Contribute
Register

[Guide] HP Elite 8300 & 6300 Pro (all form factors) using Clover UEFI hotpatch

@Maxlpulpo @LisaAlterEgo so I have some good news and bad news:

First: changing to iMac13,2 did resolve the hang at boot and allows SSDT.aml to load. I went ahead and added `-w 2` for good measure for this i7-3770 processor since it seems others have added that in the past.

Unfortunately the Bluetooth has stopped working and so the keyboard and mouse (both Apple Magic devices) no longer function. Not sure what has happened and the System Preferences - when it opens - is grey and not in dark mode as it should be. Something definitely seems to be off here and it takes a long time for System Preferences to open now unlike before.

Any thoughts?

UPDATE: I decided to try the USBInjectAll kext from rehabman and interestingly Bluetooth fired back up on reboot so for some reason that is necessary with this particular configuration.... HOWEVER oddly System Preferences is still light while all other aspects of the system are in dark mode. I'm also feeling as though the computer is slightly SLOWER now as well - responsiveness just doesn't seem to be what it was.

Last edited:
Fusion Drives are not a good choice for a hackintosh. They offer no real advantages anyway. Use a 2.5" SSD instead. You can put it in the Optical drive bay if you'd like to. If you are installing Catalina it forces APFS on mechanical drives too. It's a bad idea to do that. Performance is much worse.
Ok, thank you! I tought fusion drive (SSD+HDD) with hackintosh is like on the MBP13late'11, much fast as a HDD, but not so expensive. I need much space for my music and pictures db (2TB+).

You can use the miniPCIe slot for the half mini Wifi/BT card. You just need to find one that is compatible and also has BT.
Maybe I did not formulate my question precisely enough. Sorry, I am not english native.
I want to use this adapter and this card. The space between inner 2.5" cage and the mainboard/miniPCIe slot is very low and I have afraid that there are not enought space in height, with the adapter and the card.

IMG_3723.JPG

IMG_3724.JPG

There are also OEM HP antenna kits on Ebay that you can use.
Can you give me a link?

Last edited:
The space between inner 2.5" cage and the mainboard/miniPCIe slot is very low and I have afraid that there are not enought space in height, with the adapter and the card.
Not sure if that adapter would fit. Would make more sense to go with a half mini card that is supported.
  • Half mini: BCM94360HMB/AzureWave AW-CB160H - native WiFi/ac and BT4LE (3 antennas)
  • Half mini: BCM94352 HMB/AzureWave AW-CE123H - supports WiFi/ac and BT4LE
Then use the HP antenna kit and everything is neat and tidy.

As for the antenna kit link I saw it in one of the HP 8300 threads but can't remember which one. Do a search of those threads.

@trs96 Thank you for reply and help! I bought a half size miniPCIe BCM94360HMB. Now I have to search for an other source for the antennas, because I am not willing to pay 47USD only for shipping to Central Europe.

Now I have to search for an other source for the antennas
Don't forget the screws to hold the Wifi card and mSata SSD in place. The HP kit is important because it's nearly impossible to find screws that fit. They are proprietary.

hi
what is the best graphics card for a 6300 sff?

@Maxlpulpo @LisaAlterEgo so I have some good news and bad news:

First: changing to iMac13,2 did resolve the hang at boot and allows SSDT.aml to load. I went ahead and added `-w 2` for good measure for this i7-3770 processor since it seems others have added that in the past.

Unfortunately the Bluetooth has stopped working and so the keyboard and mouse (both Apple Magic devices) no longer function. Not sure what has happened and the System Preferences - when it opens - is grey and not in dark mode as it should be. Something definitely seems to be off here and it takes a long time for System Preferences to open now unlike before.

Any thoughts?

UPDATE: I decided to try the USBInjectAll kext from rehabman and interestingly Bluetooth fired back up on reboot so for some reason that is necessary with this particular configuration.... HOWEVER oddly System Preferences is still light while all other aspects of the system are in dark mode. I'm also feeling as though the computer is slightly SLOWER now as well - responsiveness just doesn't seem to be what it was.

Hey man,

try this SSDT from TRS96's sierra/HighSierra post i have been using his SSDT from the start and had no issues my SMbios is iMac 13.2 Late 2012
my Machine is HP8300 Compaq Elite MT
3rd Gen Core i7 3770 with 8GB Ram
500GB WD blue ssd
here are some screenshots of my rig

Screen Shot A.png
Screen Shot  B.png

as you can see it works smooth with my desktop never had any issues

heres trs96's link post
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...orking-and-easily-affordable-customac.224812/

scrol down to the end of the first post and download the SSDT in his attachment

hope it works for you my friend

Changing default for front panel microphone

Hi @Sniki and HP-hackintoshers,

Attached is a modified info.plist for AppleALC.kext. If you look in it under

IOKitPersonlities -> HDA Hardware Config Resource -> HDAConfigDefault -> Item 26

you'll see the part that is the ALC221 configuration for LayoutID 11. I modified ConfigData
by adding one hda-verb instruction at the end, 0x01a70724, which seems to be the same
command as

hda-verb 0x1a SET_PIN_WIDGET_CONTROL 0x24.

