Contribute
Register

i7-4930K - Asus Rampage IV Extreme - 32GB RAM - GTX 770 4GB [Success!!]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Helloooo. I just can't get this thing to boot so I can install el capitan. Tried about every combination of commands (npci=0x2000, graphicsenabler=yes/no, pcirootuid=0, usekernelcache=no, nv_disable=1, -v)and they all end up at "still waiting for root device". Using -x gets me to another page where it says "error allocating 0x4767 pages.. and "error loading kernel cache". tried using the asusx79 zip's r4e kexts, config.plist, ssdt's and usb2fix zip too. Also tried different usb2 and usb3 sticks. No change. I know this is mainly a thread about the Extreme motherboard, but i'm sure someone must've tried this guide with a Formula...
Not sure about the formula board. I'm abroad on a road trip and I don't have access to all my Hackintosh files. You should be able to install if you use the "USB fix only" ssdt (no other ssdts or dsdt) and the config for the r4e.

Thanks shilohh for taking the time. The device is not advertised to work with OS X although someone posted that it worked OOB in another thread. However, when I mentioned in that thread that it works for me in Yosemite but not El Cap, someone chimed in that he had the same experience with the ORICO card and couldn't get it to work in El Cap either. There is a second card mentioned in that thread that one user vouches for, an Inateck KT4006 that works for him OOB in El Cap using native drivers. I went ahead and ordered one as it wasn't too expensive and USB3 is important to me as a photographer/videographer that needs to download high capacity memory cards quickly. I should have the Inateck card next week and will report back here if it works as it may be a painless solution for who need USB3.
Apple probably tightened up on the device ID matching for USB 3. This may be able to be solved by injecting the card with a supported device ID instead of the manufacturer's or by patching the USB 3 kext. For now you could try switching to MacPro3,1 or 5,1 (because 6,1 has no PCI slots) to see if the drivers will load.

Hi Everyone,

I just purchased a new RED Scarlet Mysterium and am now looking for a computer to go with it (which means I'm looking for a computer to edit 4k/5k video with). I am really happy to find this post since I've been struggling to try to find a build on my own. I was originally looking at a low level mac pro but after seeing Shilohh's build I am really reconsidering, it seems like I can get even more power for less money.

I realize that the original post was made over a year ago, and I have been trying to navigate a bit through the progression but I get pretty lost in the computer jargon since it's not my field. I guess my question is, are the original specs Shilohh used still pretty recommended or have there been any significant updates since then? I did have a hard time finding a few things from his specs such as the graphics card, tower etc. If all of this has already been posted somewhere in these 180 pgs please just direct me to where I need to go, I don't want you to have to re-answer something that has already been covered. But I would appreciate any help / guidance any one can offer here, thanks.

Hi Everyone,

I just purchased a new RED Scarlet Mysterium and am now looking for a computer to go with it. I am really happy to find this post since I've been struggling to try to find a build on my own. I was originally looking at a low level mac pro but after seeing Shilohh's build I am really reconsidering, it seems like I can get even more power for less money.

I realize that the original post was made over a year ago, and I have been trying to navigate a bit through the progression but I get pretty lost in the computer jargon since it's not my field. I guess my question is, are the original specs Shilohh used still pretty recommended or have there been any significant updates since then? I did have a hard time finding a few things from his specs such as the graphics card, tower etc. If all of this has already been posted somewhere in these 180 pgs please just direct me to where I need to go, I don't want you to have to re-answer something that has already been covered. But I would appreciate any help / guidance any one can offer here, thanks.
Hi Pete, welcome to the community. I'm currently running a Rampage IV black edition motherboard, a gtx Titan x and a gtx 980 graphics cards. I've updated this guide over time to try to make it compatible with new hardware like the graphics cards. I'd recommend you go with a 980, 980ti, or Titan x depending on your budget. They are much faster and more efficient than the 7xx cards.

Cool, thanks for the advice Shilohh.
Have you updated anything else from the original post other than the mother board and graphics card you just mentioned? Or is there somewhere where you have listed newer updated parts?
Lastly, would you say that this build would handle editing big projects of 4k/5k footage without much trouble?

No shilohh, this is what I ordered:

http://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B00JEVLEFQ/

I need the internal USB3 20 pin connector for a front chassis mounted card reader. That link is from the French Amazon site since that's where I live. I believe this is the identical card on the US site:

http://www.amazon.com/Cord-free-Inateck-Controller-Internal-Connector/dp/B00JFR2H64/

like I said, I'll report back when I have the card to let you know if it works OOB in El Cap. I'm a bit skeptical though as your previous comments about USB3 in El Cap being linked to the device ID makes sense to me. That would explain why others claimed the Orico card works for them in El Cap and why it doesn't for me. If I change my SMBios from MacPro 6,1 to 5,1 you mentioned there would be a slight penalty in power consumption. Are there any other downsides you're aware of besides that?

thanks!

Not sure about the formula board. I'm abroad on a road trip and I don't have access to all my Hackintosh files. You should be able to install if you use the "USB fix only" ssdt (no other ssdts or dsdt) and the config for the r4e.

Thanks for replying. I got a bit further in the boot process with your advice but still not booting..I'll keep at it. I get new errors now:) If i wait long enough after the "service exited with abnormal code:255", i get a grey screen with beachball.

Attachments

• 20151017_010937.jpg
    20151017_010937.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 94
Last edited:
@darksaviour,
That grey screen w spin ball may just be the system/installer loading/unpacking files from the flash drive (through usb2) as they are a lot slower than a hard drive or ssd connected through sata. Let it sit at that screen for up to 20 min an see if it gets to the next step.

@kyphotog,
The one I linked to has a drop down menu that will allow you to select the 5 port with 20 pin internal version. I'll order one when I get back to Texas. The thing I'm curious about is if all the ports can have full bandwidth simultaneously.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back