Contribute
Register

[Guide] HP Elite 8300 & 6300 Pro (all form factors) using Clover UEFI hotpatch

Seems like clover may have been updated a bit since this guide was originally posted - trying to follow this for my HP 8300, but in the step of setting up the USB drive, my Clover doesnt have a "EFI/Clover/Drivers64UEFI" directory, though it does have an "EFI/Clover/Drivers/UEFI/" directory. I also noticed that the clover install config was a bit different, I had to check the box to include the memory driver as that was missing. Anyone had luck using Clover 2.5 r5100?

Seems like clover may have been updated a bit since this guide was originally posted - trying to follow this for my HP 8300, but in the step of setting up the USB drive, my Clover doesnt have a "EFI/Clover/Drivers64UEFI" directory, though it does have an "EFI/Clover/Drivers/UEFI/" directory. I also noticed that the clover install config was a bit different, I had to check the box to include the memory driver as that was missing. Anyone had luck using Clover 2.5 r5100?
I didn't do a clean install of Catalina but rather an in-place upgrade from Mojave using the old guide. I'm on r5100 currently. Here's the missing memory driver and screenshots of my EFI folders. I actually just noticed that HFSPlus is only in the BIOS folder, not UEFI although I haven't had any adverse affects if this is wrong.
Screen Shot 2019-12-16 at 11.11.13 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-12-16 at 11.16.11 PM.png

Attachments

• AptioMemoryFix-64.efi
    35.8 KB · Views: 52
Oddly enough, only people using i7-3770 can't install Catalina.
@Sniki uses an i7-3770 and has been on Catalina for many months now. He will be updating this guide to outline what is required for the latest point update of Catalina in the near future. Can't say exactly when.

Can't say exactly when.
For those who want to use 10.15.2 to fill the gaps.
I created a 10.15.2 USB installer and tested it, but it started without any problems.

The change from the guide is that the source of Clover r5100 is the link shown in the following post,

The attached Config.plist is used so that it can be started up with all CPUs.

Edit :
Removed because it is not necessary except in special cases.

Last edited:
Guide is going under another big revamp.

Im working on it and some of the new upcoming features are:

- First and most importantly the guide update itself with proper instructions, updated kexts, Clover, etc.

- Revamped separate SSDTs that do only work under Darwin (macOS) so that way you can boot Windows, Linux or whatever OS with Clover or OpenCore without being affected by SSDTs on non macOS systems and like you would've installed with their own respective bootloaders.

- Patched ALC221 codec that works with automatic microphone and earphones switching instead of the current manual selection by right-clicking sound icon on menu bar and clicking to switch to input or output source that you have in use.
With this change the behavior will be same as on Windows or Linux, you plugged your headphones whether front or back, audio from speakers stops automatically and runs from headphones (you get the idea).

- Working on AppleALC with Acidanthera team to completely ditch CodecCommander and have all those functionalities into AppleALC itself as All in One audio solution (this means -1 SSDT, -1 kext, -2 config.plist entries: cleaner setup).

- A bit more work into framebuffers itself for iGPU or possibly go with a SSDT for Graphics configuration so it automatically detects it and switches to the correct framebuffer detected and if DGPU, go headless.

etc.

OpenCore guide should be up by Q1 2020, first i have to make the OpenCore guide itself then publish the guide.

Guide is going under another big revamp.
Will implementing all of this require a clean install of Catalina ? All I can say is HP 6300 and 8300 owners are really getting an early Christmas present here in this guide. Excellent work !

Last edited:
Will implementing all of this require a clean install of Catalina ? All I can say is HP 6300 and 8300 owners are really getting an early Christmas present here in this guide. Excellent work !
Good questions @trs96

For that it really depends on what setup each person is using, now kexts are recommended to be placed only on EFi/Clover/kexts/Other so we don't touch system at all.

1. So whoever have their kexts in EFi/Clover/kexts/Other they simply remove them and place the only required and updated ones.

2. if you have kexts into Library/Extensions/ you remove the installed kexts from there and rebuild caches and go back to ( 1. )

3. Replace config.plist, you simply port back your smbios and you place any specific Nvidia or AMD patch that is necessary or that someone is using as i don't have DGPU myself, i only use IGPU.

4. You reboot and IF:

5. i can make it in time, they can enjoy their Christmas / end of year present.

Thanks !

For those who want to use 10.15.2 to fill the gaps.
I created a 10.15.2 USB installer and tested it, but it started without any problems.

The change from the guide is that the source of Clover r5100 is the link shown in the following post,

The attached Config.plist is used so that it can be started up with all CPUs.

Thank you so much for your efforts - but it didn't work for me. What the h... is going on with this machine? Tried it out on a second (identical) - same result. And the battery/date is not the issue. May I ask you for an ultra-short step-by-step on how you created your thumb drive? TIA!!!

Thank you so much for your efforts - but it didn't work for me. What the h... is going on with this machine? Tried it out on a second (identical) - same result. And the battery/date is not the issue. May I ask you for an ultra-short step-by-step on how you created your thumb drive? TIA!!!
Currently @trs96 and @Geezah answer my inquiries.
Please refer to the following thread because it is a common problem.

Last edited:
Back