Contribute
Register

[Guide] Lenovo Thinkpad T440S using Clover UEFI hotpatch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can confirm. This works great.
Almost perfect - because it still does the weird jump on an accidental three finger touch.
It is getting better overtime, 4 finger gestures have been introduced recently but they are unstable for now, they will be much better on next update and other problems like the one you mentioned may become better.
I ordered the touchpad with physical buttons for my X240 and as soon as i get it, i will start playing around with the values so i can make them as close to perfect as possible.

It is getting better overtime, 4 finger gestures have been introduced recently but they are unstable for now, they will be much better on next update and other problems like the one you mentioned may become better.
I ordered the touchpad with physical buttons for my X240 and as soon as i get it, i will start playing around with the values so i can make them as close to perfect as possible.
While the 3 finger gesture can be a bit finicky at times, it's miles better than the old kext we had. Having the interactive gesture is fantastic. Can't wait to see if you're able to help fine-tune it.

Are there any major updates needed to help transition to Catalina? I'm still on Mojave on both of my hacks since I'm using some software that still does not work yet with Catalina.

While the 3 finger gesture can be a bit finicky at times, it's miles better than the old kext we had. Having the interactive gesture is fantastic. Can't wait to see if you're able to help fine-tune it.

Are there any major updates needed to help transition to Catalina? I'm still on Mojave on both of my hacks since I'm using some software that still does not work yet with Catalina.
I have plenty of improvements done locally but im still not completely done to push the changes to github and update the guide.

- USBInjectAll.kext removed
- SSDT-USB removed
- EHC1 to EH01 rename removed
- ESEL to ESEZ rename removed
- USBPorts.kext replaces all of these 4 above
- SAT1 to SATA rename removed (turned out it was purely cosmetical)
- DSM to XDSM rename removed

- removed the -cdfon and -igfxnohdmi boot-args and replaced with the appropriate patches into devices/properties

Modified SSDT-BATC to work under macOS only so it doesn't affect Linux or Windows
Modified SSDT-LED the same way as SSDT-BATC
Modified SSDT-KBD the same way as SSDT-BATC

Patched AppleALC > Realtek ALC3232 with dock support
To start Debugging ALC3232 codec on AppleALC to drop CodecCommander support as Acidanthera team are claiming these features of CodecCommander are present but not working for some reasons, i will start working for this soon.
So expect removal of:
- AlcPlugFix
- SSDT-ALC3232
- CodecCommander.kext

Switch smbios from MacBookAir6,2 to MacBookPro11,1

Remaining changes/fixes/improvements:
- Complete ALC3232 Patch for AppleALC without CC
- Fix External Monitors connected to any of the Dock Video Outputs (DVI/VGA/DisplayPort) causing a Kernel Panic if you attempt to sleep, restart or shutdown the laptop.

Attempt to improve TouchPad experience by tweaking the values a bit better than they currently are.

And... to be honest idk if there is left anything else to be done on *40 series thinkpads anymore.
At the current state of hackintosh, there is no other improvement left to be done except to switch to OpenCore. That is ready too but i won't publish it without publishing the OpenCore guide which im working on as otherwise, people will bombard the thread asking for What is X,Y,Z why is that so, this way, that way etc.

What may come up is IGPU provisioning support and DRM support and a possible Card Reader kext if someone magically decides to work on that.

Sorry for the TLDR post.

I have plenty of improvements done locally but im still not completely done to push the changes to github and update the guide.

- USBInjectAll.kext removed
- SSDT-USB removed
- EHC1 to EH01 rename removed
- ESEL to ESEZ rename removed
- USBPorts.kext replaces all of these 4 above
- SAT1 to SATA rename removed (turned out it was purely cosmetical)
- DSM to XDSM rename removed

- removed the -cdfon and -igfxnohdmi boot-args and replaced with the appropriate patches into devices/properties

Modified SSDT-BATC to work under macOS only so it doesn't affect Linux or Windows
Modified SSDT-LED the same way as SSDT-BATC
Modified SSDT-KBD the same way as SSDT-BATC

Patched AppleALC > Realtek ALC3232 with dock support
To start Debugging ALC3232 codec on AppleALC to drop CodecCommander support as Acidanthera team are claiming these features of CodecCommander are present but not working for some reasons, i will start working for this soon.
So expect removal of:
- AlcPlugFix
- SSDT-ALC3232
- CodecCommander.kext

Switch smbios from MacBookAir6,2 to MacBookPro11,1

Remaining changes/fixes/improvements:
- Complete ALC3232 Patch for AppleALC without CC
- Fix External Monitors connected to any of the Dock Video Outputs (DVI/VGA/DisplayPort) causing a Kernel Panic if you attempt to sleep, restart or shutdown the laptop.

Attempt to improve TouchPad experience by tweaking the values a bit better than they currently are.

And... to be honest idk if there is left anything else to be done on *40 series thinkpads anymore.
At the current state of hackintosh, there is no other improvement left to be done except to switch to OpenCore. That is ready too but i won't publish it without publishing the OpenCore guide which im working on as otherwise, people will bombard the thread asking for What is X,Y,Z why is that so, this way, that way etc.

