Contribute
Register

Guide: X79 OS X Controlled SpeedStep (CPU Power Management)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guide: Asus X79 OS X Controlled SpeedStep

Thank you. The RIVE is water cooled (dual 780s+CPU+Mobo) so swapping the CPUs to see if the ram will work in the RIVE with the CPU out of the sabertooth isn't going to happen till I service the loop. I was amazed by how little 800MHz faster ram increased GeekBench on the sabertooth. I saw less than 500 points difference.

Thank you. The RIVE is water cooled (dual 780s+CPU+Mobo) so swapping the CPUs to see if the ram will work in the RIVE with the CPU out of the sabertooth isn't going to happen till I service the loop. I was amazed by how little 800MHz faster ram increased GeekBench on the sabertooth. I saw less than 500 points difference.
Yeah when it comes to over clocking all CPUs will have different capabilities. Dropping my ram from 2133 to 1600 only cost me about 500-700 points

I have to thank you for your work, I know you have gotten it a lot; but wow. With this guide it seems X79 is more compatible and easy to set up than anything else. Basic DSDT for the RIVE and your kexts/ssdt and both my x79 boards idle very low, have fantastic temps, throttle up perfectly, and sleep without further tweaking.

It works on my X79 Sabertooth, 3970x! I had to reload the AICPUPMI terminal stuff a second time before it actually said something other than "0" but the monitors and the gadget were sure talking enough showing as low as 1.2 GHz and 25 watts and up to 4.0 GHz and 153 watts. Temperature keeps dropping as I do less and less and the fans are much quieter.

Thank you very much!

Hi Shilohh,

Great guide! And I have a question:

What is X79X86PlatformPlugin.kext exactly for? I do not have installed this and all seems to rune fine nonetheless. But: I use a custom Version of fakeSMC, or else the ssdtPRgen script will not work correctly. Does your kext essentially do the same, so - in other words - if I would use this, I won't need a custom patched fakeSMC anymore?

Thanks for any insights!

Hi Shilohh,

Great guide! And I have a question:

What is X79X86PlatformPlugin.kext exactly for? I do not have installed this and all seems to rune fine nonetheless. But: I use a custom Version of fakeSMC, or else the ssdtPRgen script will not work correctly. Does your kext essentially do the same, so - in other words - if I would use this, I won't need a custom patched fakeSMC anymore?

Thanks for any insights!

It loads the StepContextDict of a MacMini which allows lower states to be reached. If you're using Andrew's (RD) fakesmc then I think he has it loaded from there instead. With a separate kext you can update fakesmc.

It loads the StepContextDict of a MacMini which allows lower states to be reached. If you're using Andrew's (RD) fakesmc then I think he has it loaded from there instead. With a separate kext you can update fakesmc.

Yes, I can confirm this - just installed the kext and then updated to the newest HWSensors / FakeSMC. CPU PM seems to work just as before, and as an added bonus I also now get the multis per core with the newest version. So all in all I'd prefer your solution over a patched FakeSMC.

Thanks!

... but I still cannot seem to get PM fully working. ARRRRRGGGG - slowly I will go mad about this :crazy:

So what I see is this:

PHP:
09.05.14 14:42:33,000 kernel[0]: AICPUPMI: MSR_PKG_C2_RESIDENCY.......(0x60d) : 0x6B5800650A
09.05.14 14:42:33,000 kernel[0]: AICPUPMI: MSR_PKG_C3_RESIDENCY.......(0x3f8) : 0x0
09.05.14 14:42:33,000 kernel[0]: AICPUPMI: MSR_PKG_C6_RESIDENCY.......(0x3f9) : 0x5116748C20

and this:

PHP:
09.05.14 14:43:02,000 kernel[0]: AICPUPMI: CPU P-States [ 12 23 29 34 (39) 42 ]

Any ideas what to do about this? Shilohh, if you don't mind, would be great if you could check your 4930K build if that exhibits the same symptoms. I really do not not anymore what to do about this :cry:

Hi Guys,
finally thanks to shilohh for his guide, I was able to configure correctly my hackintosh with my 3930K and Asus P9X79 Deluxe! Now speedstepper and turbo mode seems workly perfectly!
This is a screenshot of my situation
Schermata 2014-05-17 alle 20.18.49.jpg

Only thanks to this guide and after and after days of "google searching" I was able to understand that for a perfect Sandy Bridge-E cpu it was not necessary to install means the tool Tonymacx86 Multibeast both VoodooTscsync.kext both NullCpuPowerManagment.kext!

There are some things that I want to be clear, however, if someone does please answer me:

1. The first thing is why you have to change only 5 characters nell'SMBios.plist and do not use Chameleon Wizard that automatically generates even when it is selected as the configuration Mac Pro 6,1?
  2. Previously I was using the script ssdtPRGen.sh to generate ssdt.aml to put in Extra folder even without using the-c option 1 and then not forcing him to describe a Sandy Bridge CPU as Ivy Bridge. Why do I need to use the-c option 1?
  3. I'd like to know where he was taken along with the kext AppleIntelCPUPowerManagementSandE.kext X79X86PlatformPlugin.kext, that changes made ​​to the system and especially because after having installed with KextBeast after restarting clearly giving the command "sudo kextstat | grep-i 'appleintelcpu'" not I find it running but I get this?
    Code:
    [FONT=Menlo]bash-3.2# kextstat | grep -i 'appleintelcpu'[/FONT][FONT=Menlo]   20    0 0xffffff7f819d4000 0x2b000    0x2b000    com.apple.driver.AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement (299.9.9) <7 6 5 4 3 1>[/FONT]
    [FONT=Menlo]   27    0 0xffffff7f81a07000 0x3000     0x3000     com.apple.driver.AppleIntelCPUPowerManagementClient (216.0.0) <7 6 5 4 3 1>[/FONT]
    /CODE]
    [*]As a last thing, because after loading the kext AppleIntelCpuPowerManagmentInfo.kext and after viewing the logs in system.log I get a strange P-state 39 (see screenshot please) was when my cpu 3930K in default should reach maximum 38?
    [/LIST]

Sorry for my bad english, I hope someone responds to my questions...
    Thanks in advance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back