Contribute
Register

[Guide] HP Elite 8300 & 6300 Pro (all form factors) using Clover UEFI hotpatch

Im preparing to upgrade or rebuild an 8300 DT to Catalina and wondering is there is any advantage in going with OpenCore?
The best answer I can come up with is "it depends on the user." The advantages of Clover are that you already know it. It's well established and is more than 5 years out of beta. Sometimes Clover just works better on some pre-built Dells and HPs than OC currently does. It requires much less detailed work on the config.plist to get you booting from the USB installer successfully. If you will be staying with Catalina and not moving on to Big Sur then Clover is a good choice.

Now for the advantages of OC. They are too many to list here but you can certainly read the documentation to learn what it offers as opposed to Clover. See the attached PDF reference manual for the official Acidanthera documentation. I recall starting my first hack using Chameleon back in 2012. Then Clover appeared in 2015 and it was the future of hackintoshing then, required from El Capitan onward. It took some time to learn it and get comfortable with it. Will be a similar process with OpenCore.

In summary, it looks like OC is the future of hackintoshing and Acidanthera is focusing all their efforts on that instead of Clover. We'll all be using it eventually but for right now Clover is still a viable choice for use with Catalina. 8 year old machines like the HP 8300 can and do work perfectly well with OC but it's not required for you to use it to run Catalina smoothly. The level of complexity of the terminology goes up a notch with OC. So for beginners just starting out with an HP 8300 Clover is the best choice right now. Without some previous hackintosh experience, trying to use OpenCore for the first time will be a very steep learning curve.

Here's a few examples of OC Quirks. To understand any of these you'd first need to learn the various acronyms. I tried to make a list of the most important ones here: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/learning-the-hackintosh-four-letter-words.273877/

Quirks: (Boolean)
  • AppleCpuPmCfgLock: Only needed when CFG-Lock can’t be disabled in BIOS. Avoid unless necessary.
  • AppleXcpmCfgLock: Only needed when CFG-Lock can’t be disabled in BIOS. Avoid unless necessary.
  • AppleXcpmExtraMsrs: Disables multiple MSR access needed for unsupported CPUs.
  • CustomSMBIOSGuid: Performs GUID patching for UpdateSMBIOSMode Custom mode. Usually relevant for Dell laptops.
  • DisableIOMapper: Preferred to dropping DMAR in ACPI section or disabling VT-D in bios.
  • ExternalDiskIcons: External Icons Patch, for when internal drives are treated as external drives
  • LapicKernelPanic: Disables kernel panic on AP core lapic interrupt. Often needed on HP laptops.

Attachments

• OC.Configuration.pdf.zip
    565.4 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
The best answer I can come up with is "it depends on the user."
I was thinking along similar lines, dont really want to learn OC with Big Sur probably the last version these machines will work with but thinking about trying it - will probably wait for a full OC build description for either this or the 7020.

I was thinking along similar lines, dont really want to learn OC with Big Sur probably the last version these machines will work with but thinking about trying it - will probably wait for a full OC build description for either this or the 7020.
I still have a legacy Z68 Sandy Bridge system that works perfectly well with Chameleon to this day. I could have flashed a UEFI beta bios from Gigabyte and used Clover with it but it works/boots so flawlessly with Chameleon I never did.

Huunh!! Can't see my recent posts. were they deleted?

Huunh!! Can't see my recent posts. were they deleted?

Looks like we've just had a change of policy about Big Sur, posted 19 minutes ago,
based on the public beta now being available. Maybe there were deletions based on
the old policy.

"This site will allow discussion of this software and its installation for those who have enrolled. Therefore we’ve added new subforums for the beta where users can post for support: Big Sur Desktop Support, Big Sur Desktop Guides, Big Sur Laptop Support and Big Sur Laptop Guides."

Is it necessary to move on from SMBIOS iMac13,2 to install Big Sur?

Is it necessary to move on from SMBIOS iMac13,2 to install Big Sur?

Looks like we've just had a change of policy about Big Sur, posted 19 minutes ago,
based on the public beta now being available. Maybe there were deletions based on
the old policy.

"This site will allow discussion of this software and its installation for those who have enrolled. Therefore we’ve added new subforums for the beta where users can post for support: Big Sur Desktop Support, Big Sur Desktop Guides, Big Sur Laptop Support and Big Sur Laptop Guides."
Here are the tonymacx86 Forum Rules on Apple macOS Betas. If you had read the rules you would have known the difference between the developer betas and public betas.
  • Discussion of pre-release software (such as macOS Public Beta software builds) from the free Apple Beta Software Program is encouraged
  • Software released thru the Apple Developer Program is restricted to paid developer members only and restricted by NDA. As such, this site does NOT support installation of any software released under this program nor discussion of it or any non-public information developers have access to.

Thanks for the info.

Back