What may come up is IGPU provisioning support and DRM support and a possible Card Reader kext if someone magically decides to work on that.

Sorry for the TLDR post.
This is awesome news. Thanks for continuing to make our hackintosh experience better for the 40-series laptops.

Regarding CodecCommander: I had read also that AppleALC should be doing this automatically, but we actually need CC for ALCPlugFix to work correctly. I'm curious if you're able to remove that dependency in your updates.

DRM support: I never knew this was an issue with hackintosh until I recently tried to watch Netflix on my desktop machine. I realized that I never had "proper" DRM support. According to vit9696 they are still learning how it all works with various GPUs and encoder/decoders so maybe in the future we will see it supported. For now, I think the HD4400 (our IGPU) does not support any type of DRM unfortunately.

I would love it if someone picked up a card reader kext - that's probably the only real missing feature that would be nice to have.

This is awesome news. Thanks for continuing to make our hackintosh experience better for the 40-series laptops.

Regarding CodecCommander: I had read also that AppleALC should be doing this automatically, but we actually need CC for ALCPlugFix to work correctly. I'm curious if you're able to remove that dependency in your updates.

DRM support: I never knew this was an issue with hackintosh until I recently tried to watch Netflix on my desktop machine. I realized that I never had "proper" DRM support. According to vit9696 they are still learning how it all works with various GPUs and encoder/decoders so maybe in the future we will see it supported. For now, I think the HD4400 (our IGPU) does not support any type of DRM unfortunately.

I would love it if someone picked up a card reader kext - that's probably the only real missing feature that would be nice to have.
Audio - Note: I kindly ask people without technical information/knowledge to ignore this task.
@CoBrA2168 Here is the the link to the discussion im doing with Roddy20 and vit9696:
If you want to contribute there feel free to do so, i will install macOS on my X240 tonight and test some of the changes.
Also will start testing with VerbStub as instructed by Roddy20 and vit9696

DRM: yes but as you have seen on their bugtracker, it may be possible to have it on Haswell generations as they are more flexible, however i would be happy enough by just having the the Linux GuC ported so they fix the performance issues.

DRM is not that much important for me and for now.

It's very unfortunate that Sinetek didn't update the source on github to correspond with his working kext on InsanelyMac thread, if we had that source code we would've forgotten about Card Reader problems long time ago...

Last edited:
Audio - Note: I kindly ask people without technical information/knowledge to ignore this task.
@CoBrA2168 Here is the the link to the discussion im doing with Roddy20 and vit9696:
If you want to contribute there feel free to do so, i will install macOS on my X240 tonight and test some of the changes.
Also will start testing with VerbStub as instructed by Roddy20 and vit9696

DRM: yes but as you have seen on their bugtracker, it may be possible to have it on Haswell generations as they are more flexible, however i would be happy enough by just having the the Linux GuC ported so they fix the performance issues.

DRM is not that much important for me and for now.

It's very unfortunate that Sinetek didn't update the source on github to correspond with his working kext on InsanelyMac thread, if we had that source code we would've forgotten about Card Reader problems long time ago...
If I get some free time over the next few weeks, I might take a stab at the audio issues. It's less of a priority now since we do have a pretty good working solution. Although, every once in a while, the headphone jack stops working for me, and a sleep cycle is required to get it back. If moving everything to AppleALC would fix that, it would be nice.

Hello :) Sometimes when the laptop is sleeping, after wake, there is no sound at all, and the only way to make it work again is to restart the machine. Has anyone encountered this? Otherwise everything is working perfectly :) Great guide and work.

Hi, thanks for the guide. I just did it today and everything seems to be working just fine after a few hours with the hack.

But I noticed something a bit strange, the About dialog shows 16 GB RAM, system info says there are 2 modules of 8 GB. But my T440s has 4 GB soldered and 8 GB in a replacable slot, so 12 GB in total.

I wonder if this might cause some issues, like kernel panics when memory pressure will be hight because of trying to address RAM that does not actually exist, etc.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-01-24 at 16.46.46.png
    Screenshot 2020-01-24 at 16.46.46.png
    127.4 KB · Views: 44
Hi, thanks for the guide. I just did it today and everything seems to be working just fine after a few hours with the hack.

But I noticed something a bit strange, the About dialog shows 16 GB RAM, system info says there are 2 modules of 8 GB. But my T440s has 4 GB soldered and 8 GB in a replacable slot, so 12 GB in total.

I wonder if this might cause some issues, like kernel panics when memory pressure will be hight because of trying to address RAM that does not actually exist, etc.
you can manually set your memory in your config.plist under smbios settings:
example:

@Sniki I recently updated a few things (Lilu kexts, Clover, etc.) and noticed that my brightness slider doesn't work as it used to...the display overall seems a bit brighter at its lower setting. Have you noticed this at all with your 40-series laptop? Not sure what caused it...maybe a WhateverGreen update?

EDIT: Turns out it was a Clover update that broke it. I was on 5058 and I went to the latest on the GitHub releases (5103). Reverted down to 5070 and it's fixed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back