Contribute
Register

[Guide] Install High Sierra or Mojave on the Dell Optiplex 7010 / 9010 Desktop PC - Revision II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any way to get it to work? The system shows a WiFi adapter in the SYS INFO pages - but there is no option in NETWORK to enable WiFi.
Not every Broadcom Card is macOS compatible. Youll need to find the exact model and then research whether it is or not.

Not every Broadcom Card is macOS compatible. Youll need to find the exact model and then research whether it is or not.

Product Identifiers
  • BRAND
    Dell DW1540 Wi-Fi
  • MPN
    1MKM4
  • eBay Product ID (ePID)
Product Key Features
  • Non-Domestic Product
    No
  • Model
    BCM943228HM4L
  • Type
    Wireless
  • Modified Item
    No
  • Compatible Port/Slot
    PCI

@Grizz I've never seen anyone use that card. Do some research online to find if it would be macOS compatible.

It's always going to be the fastest most reliable connection using wired Ethernet. If you can't use that there are only a few of the Dell mini PCIe cards that work. If they are Atheros based you'll need to install one kext for it to work in Mojave.

The main difference between macOS and Windows is that most all hardware is compatible with Windows and a very limited amount of hardware (like wireless cards) is macOS compatible. You have to research before buying.

Last edited:
@Grizz I've never seen anyone use that card. Do some research online to find if it would be macOS compatible.

It's always going to be the fastest most reliable connection using wired Ethernet. If you can't use that there are only a few of the Dell mini PCIe cards that work. If they are Atheros based you'll need to install one kext for it to work in Mojave.

The main difference between macOS and Windows is that most all hardware is compatible with Windows and a very limited amount of hardware (like wireless cards) is macOS compatible. You have to research before buying.

Agreed --- I do have an old WiFi (miniPCI) card I took out of a Mac Mini 2009 model. Maybe I try that in this card. On the card it says AR5BXB6

All the updates seemed to install without any problems. Gonna look at those CLONING proggies, and a BluRay playing software.

Last edited:
If there is nothing in Default Boot Volume it will never boot automatically. Type in the exact name of your default hard drive that you are booting from then it should work.

Here is what I see in the DROP DOWN for the C-C Boot Options, and Disk Utility (showing the name of my volume) - or do I need another name.

Grizz

Attachments

• C_C-Boot-2.jpg
    C_C-Boot-2.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 53
  • C_C-DiskUtil.jpg
    C_C-DiskUtil.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 46
Agreed --- I do have an old WiFi (miniPCI) card I took out of a Mac Mini 2009 model. Maybe I try that in this card. On the card it says AR5BXB6
The problem with that is that the card is too old and slow (54g speeds) for Mojave and it won't fit in the Dell 1/2 mini PCIe slot. You could install the Dell DW1515 (AR9280) and then install the Atheros kext you need for it to work in Mojave. @nicksoph has done this in his Dell USFF and posted about this. It's not super fast and doesn't have BT but you've already got a dongle to use for that. Will also require an external antenna to work well.
Compliant with PCI-Express Mini Card 1.1 standard
Line rate WLAN to LAN performance
Interoperability with 802.11a, 802.11b, 802.11g and 802.11n draft compliant products
Driver support for Windows XP, Vista, Mac and Linux operating systems
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JESLUWQ/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

Last edited:
The problem with that is that the card is too old and slow (54g speeds) for Mojave and it won't fit in the Dell 1/2 mini PCIe slot. You could install the Dell DW1515 (AR9280) and then install the Atheros kext you need for it to work in Mojave. @nicksoph has done this in his Dell USFF and posted about this. It's not super fast and doesn't have BT but you've already got a dongle to use for that. Will also require an external antenna to work well.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JESLUWQ/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

This is what I bought.
Dell DW1530 KVCX1 8VP82 Wireles Low Profile PCI-e Card w/ RU297 WX492 Antena

So you can see it has a MiniPCI card plugged into the PCI card with the antenna wires attached to it.

I think if I can find one of these MiniPCI cards - I can just replace the card and get this working.

What do you think?

Grizz

I think if I can find one of these MiniPCI cards - I can just replace the card and get this working.
What do you think?
Do you have the USFF or SFF Dell Optiplex ? I thought you have the USFF, is that not correct ?
Here are the Dell Cards that are not supported in macOS:

Do you have the USFF or SFF Dell Optiplex ? I thought you have the USFF, is that not correct ?
Here are the Dell Cards that are not supported in macOS:
View attachment 386994

I have the DESKTOP model....one step below the MINI TOWER.

I know that the list shows UNSUPPORTED. The PCI card that I have - has the MiniPCI (looks like a laptop wireless card) plugged into it. It does not plug directly into the motherboard. It can be removed and another placed in there.

Grizz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back