Contribute
Register

i7-4930K - Asus Rampage IV Extreme - 32GB RAM - GTX 770 4GB [Success!!]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi again !

I dont want to be double posting but I did clean install and got stuck at exactly the same place. "7e", right after the boot without caches. I manage to boot to the OS, however during Maverick Setup it says I am not connected to the internet. I am connected through ethernet and have tried all possible options but without success. I have tested the cable with two other notebooks and it is working fine. I have read through this forum and didnt find anyone with the same problem. I am attaching the picture. When I continue with the setup choosing the option withut internet. I get stuck when extracting the MAC address as described before Furthermore, As soon as I boot into the OS I get the message about RAM being in wrong places. On my Backup Drive ML 10.8.4 I never had any issues with RAM or LAN. Can someone please suggest some solution as I need to get this Hack running ASAP with MAverick. Attaching pictures.

thanx very much.
2015-04-14 16.26.12.jpg2015-04-14-16.29_web.jpg

Hi Shilohh,

thanks for making this kext! I use Pikes technique for a patch free AppleHDA.kext, and it works great as it should survive most system updates without having to manually repatch.

However, at least with AppleHDA I found that this does not work when you try to inject this type of "patch kext" by placing it in /EFI/Clover/kexts/....

So this might be still a problem with recovery partitions and installer drives. Haven't tried this, but I think it won't work then, leading to a black screen again.

Therefore I still think that changing SMBIOS is the only easy way to regain a completely running system.
That is why I put MacPro5,1 and nv_disable=1 in the config.plist for the usb installer. If anyone has an issue. Just boot from the usb installer by holding f8 and choosing it when the boot override appears. Then choose the recovery partition or the boot drive from the clover GUI instead of the USB installer. This causes the boot loader and its config.plist from the USB stick to be used to boot whatever drive you choose in the clover GUI. Alternatively, you could just change the smbios to 5,1 and add nv_disable=1 to the boot args string in the clover GUI of the boot drives bootloader but that is more work in my opinion. Just keep the USB stick that you created with the current version of this guide handy and plug it in and boot from it if you need to.

Hi again !

I dont want to be double posting but I did clean install and got stuck at exactly the same place. "7e", right after the boot without caches. I manage to boot to the OS, however during Maverick Setup it says I am not connected to the internet. I am connected through ethernet and have tried all possible options but without success. I have tested the cable with two other notebooks and it is working fine. I have read through this forum and didnt find anyone with the same problem. I am attaching the picture. When I continue with the setup choosing the option withut internet. I get stuck when extracting the MAC address as described before Furthermore, As soon as I boot into the OS I get the message about RAM being in wrong places. On my Backup Drive ML 10.8.4 I never had any issues with RAM or LAN. Can someone please suggest some solution as I need to get this Hack running ASAP with MAverick. Attaching pictures.

thanx very much.
View attachment 134034View attachment 134035

EDIT: If you are still creating your user account just skip that screen or choose my computer does not connect and set up the ethernet after you complete your account.

Try opening system prefs/network and switch ipv4 to off. then click apply.
Screen Shot 2015-04-14 at 12.48.26 PM.png
then switch it to DHCP and click apply.
Screen Shot 2015-04-14 at 12.47.41 PM.png

I have never seen that ram warning because all of my slots are full. You never saw it in 10.8 because apple never had a X79 system till 10.9.2 where they must have added system checks for the MacPro6,1 when they released it. Also, I'm sure you were using MP5,1 then. The correct way to install 4 sticks of ram is according to the R4E manual. Every other red slot.
Screen Shot 2015-04-14 at 12.54.19 PM.pngScreen Shot 2015-04-14 at 12.54.42 PM.png
If you've installed this way already and you don't like the message you could try installing all on the left side and see if that causes any stability issues.

