Contribute
Register

[Guide] Install High Sierra or Mojave on the Dell Optiplex 7010 / 9010 Desktop PC - Revision II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let us know how it works for you in Mojave.
Hi trs96, I just got the machine today and installed Mojave. I think it is one of the easiest hackintosh I ever used, took me around an hour to get everything up and running :lol:
everything works without additional setup other then the ones in the guide.

GPU used is a Gigabyte GT 710 2GB DDR5 Variant (GV-N710D5-2GL)

Thanks.

I think it is one of the easiest hackintosh I ever used, took me around an hour to get everything up and running
That was my goal for this guide. To have the most compatible hardware and instructions that anyone can easily apply and succeed with in under 2 hours, even complete beginners. If you've already got experience creating a hackintosh, it's "super easy." On last thing to do, put your CPU, Graphics and the version of your Optiplex here: https://www.tonymacx86.com/account/account-details an example would be: Dell Optiplex 9010 SFF (in mobo section) along with your CPU and graphics card.

Last edited:
That was my goal for this guide. To have the most compatible hardware and instructions that anyone can easily apply and succeed with in under 2 hours, even complete beginners. If you've already got experience creating a hackintosh, it's "super easy." On last thing to do, put your CPU, Graphics and the version of your Optiplex here: https://www.tonymacx86.com/account/account-details an example would be: Dell Optiplex 9010 SFF (in mobo section) along with your CPU and graphics card.
Really appreciate your guide, I added the info as mentioned.
Thanks.

:confused::crazy::banghead::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

I do not know what happened. I was working on the Hackintosh this weekend - trying to get the CLOVER CONFIGURATOR to boot to the system with no pause waiting for input.

Nothing I did would work. Choosing the "LAST USED BOOT" or adding the HighSierra_HDD and setting to 1, 0 and -1. Nothing appeared to work. It would either NOT BOOT, or would sit forever and until I chose a boot option.

I then also noticed that there was an update to CLOVER (under the UPDATE option in the CLOVER CONFIGURATOR). I did it, and it installed with no problems...and it booted ONE TIME - and the boot screen was different (gone was the GREEN look). It was kinda grey with similar looking icons (damn I shoulda taken a picture). I chose the HighSierra from HDD installation - it began loading and then just stopped with some strange chars on the screen and a WHITE NO CIRCLE in the background.

I grabbed my handy dandy installation USB drive and tried booting - and it was the GREEN look again but still would not boot to the OS.

Soooooooo....given that I had not really done anything yet with the machine, and I wanted to get more familiar with the installation process. I decided to start over.

I used GPARTED to delete everything fromt the HDD.

I have attempted 12 times now to boot either with the ElCaptian USB or the HighSierra USB. I get one of three results. I am attaching images.

Apple Progress Bar - is the most common issue...It will boot to this screen and sit. I have let it sit until the machine does go to SLEEP. The power light is flashing. Touching keyboard does wake it up - but never goes any further.

Missing Bluetooth Controller - is the second most common error I get. I always use the VERBOSE option, and I get multiple screens of text - and it stops on this line. The machine has no BlueTooth installed. I took out the WiFi PCI card and the USB BlueTooth adapter. It will sit on this screen until I FORCE POWER OFF (hold power button until shut down) the Optiplex 7010.

Waiting for Root Device - this one only happened a few times. It will also sit on this screen until you FORCE OFF the computer.

I ran the Built in DIAGNOSTICS (Extended) from the F12 boot, and it passes with flying colors after about 1.25 hours running.

The HDD has NOTHING AT ALL on it. Double checked it with GPARTED, and made sure there is no partition table at all. (Same way that I started the original build of El Capitan and again High Sierra).

I am at a loss as to why the same USB drives I used to install EC and HS before - are now not even getting to the BEGIN install screens (no DISK UTIL - Nothing).

I also completely reset the BIOS (removed battery, held power button 2 minutes unplugged from AC). Then setup like the guide. I get nothing. I am really confused at this point. As the WINDOWS 7 USB installer I have will boot to the point where I can install Windows - so I am not thinking the system is bad.

Grizz

Attachments

• Apple Progress Bar.jpg
    Apple Progress Bar.jpg
    381.1 KB · Views: 67
  • Missing Bluetooth Controller.jpg
    Missing Bluetooth Controller.jpg
    548.1 KB · Views: 51
  • Waiting for Root Device.jpg
    Waiting for Root Device.jpg
    443 KB · Views: 54
I am at a loss as to why the same USB drives I used to install EC and HS before - are now not even getting to the BEGIN install screens (no DISK UTIL - Nothing).
Waiting for Root device means your USB isn't even being seen. Try each one of the 10 USB ports with the HS installer to see if one will work.

@Grizz what do you think ? Should I make the bootable clone part of the guide a mandatory step in the guide. If you had one right now you would have avoided all of this. Simply reconnect that to SATA and it boots with no problems. Since 120GB SSDs sell for around 20 USD right now, everyone can easily make a clone of the system drive.

Last edited:
Waiting for Root device means your USB isn't even being seen. Try each one of the 10 USB ports with the HS installer to see if one will work.

trs96,

I just find it strange that all three of the USBs that I have (all of them have been used for installation at some point) do the same thing. They boot up fine, and then I get one of those 3 screens. Two of them have lights that indicate activity when they are accessed - and you can see them flashing while the progress bar is moving...then the just stop.

I have tried both of the USB 2.0 on the front and the 2 on the back. Your guide states not to use the USB 3.0 until loaded.
The 2 ports under the NIC are where the KB and MOU are plugged in - and have always been plugged in there.

GOOD IDEA or BAD IDEA to have eth cable plugged in during install?

I will give it another whirl when I get home (after work). I just do not know why the UPGRADE of the CLOVER would do that? Any Ideas?

Grizz

@Grizz what do you think ? Should I make the bootable clone part of the guide a mandatory step in the guide. If you had one right now you would have avoided all of this. Simply reconnect that to SATA and it boots with no problems. Since 120GB SSDs sell for around 20 USD right now, everyone can easily make a clone of the system drive.

Might be a good idea...I have an old 60GB SSD (I think) - slower than Christmas, but I could probably use that. It was a freebie at a class I went to - had documents and stuff on it, that is now obsolete. I think I have an old SATA EXT HDD case I can put it in.

Grizz

I just do not know why the UPGRADE of the CLOVER would do that? Any Ideas?
If Clover is working on an install I generally just leave it alone. If you do need to upgrade it for whatever reason simply reapply step #4 of the guide. I'm certain that you didn't get the Rehabman version of Clover you had used previously. Most of the drivers in the Drivers64UEFI folder are different in the version of Clover you installed. I'm not sure if you saw the part in "installation tips" when you first read this guide. So here it is for you and others that read this post:
This guide is complete in and of itself. Don't mix parts of, or techniques from other guides. Even info from ones for this same hardware.

Last edited:
I have an issue with the App Store, keep showing Cannot Connect to App Store, but my iMessage is working.

Any thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back