Contribute
Register

Guide: X79 OS X Controlled SpeedStep (CPU Power Management)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guide: Asus X79 OS X Controlled SpeedStep

Something´s wrong !!!
You should be getting more P-states than just 12 and 38

Yes, I agree that all is not perfect.
That being said, the processor is throttling and running at temperatures and watts that are reflective of that fact.
I will continue to research in an attempt to resolve the Pstate issue. Any thoughts anyone has would be welcome!!!

This is awesome, thank you to all who compiled and made this available!
This is what I am getting as far as states but it is way better than without the modifications, the processor actually functions as it should!
Intel has a nice little tool it is called the Intel Power Gadget.
It can be downloaded here: http://software.intel.com/en-us/arti...ower-gadget-20
Which version of AICPUPMI are you using? If you compiled your own without the logIPGStyle option, you will only see PStates actually reached so you'll need to load AICPUPMI and let it run for a while and try to do tasks that will stress the CPU at different intensities (not just full load).

Are your CState residencies all 0x0 ?

This is awesome, thank you to all who compiled and made this available!

View attachment 88355This is what I am getting as far as states but it is way better than without the modifications, the processor actually functions as it should! :headbang:

Intel has a nice little tool it is called the Intel Power Gadget.

It can be downloaded here: http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-power-gadget-20

Make sure your SSDT script is right. I was having the same problem and the issue was the SSDT.
I have your same MB and CPU.

Great guide! Before I get going, how can I find out if my BIOS are PM unlocked?

I installed the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagementInfo.kext to see if it could help me find out but it gave me a KP so had to delete it.

Thank you so much for this guide! It was really straight forward and easy even for a total noob like me. My CPU is now at 4 W and 1.19ghz idle :headbang:

Which version of AICPUPMI are you using? If you compiled your own without the logIPGStyle option, you will only see PStates actually reached so you'll need to load AICPUPMI and let it run for a while and try to do tasks that will stress the CPU at different intensities (not just full load).

Are your CState residencies all 0x0 ?

Your competencies far exceed mine. I am thankful that my processor is throttling now and running at the same temperatures that the CPU is running at in Windows 7.

To be honest I removed the kext from S/L/E/ and then tried to run it manually as instructed here:
"Do not put this kext in SLE. Run it manually!First set permissions.
Terminal:sudo chown -R root:wheel [Drag AICPUPMI kext to terminal to autofill path]
sudo chmod -R 755 [Drag AICPUPMI kext to terminal to autofill path]
Then run it.
Terminal:sudo kextload [Drag AICPUPMI kext to terminal to autofill path]
Run GeekBench and some other apps for a while.
Terminal to show the data:
cat /var/log/system.log | grep "AICPUPMI:"
Also, you can open console and look for "AICPUPMI".
To unload AICPUPMI, reboot or:
Terminal:sudo kextunload [Drag AICPUPMI kext to terminal to autofill path]"
Those are the instruction in the text file included with the .kext download in order to run AICPUPMI manually, they did not work for me, so I reinstalled the kext in S/L/E/ and set permissions as per the instructions here:

1) Download the attached kext and copy it to: /System/Library/Extensions/
2) Fix ownership and permissions with the tool of your choice, or do it from a terminal window with:
Code:
sudo chown -R root:wheel /S*/L*/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagementInfo.kext
sudo chmod -R 755 /S*/L*/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagementInfo.kext
sudo touch /S*/L*/Extensions
sudo -k
exit
3) Reboot
4) Use this terminal command to show the data:
Code:
cat /var/log/system.log | grep "AICPUPMI:"
This is the final result after doing that, it appears that all is well and the processor is running at various speeds or "states":
No_Name_PStates2014-04-04 at 6.42.09 PM.jpg

shilohh, does this look like speed step is functioning properly? I am thinking yes! Time to celebrate!:headbang:

Toleda has just uploaded a great compiled version (4.0) of AppleIntelCPUPowerManagementInfo.kext (post #1, tools section).
That one will show iGPU P-States as well.
  • Put it on desktop
  • Run KextBeast
  • Repair Permission with Disk Utility
  • Rebuild cache with Kext Wizard (or anything you prefer)
  • Reboot
  • Type cat /var/log/system.log | grep "AICPUPMI:" in Terminal
ASRock Z87 pstates.png

Toleda has just uploaded a great compiled version (4.0) of AppleIntelCPUPowerManagementInfo.kext (post #1, tools section).
That one will show iGPU P-States as well.
  • Put it on desktop
  • Run KextBeast
  • Repair Permission with Disk Utility
  • Rebuild cache with Kext Wizard (or anything you prefer)
  • Reboot
  • Type cat /var/log/system.log | grep "AICPUPMI:" in Terminal
There are no integrated GPUs in X79 so it will probably panic an X79 system. You must have posted this in the wrong thread.

There are no integrated GPUs in X79 so it will probably panic an X79 system. You must have posted this in the wrong thread.

:) Oh yes! My bad!

@ MrMR2
Sounds like you're good. The most important thing is that you have low power draw at light or no load and functioning turbo under full load. I haven't done enough testing with IvyBridge-E to be sure but the only thing that looks odd me is that your IRTLs are 0x0. If it's working right I wouldn't worry about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back