Contribute
Register

How to build your own iMac Pro [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm running a 7980XE on a sage on bios 0502 non patched with TSCAdjust.kext.
Hey, I saw many of your posts about x299 sage. Does it work as it should?

I bough x299 sage 10g, i9-7960X. Still waiting for GPU (1080 TI) and hoping to try installing using this guide next week. I installed three hackintoshes in my life, but it was MUCH easier than this guide.

Could you maybe share your basic installation files?

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Or, to make it more broad - maybe someone else with x299 sage is willing to share some caveats?

Last edited:
Hey, I saw many of your posts about x299 sage. Does it work as it should?

I bough x299 sage 10g, i9-7960X. Still waiting for GPU (1080 TI) and hoping to try installing using this guide next week. I installed three hackintoshes in my life, but it was MUCH easier than this guide.

Could you maybe share your basic installation files?

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Or, to make it more broad - maybe someone else with x299 sage is willing to share some caveats?

Hi, I know there is one or two other users who have a sage but from what I can tell everything works great. Audio, USB, sleep/wake, wifi/bt, imessage, etc. Just make sure to take your time when you go through the guide. It looks like you have two 1080tis so I'd recommend starting out with one in the first slot then once you have everything working add the second one. I originally had a 1080 TI but switched to a vega since vegas have much better support in Mac Os. Itunes protected videos, hdcp, and airplay work OTB with vega and I could never get it to work with my TI. The major difference you’ll have to account for is the pci implementation as the devices and locations differ from the X299 deluxe but I can help you when you get there. The only issue might be getting your 10G Ethernet ports. This thread may help
Yeah I'm not sure. This thread might help since the x99-e 10G WS also uses the X550A-T2. https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/asus-x99-e-10g-ws-needed.218019/#post-1738464

Best of luck and let us know how it goes!

Last edited:
Great to hear! 60Hz will be fine for me. How do you like the setup overall?

It's quite interesting actually. I've never had Ultrawides before, let alone 2 38".

It's an insane amount of workspace, I feel like I'm working for NASA. It's basically the equivalent of 3x 27" 1440p monitors.

I have After Effects full screen on the right side and timelines/sequences on the left side....and I just CMD+TAB between Premiere, Photoshop, Illustrator and so on.

It is a very weird aspect ratio for computers, but I think it would be excellent for editors since you can fit the whole timeline on a single monitor and maybe have tools etc on another.

To be honest, one 38" would be enough, but you'll probably need a 2nd 4k/5k display to proof your video if you're an editor. Something like this in attached file. He has an iMac Pro at the top and below the 38" LG.

But otherwise it's A LOT of work space having 2 of these monitors. I will find out in a few weeks if my head/eyes are strained or not.

Attachments

• LG-38WK95C-W_Ultrawide_Monitor_01.jpg
    LG-38WK95C-W_Ultrawide_Monitor_01.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 191
@kgp have you been able to control the DisplayPort or HDMI audio via keyboard?

This tool allows both brightness and volume adjustments natively for the 38" LG.

https://github.com/Tyilo/MonitorControl.OSX
http://down.dandu.be/MonControl.zip

Would have been nice if we were able to control via Apple keyboard.

Update:

https://github.com/the0neyouseek/MonitorControl

This fork works for me. I can use keyboard volume on a Mac keyboard, unfortunately OSD volume covers the macOS one but it still works.

Hi, I know there is one or two other users who have a sage but from what I can tell everything works great. Audio, USB, sleep/wake, wifi/bt, imessage, etc. Just make sure to take your time when you go through the guide. It looks like you have two 1080tis so I'd recommend starting out with one in the first slot then once you have everything working add the second one. I originally had a 1080 TI but switched to a vega since vegas have much better support in Mac Os. Itunes protected videos, hdcp, and airplay work OTB with vega and I could never get it to work with my TI. The major difference you’ll have to account for is the pci implementation as the devices and locations differ from the X299 deluxe but I can help you when you get there. The only issue might be getting your 10G Ethernet ports. This thread may help

Best of luck and let us know how it goes!

This is great news, thanks. I was hoping you were still active here.

I think I will start with other guide, for Mojave since final will be out in 10 days. It is also from kgp, so it seems "compatible" with this one. Then I will probably just need to adopt a bit for final release in two weeks. Would you mind if I ask you for help over in that thread? I will try to follow the guide precisely and ask only if it gets neccessary (I am using this weekend to try to understand SSDT and DSDT, patches and Clover in general a bit better). This computer should replace my Mac Pro (2013) and I will try to document the process and results for other members.

Update:

https://github.com/the0neyouseek/MonitorControl

This fork works for me. I can use keyboard volume on a Mac keyboard, unfortunately OSD volume covers the macOS one but it still works.

Works! :thumbup:.. Awesome, man! :headbang: That's absolutely brilliant! :clap:..

I mean..

native brightness keyboard control I already gained with the small @bensge app..

Thus the respective gain with Monitorcontrol.app is nice but still somewhat marginal..

But DP/HDMI digital audio control was always a pain in my neck :banghead:;)..

And now.. :p

Suddenly easy DP/HDMI Volume control from a menu-bar GUI :p:p

AND..

even native DP/HDMI Volume control with the correct volume keys of my Magic Wireless Apple Keyboard. :p:p:p

You made my day, @izo1 ! ;):wave:

This is great news, thanks. I was hoping you were still active here.

I think I will start with other guide, for Mojave since final will be out in 10 days. It is also from kgp, so it seems "compatible" with this one. Then I will probably just need to adopt a bit for final release in two weeks. Would you mind if I ask you for help over in that thread? I will try to follow the guide precisely and ask only if it gets neccessary (I am using this weekend to try to understand SSDT and DSDT, patches and Clover in general a bit better). This computer should replace my Mac Pro (2013) and I will try to document the process and results for other members.

Yep that’s fine! The guides and process are very similar and I’ve been running Mojave since the first public betas :)

FYI: Nvidia hasn’t released drivers for Mojave yet

Last edited:
Works! :thumbup:.. Awesome, man! :headbang: That's absolutely brilliant! :clap:..

I mean..

native brightness keyboard control I already gained with the small @bensge app..

Thus the respective gain with Monitorcontrol.app is nice but still somewhat marginal..

But DP/HDMI digital audio control was always a pain in my neck :banghead:;)..

And now.. :p

Suddenly easy DP/HDMI Volume control from a menu-bar GUI :p:p

AND..

even native DP/HDMI Volume control with the correct volume keys of my Magic Wireless Apple Keyboard. :p:p:p

You made my day, @izo1 ! ;):wave:

Hey that’s great :clap:

I use that little app to control volume and brightness now on both 38” LG and it works fine via keyboard media shortcuts. So you don’t need nativedisplaybrightness anymore.

The other downside is I always had Fn mapped to make volume/brightness adjustments but now it forces you to directly use f1/f2 directly causing issues with some other app shortcuts but it’s alright.

You can use Karabiner to map to different buttons but oh well.

Reactions: kgp
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back