Contribute
Register

[Guide] Install High Sierra or Mojave on the Dell Optiplex 7010 / 9010 Desktop PC - Revision II

Status
Not open for further replies.
It does not plug directly into the motherboard. It can be removed and another placed in there.
Good, buy the AR9280 and install it and you'll have working wifi. Don't forget to install the Atheros40 kext.

I want to get the GT 710 2GB for my build and just wondering does it have to be the same brand or any brand would work? and does the DDR5 version can be used here as well or best to stick with the DDR3 variant?
Oh and if any special configuration is needed or is it PNP natively on Mojave?
Thanks.

On my Dell USFF with 3570K using HD4000 graphics Im having problems with waking from sleep only if using 2 monitors.
  1. With an ssdt - the machine wakes with dead screens which I can wake up by turning the screens off and then turning them on one by one.
  2. With XCPM settings and no ssdt - it takes about 25 seconds for the screens to wake (compared to 5 when there is just one monitor)
  3. With neither ssdt or xcpm set it wakes similarly to using an ssdt (but no turbo on cpu).
Any advice on troubleshooting this?

does the DDR5 version can be used here as well or best to stick with the DDR3 variant?
Use the DDR3 version. If you want Mojave the DDR5 versions need the Nvidia Web drivers. Of course, there are no web drivers for Mojave so you can't use a DDR5 GT 710 yet. Not known if drivers will ever be released for Mojave or newer versions like 10.15.

Here's a card that I can verify working with Mojave.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AZ7W88O/?tag=tonymacx86com-20
HDMI audio works too. Haven't tried connecting to a 4K monitor yet. Some have said it works but only at a 30Hz refresh rate not 60Hz.

Last edited:
Any advice on troubleshooting this?
I've not tested dual monitor setups at all. What I think it would take is the use of hackintool (see guide by headkaze) along with WEG. You could start by reading that guide to get some ideas how to troubleshoot this.

TP-Link Archer T6E AC1300 PCIe Wireless
If you need just Wifi (no BT) for your Dell CustoMac mini and you have the SFF, DT, or MT model this is one of the best and simplest solutions. Works OOB and no need to install any drivers, kexts or software. Should work in any of your PCIe slots. You can find it on Amazon and many other online retail sites. Note that in the SFF model you can only use a single slot Graphics card and this adapter at the same time. Will not work with a dual slot card like the MSI RX 560 LP card.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016K0896K/?tag=tonymacx86com-20
387085 387087

Last edited:
I had one loud-ish fan which was on the cpu cooler and managed to buy one for £7 on ebay, most times the fan and metal mounting are sold together. The fan speed controller works on these based on temps and you can check out the speed using the additional smc kexts and HWMonitor.

Is your new fan really silent ? I mean comparable to when unplugged ? Because I doubt that buying a new one would do anything, sadly, as they are not even going too fast (1700rpm)

Is there any way to control better the CPU fan by asking it to be more tolerant about the warmness of the CPU ? I think it would be nearly as silent as if it was unplugged if it was going at 1000rpm.
The main problem is that dell uses 5 pin fan headers so even if you get a Noctua 4 pin you won't get PWM function. The CPU fan seems to do a good enough job so I don't really even care about that front fan working. You might have to press F1 at boot up to avoid the warning that the fan is disconnected. Haven't seen how to disable that in BIOS.

In the USFF the Copper heatsink (+3 copper pipes) on top of the CPU is nearly good enough (with good thermal paste) that you don't really even need the CPU fan plugged in. Then it's completely silent. You should only do this though for general use like reading email or internet surfing which is not CPU intensive.

View attachment 386369

I tried it, but i feel that it goes a bit too hot... No way to control its speed ?

Even a ON/OFF way to do it without geting to unmount and unplug the dell would be appreciated, as I can switch between heavy CPU usage with fan ON and chilling on the internet without the fan to get less noise distraction !

Last edited:
Use the DDR3 version. If you want Mojave the DDR5 versions need the Nvidia Web drivers. Of course, there are no web drivers for Mojave so you can't use a DDR5 GT 710 yet. Not known if drivers will ever be released for Mojave or newer versions like 10.15.

Here's a card that I can verify working with Mojave.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AZ7W88O/?tag=tonymacx86com-20
HDMI audio works too. Haven't tried connecting to a 4K monitor yet. Some have said it works but only at a 30Hz refresh rate not 60Hz.
Hi, I will stick to the DDR3 model. Thanks for the tips.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back