Contribute
Register

[Guide] Sierra on HP Spectre x360

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm bringing my troubleshooting here. I have no idea what the problem is. I tried installing clover to SSD as mentioned in separate thread. Maybe I didn't replace plist? Maybe the clover folder I found in the search bar wasn't the one for the EFI on the drive? I can post what I think is the EFI file but I can't confirm that that's the real one. I found it by looking for clover in the search bar. The folders location is EFI Backups/r4061/[date]/EFI. Maybe I didn't put the right plist in because I wasn't editing the right Clover folder. But here's what I have in that folder and what I want to be in the EFI
It's exactly what I thought I was EFI wasn't modified. 1 moment please.

Ok so I booted in off the hard drive. But after applying FakePCIID_Broadcom_Wifi and FakePCIID from @RehabMan the wifi card is still not working. Any tips? were there some additional steps I missed?
For the record I'm using BCM94352Z. I merely dragged and dropped the kexts into kext wizard and left the default S/L/E extension. I also tried placing them in EFI in the kexts/other folder, all to no avail!

Last edited:
OK I got wifi to work by modifying plist (rehab man's kexts didn't work or I didn't understand how to implement them).

Ok I got brightness to work as well. The computer boots up quickly I'm pretty satisfied. I'll work on battery status tomorrow (though I don't really care that much). There were a couple things I wanted to do I couldn't find good guides for.
1) The trackpad works but is way too slow. How can I adjust it's speed. In system preferences it says there is no trackpad.
2) I want to connect an external display to my computer from the HDMI port but when I plug in a monitor it doesn't work.
3) Anyway to get rid of the Logo freakout at startup?
4) When I use windows and use my wifi card it freezes the system and crashes it. Is there any way to make windows not crash?
5) Everything on the screen is way too small. I'm using a 13" 1440p screen. Things are tiny, how can I change this without reducing my resolution?

Thanks for helping me perfect my customac!

Ok so I booted in off the hard drive. But after applying FakePCIID_Broadcom_Wifi and FakePCIID from @RehabMan the wifi card is still not working. Any tips? were there some additional steps I missed?
For the record I'm using BCM94352Z. I merely dragged and dropped the kexts into kext wizard and left the default S/L/E extension. I also tried placing them in EFI in the kexts/other folder, all to no avail!

Did you forget the 'fcvo' patch? It is not optional.

OK I got wifi to work by modifying plist (rehab man's kexts didn't work or I didn't understand how to implement them).

BCM94352 requirements:
- FakePCIID.kext+FakePCIID_Broadcom_WiFi.ket
- 'fcvo' patch by the-darkvoid in your config.plist.

Ok I got brightness to work as well. The computer boots up quickly I'm pretty satisfied. I'll work on battery status tomorrow (though I don't really care that much). There were a couple things I wanted to do I couldn't find good guides for.
1) The trackpad works but is way too slow. How can I adjust it's speed. In system preferences it says there is no trackpad.
2) I want to connect an external display to my computer from the HDMI port but when I plug in a monitor it doesn't work.
3) Anyway to get rid of the Logo freakout at startup?
4) When I use windows and use my wifi card it freezes the system and crashes it. Is there any way to make windows not crash?
5) Everything on the screen is way too small. I'm using a 13" 1440p screen. Things are tiny, how can I change this without reducing my resolution?

Thanks for helping me perfect my customac!

1) Which trackpad is installed in the laptop? (also, no "Problem Reporting" files attached)
2) again... no "Problem Reporting" files
3) add/enable the boot glitch patch
4) install correct drivers?
5) https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/adding-using-hidpi-custom-resolutions.133254/

I solved the issue with the HDMI cable and I'm satisfied with the HiDPI screen now. The Windows error we can ignore for now I haven't put windows back on yet. So that just leaves me with the trackpad and the boot glitch.

RE: Boot glitch. can you point me to a page that describes how to fix it for my situation (Sierra)? I want to mention it only glitches out for a little less than a second. I saw a post you wrote about how to "minimize" the boot glitch. Is there now a way to eliminate it?
RE: Trackpad. The gestures work and it hides away when I'm typing. just the speed is slow. when I go to system preferences is says there is no trackpad so I can't adjust the speed there. Also right click doesn't work.