Hello !
First of all thank you for reply. The problem is, in the network preferences there is no ethernet listed at all. The left field is empty. Attaching picture. It looks as if the LAN is not recognised at all. There are 2 settings in the BIOS. I have set it up according to the instructions in the guide. If I remember right the first LAN option was enabled and the second was something like "INTEL Exprom" I left it disabled.
The memory is a secondary problem for me at the moment. I have 4 sticks of ram bought as a kit installed in red sockets (I have to confirm as I am at home). I am trying to create another Clover Boot USB just to be sure and try again tomorrow. Also during the setup the screen is stretched and not filling up whole monitor. It is normal until proper driver is installed right? I have GTX580.

Thank you

NEtwork-Prefs.jpg

@ivanski,
Yes it is normal to have bad resolution and artifacts while you are booted from the usb stick. You want to restart booted from the clover bootloader that was installed to your boot drive after all your kexts and acpi files are installed. That way the dsdt code and Ethernet kext are active. Then follow the instructions above. When booted from the USB, there is no active dsdt.

That is why I put MacPro5,1 and nv_disable=1 in the config.plist for the usb installer. If anyone has an issue. Just boot from the usb installer by holding f8 and choosing it when the boot override appears. Then choose the recovery partition or the boot drive from the clover GUI instead of the USB installer. This causes the boot loader and its config.plist from the USB stick to be used to boot whatever drive you choose in the clover GUI. Alternatively, you could just change the smbios to 5,1 and add nv_disable=1 to the boot args string in the clover GUI of the boot drives bootloader but that is more work in my opinion. Just keep the USB stick that you created with the current version of this guide handy and plug it in and boot from it if you need to.

Yes, but this makes the recovery partition kinda useless. So I think I will ultimately change my SMBIOS to MacPro 5,1. This also has the advantage that I can spare the additional kext and can use the same Clover setup for everything. Also I wouldn't need nv_disable, since my GPU (original GK110 Titan) is still able to boot OOTB, but only when not using the 6,1 SMBIOS.

Yes, but this makes the recovery partition kinda useless. So I think I will ultimately change my SMBIOS to MacPro 5,1. This also has the advantage that I can spare the additional kext and can use the same Clover setup for everything. Also I wouldn't need nv_disable, since my GPU (original GK110 Titan) is still able to boot OOTB, but only when not using the 6,1 SMBIOS.
You can add your acpi files and ethernet kext to the USB's EFI partition, boot from the stick's bootloader and choose the recovery partition if you want but why would you when you have a perfectly functional installer plugged in (No need to let recovery download the installer). Not really sure what you want to use the recovery partition for?

I use the recovery HD mainly for frequent startup disk checks (and subsequent repair if needed), and its simply much more convenient than to search for my installer USB first, plug it in and boot from that. Its also quite a bit faster. Ah and there was an occasion or two where the TM restore feature really saved my a**. Last time, I used it for restoring my 10.10.2 installation before I knew what was going on with the 10.10.3 update, so I was able to boot and finish some really important work. Ironically, the issue that the recovery HD promises to fix seems not to apply to me, as I was able to successfully restore my whole boot drive before using TM. ;)

I had absolutely no issue with 10.10.3 combo but I do have dual gtx 5xx cards properly injected. The only thing that has crashed my system was the web driver in 10.10.2. Oh and I had some grief from the universalusbxhci kext on a few occasions.

@shiloh

Thanks for your prompt reply. The problem is the network prefs are empty after the reboot from HDD without caches. So if I want to edit config.plist I cant enter the MAC address. It looks as if the Os isn't seeing the LAN port at all. I am about to start from the scratch again and see what happens.

Edit1: I went through the whole process again and it is the same ....I dont know what to do next. Here is a picture of Network prefs after booting from "HDD MacOS without Caches" and running the command "networksetup -listallhardwarereports"
Screen Shot 2015-04-15 at 06.17.03.png

As a result I cannot edit the config.plist according to the guide and fill the MAC address.

thanx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back