Contribute
Register

[Guide] HP Elite 8300 & 6300 Pro (all form factors) using Clover UEFI hotpatch

Neither can I make it freeze on screen using clover's option to NOT reboot after kernel panic nor is a video capture possible.

If left unplugged, the internal clock may become abnormal and the installer may not work.
It became a similar state in El Capitan.
If the BIOS can boot, check the date.

If the BIOS can boot, check the date.
Once your HP starts losing time and date it generally means the CMOS battery is too weak and should be replaced with a fresh new CR2032 battery. It will often happen if you unplug from the wall socket for a few days and then try to boot up and find all your specific BIOS changes have been lost and you can't boot. It may have lost the settings required for macOS to boot properly. I make note of this in all my Dell and HP guides. It's a preliminary step I have everyone do before the install of macOS.

Last edited:
Once your HP starts losing time and date it generally means the CMOS battery is too weak and should be replaced with a fresh new CR2032 battery.
Indeed, in my case, the CMOS battery may be the cause.
I will exchange it later.

If the battery is dead (replaced), a warning will appear at startup, but if it is weak, there is no warning and the OS can be used normally
Installation is now possible just by typing "date" in the terminal.

Thx guys for these information. But we might have taken a wrong turn. The BIOS is fine. Are you driving at the Mojave issue with the installer date? Terminal date_030300002019-fix? This was necessary for my own built. But was never necessary for the HP build. The trouble is: if I can type this in terminal, I have already reached the installer - but that is not the case :cry:

The trouble is: if I can type this in terminal, I have already reached the installer - but that is not the case :cry:
Is it possible to boot with Mojave?

Append:
If the installer can be started, replace the CMOS battery with a new one, set "date" with Mojave again, and install it on another disk.

Last edited:
Is it possible to boot with Mojave?

Append:
If the installer can be started, replace the CMOS battery with a new one, set "date" with Mojave again, and install it on another disk.
Thank you for your reply. But Mojave is fine.

Thank you for your reply. But Mojave is fine.
Start up with Mojave and enter "date" in the terminal, then try to start USB installer with hold power on.

Start up with Mojave and enter "date" in the terminal, then try to start USB installer with hold power on.
This is exactly what I did (I believe - because I don't know what you mean by "with hold power on".
I used Mojave and repeated the "date 030300002019" command to set the date to the 3rd of March. No success afterwards with Catalina usb thumdrive. Or what do you mean by "date" in terminal? Because using only "date" as a command simply returns the currently set date and doesn't do any changes.

Don't expect me to speak English properly.

I don't know what you mean by "with hold power on".
It means that "Power Cord Connector" by HP Document is connected.

You and I are checking if the installer does not start if the HP8300 CMOS date is older than the creation date of the installer. This happens due to the CMOS battery, but it can be solved by replacing the CMOS battery and setting the current date in the BIOS. However, if your problem is not with a CMOS battery, you will be wasting money.
Therefore, we are looking for a way to check if the CMOS battery is the cause without replacing it.

Check if the installer can be started with the following procedure.

1. Start with Mojeve
2. Enter "date" in the terminal and check that the current date is displayed.
If the date is not the current date, set the current date.
3.Plug in the USB installer and restart
4. Start from the USB installer.

If the installer does not work properly, the date setting is not the cause.

Back