Also as this is my first CustoMac and everything works pretty well, how should I handle apple updates?

P.S. What is the preferred method for patching the battery. seems to be many ways. Is the guide written for this laptop for El Capitan still the preferred method?

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-installing-el-capitan-on-spectre-x360-skylake.186047/

Attachments

• Archive.zip
    64.4 KB · Views: 69
  • CLOVER.zip
    3.7 MB · Views: 75
Last edited:
RE: Boot glitch. can you point me to a page that describes how to fix it for my situation (Sierra)? I want to mention it only glitches out for a little less than a second. I saw a post you wrote about how to "minimize" the boot glitch. Is there now a way to eliminate it?

No way to eliminate it entirely.
Patching for it reduces the severity or trades it for black screen.
Your config.plist is corrupt:
Code:
SPEEDY-NUC:kozlek.git rehabman$ plutil -lint /Users/rehabman/Downloads/CLOVER/config.plist 
/Users/rehabman/Downloads/CLOVER/config.plist: Encountered unexpected character  on line 471 while looking for open tag

RE: Trackpad. The gestures work and it hides away when I'm typing. just the speed is slow. when I go to system preferences is says there is no trackpad so I can't adjust the speed there. Also right click doesn't work.

No "Problem Reporting" files attached.
Read FAQ, "Problem Reporting"
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/

P.S. What is the preferred method for patching the battery. seems to be many ways. Is the guide written for this laptop for El Capitan still the preferred method?

The guide is linked from the FAQ.

No way to eliminate it entirely.
Patching for it reduces the severity or trades it for black screen.
Your config.plist is corrupt:
Code:
SPEEDY-NUC:kozlek.git rehabman$ plutil -lint /Users/rehabman/Downloads/CLOVER/config.plist
/Users/rehabman/Downloads/CLOVER/config.plist: Encountered unexpected character  on line 471 while looking for open tag

Read FAQ, "Problem Reporting"
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/

The guide is linked from the FAQ.
Sorry, I'm quite new to all this. My plist file is corrupt? How do I fix it? What is is effecting? Again everything is working extremely smoothly except trackpad and a little glitch on boot. Is this is reference to the boot graphical glitch? What files are necessary to help with the trackpad? I did patch the plist including editing it in a text editor to get the wifi to work (which fixed it).

Looking at the code in sublime, 481 is the last line of the patch that fixed the wifi. I did paste it in, its not indented properly. Could that cause it? I am a programmer, usually spacing and indenting have no effect on code.

EDIT: I did a shutdown and boot to see if this plist screwed anything up. I haven't changed anything recently but now my username and icon are to the right of the password entry on the initial login screen :mad:
Actually come to think of it the might be the first reboot with the hiDPI resolution enabled...

EDIT2: Yeah just checked when I boot in high DPI the username and avatar are aligned right, when I change back to a non hiDPI res it goes back to the right place... weird. Also I do recall spacing can make a difference in XML but I found a video on youtube where the guy just copy an pastes the code into the plist in textedit. incidentally doing so fixed the wifi, so maybe the system can read it ok but just Xcode doesn't like it. should I erase the patch and reapply in xcode? I'm not sure how to do that as I don't see a code interface, just a guy representation of the xml.

Last edited:
Sorry, I'm quite new to all this. My plist file is corrupt? How do I fix it? What is is effecting?

Never edit your config.plist with a text editor.
Always use a plist editor such as Xcode or PlistEdit Pro.
Go back to a known-good config.plist and add whatever you were trying to add with a plist editor instead.

Again everything is working extremely smoothly except trackpad and a little glitch on boot. Is this is reference to the boot graphical glitch? What files are necessary to help with the trackpad? I did patch the plist including editing it in a text editor to get the wifi to work (which fixed it).

Looking at the code in sublime, 481 is the last line of the patch that fixed the wifi. I did paste it in, its not indented properly. Could that cause it? I am a programmer, usually spacing and indenting have no effect on code.

Once you create corrupt XML, it can be extremely difficult to find the cause.
I think you added some Unicode text to your file... (must be ASCII).
I fixed it for you in the attachment. Don't use a text editor on it any more...
Note: It does not have the "boot glitch" patch...

Attachments

• config.plist.zip
    3.5 KB · Views: 76
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back