CPU
i9-9980XE
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
The Display Port Boot Screen issue is definitely not a macOS issue.. it exclusively affects the early system boot (splash screen, clover and verbose boot messages) and not the MacOS System. Same issues when booting the system with Windows or macOS! I am sure the issue is due the Display Port 1.2 implementation on the monitor and the Display Port 1.4 implementation on the Vega. And basically it is some incompatibility between monitor's and Vega's firmware..

The 30 Hz HDMI issue indeed seems macOS related, although the need for enabling HDMI compatibility mode on the monitor for a proper monitor wake again rather points to Display Port or Firmware incompatibilities between the Monitor and Vegas..

I never observed any of these issues with my LG 38 inch, when using my former Nvidia GPU and the respective web drivers.

And the issues really relate with ALL Vegas!

I guess the responsibility definitely is at the side of AMD/ATI and LG or any other monitor manufacturer still implementing the old Display Port 1.2 and HDMI 2.0 standards..

Did you try the 2nd HDMI port? I read somewhere one of the HDMI ports is limiting...

kgp

Retired
Motherboard
ASUS WS X299 Sage 10G
CPU
i9-7980XE
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Did you try the 2nd HDMI port? I read somewhere one of the HDMI ports is limiting...
  • Same issues with the 2x HDMI ports of the Nitro+ Vega 64.. Same issues with the 2x DisplayPorts ports of the Nitro+ Vega 64..
  • Same issues with the 3x HDMI ports of the Gigabyte Vega 64.. Same issues with the 3x DisplayPorts ports of the Gigabyte Vega 64
  • Same issues with the 1x HDMI port of the Vega Frontier.. Same issues with the 3x DisplayPorts of the Vega Frontier..
  • Same issues with the 2x HDMI ports of my LG 38 inch
  • Same issues with the 1x DisplayPort of my LG 38 inch
In fact that was my reason for hesitating that much time to change from Nvidia to Vegas... permanently lacking Web drivers during macOS Public Betas finally made the race for implementing a Vega on my system.. although the remaining HDMI and DisplayPort issues at native 4K or WUHD screen resolution are anything else than acceptable or satisfying or something one would like to live with.. At least not on a 8000$ system...

Last edited:
Motherboard
Gigabyte Vision D
CPU
Graphics
Vega 56
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Mac Pro
Yeah those are great cards.

I'm wondering if I should get a 2nd 38" LG Ultrawide...for a setup like this

View attachment 349815

Has anyone tried this? Is it too much eye strain?

Well, I have this LG, and while it's not curved (I wish it was) https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-43UD79-B-4k-uhd-led-monitor., I've had no issues with the HDMI or DP ports with it. IF I didn't have it, I would go for the 38" curved...still, I'm tempted.....that looks fantastic (two of them, maybe a bit big...??). That just looks almost perfect (for Editors, that is...)......Have you considered going for two 34" curved?

I should note that I tested this monitor (my 43") in 5K mode with SwitchResX, and it worked, and looked great. So, I could go 5K if I wanted to....

Last edited:
Motherboard
Asus X299A
CPU
i7-7800X
Graphics
GTX 980 Ti
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I seem to have better luck removing the NVidia from the SSDT, and using the new Whatevergreen kext. I am using a GTX 980 ti though.
After my third Nvidia related kernel panic today, I am officially done trying to make these cards work. It's heartbreaking, because I really do need CUDA for my Adobe applications, but the constant KPs are just not acceptable.

Motherboard
ASUS Prime X299-A
CPU
i9-7920X
Graphics
RX Vega 64
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
@dustinwilson what did you use to get the new HEX number in your "Replace" section specific for your card? I am having the same issue with my Nvidia audio not implementing. I know how to convert a number into HEX, but in reading through the forum I am not tracking on what identifying number from the card do I use to convert into HEX for this replacement to work.

Hey @Zephlon ,

Any reply? I have the same issue.

Cheers.

Motherboard
ASUS WS X299 SAGE/10G
CPU
i9-9980XE
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Well, I have this LG, and while it's not curved (I wish it was) https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-43UD79-B-4k-uhd-led-monitor., I've had no issues with the HDMI or DP ports with it. IF I didn't have it, I would go for the 38" curved...still, I'm tempted.....that looks fantastic (two of them, maybe a bit big...??). That just looks almost perfect (for Editors, that is...)......Have you considered going for two 34" curved?

I should note that I tested this monitor (my 43") in 5K mode with SwitchResX, and it worked, and looked great. So, I could go 5K if I wanted to....

I would totally get dual 5k monitors that's 16:10 or 16:9...but thought for $750 the 38" Ultrawide was a good deal. 34" Wasn't on sale so didn't get that.

I'm mostly in Photoshop/Illustrator/InDesign/After Effects all day long, am curious how this is going to work out since I have been using dual monitors for so long.

But yeah 2x38" Ultrawides might be way too much and not sure it would even fit on my desk.

Motherboard
Asus Prime x299 Deluxe
CPU
i9-7900x
Graphics
Radeon Vega Frontier Edition
I would totally get dual 5k monitors that's 16:10 or 16:9...but thought for $750 the 38" Ultrawide was a good deal. 34" Wasn't on sale so didn't get that.

I'm mostly in Photoshop/Illustrator/InDesign/After Effects all day long, am curious how this is going to work out since I have been using dual monitors for so long.

But yeah 2x38" Ultrawides might be way too much and not sure it would even fit on my desk.
I went back and forth for awhile with monitors. I ended up deciding on 3 Benq p3200u 4k monitors.
After figuring out the proper angles they fit on my desk no problem.
I like the setup a lot for my workspace. It is nice to have them setup so that they are all 90 degrees to my view from where I'm sitting.
I never cared for running 2 monitors whether I had them side by side or one or the other. Although one over the other is nice if you have limited desk space.

RuleBreaker01

Banned
Reactions: kgp

RuleBreaker01

Banned
Like you, I only know about the 34" 5k version that only works with Thunderbolt 3 though and not DP1.4 (which is not super mainstream yet)...

The 34" 5k is not even out yet. At least in the USA, it might be out in Europe.

the 34" 5K has both a TB3 input and DP1.4 you see it in the spec (https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-34WK95U-W-ultrawide-monitor) it was also confirmed by a LG agent on the LG forums where they announced it.
but just looking at a few store here, they show it as available on January 1, 2019.. Why would you bother announcing something so much ahead of time and cannibalise your own sale is beyond me.

kgp

Retired
Motherboard
ASUS WS X299 Sage 10G
CPU
i9-7980XE
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
OK. I found this reply by LG in some other forum. Seems that the LG 34WK95U-W really also implements DisplayPort 1.4 besides 1x TB3 and 2x HDMI..

Yes, sir! Nice! :thumbup:

Screenshot 2018-09-08 at 15.30.56.png

Status
Not open for further replies.