I also added 0x01a70724 at the end of WakeConfigData.

With my machine, this is enough to make the front panel microphone jack enabled at
startup, as well as enabled after sleep/wake. For me it works with AppleALC installed
in Clover / Kexts / Other, without CodecCommander installed and without an SSDT
file for the codec. In System Preferences -> Sound, I have input set to the first Line In,
and I can adjust microphone Input volume with the aid of the Input level meter.

Do you have the latest AppleALC.kext with this modification? I'd like to try it please.

Do you have the latest AppleALC.kext with this modification? I'd like to try it please.

@jhend1,

if your front panel microphone isn't working, I think the problem lies
elsewhere in your config.plist or in using old kexts. The change for the
front panel microphone was incorporated in AppleALC 1.4.8, and remains
in the current AppleALC 1.4.9.

Go to Acidanthera's web page on github for AppleALC releases, and download
AppleALC-1.4.9-RELEASE.zip. Archive Manager will decompress it for you.
Right click on AppleALC.kext, and select Show Package Contents. Inside
Contents, navigate to the info.plist, and open it with a plist editor. Xcode
doesn't show the info very well, since it is on the end of a long list. CorpNewt's
ProperTree does a good job of displaying the info.plist here. Inside the info.plist,
navigate to

IOKitPersonlities -> HDA Hardware Config Resource -> HDAConfigDefault -> Item 26

whose codec is labelled

Goldfish64 - ALC221 for HP Compaq Pro 4300/Pro 6300/Elite 8300 (All Form Factors)

In that section, you'll see two keys -- ConfigData and WakeConfigData -- which
configure the codec at startup and when you reawake the computer after putting
it to sleep, respectively. Each section of 8 hexidecimal digits represents an hda-verb
command. The previously missing command was the equivalent of

hda-verb 0x1a SET_PIN_WIDGET_CONTROL 0x24

which appears in both lists as 01A70724. They incorporated this change in 1.4.7 or

Your problem is more likely that you haven't used the latest versions or are not
invoking your layout-id correctly. If you are using Clover, make sure Lilu and AppleALC
are in your EFI/Clover/Kexts/Other directory only, and not in your /Library/Extensions or
/System/Library/Extensions directory. Check that you have your Clover set to Inject Kexts
-> Yes. Some say Inject Kexts -> Detect works also.

You have to tell AppleALC the correct layout-id to reach the correct configuration. Read the
section on Installation and Usage on the AppleALC wiki page. It says:

"Note: It is necessary to set value layout-id in Devices-Properties or boot arguments.
HDEF device locations PciRoot, gfxutil may be used: gfxutil -f HDEF
Do not use renaming HDAS to HDEF, B0D3 to HDAU, etc.
Properties hda-gfx for digital audio of video cards are injected automatically.
Disable Clover's:
FixHDA, AddHDMI and UseIntelHDMI, set Devices → Audio → Inject = NO (Necessarily type string!)

How to control AppleALC
AppleALC accepts different boot arguments to control its behaviour:
alcid=layout — to set value layout-id; ... "

If you look in Sniki's config.plists for Clover, you'll see a minimal description in Devices
that only includes Device Properties. In Clover Configurator, on the other hand, you'll
see an Audio section in Devices. In the Audio Section, Inject should be set to No, which
is the default and the equivalent of not including it in Sniki's config.plist.

In Sniki's Device Properties section, you'll see a subsection labelled PciRoot(0)/Pci(0x1b,0).
The comment there tells you that is the section for Realtec ALC221 Audio. Sniki tells
Clover that the correct layout-id is <0b000000> which is the equivalent of the number 11.
Alternatively, under Boot you can list a few boot Arguments, and add alcid=11 to that list.

If you're using OpenCore, you can also set the layout-id in the Device Properties section,
or add the alcid=11 boot argument. OpenCore's Sanity Checker seems to think the boot
argument is the preferred method. When you add your kexts in OpenCore, be sure that
Lilu is one of the first kexts added, and AppleALC appears later in the list of added kexts,
as in the sample config.plists.

I hope this is helpful to you.

Last edited:
Back