Contribute
Register

[Guide] HP Elite 8300 & 6300 Pro (all form factors) using Clover UEFI hotpatch

Status
Not open for further replies.
I cannot go further. I Stopped at BigSur beta 8 OC0.6.1 SMBIOS 15,2
It seems that iMac15.1 is recommended in this explanation, but Sniki's guide will be written in MacPro6.1.
I think it is advantageous for you to be able to receive advice.
OpenCore uses 0.6.3 and first try it on Catalina.

By the way, I've heard that GT730 doesn't work, but what exactly is the situation?

It seems that iMac15.1 is recommended in this explanation, but Sniki's guide will be written in MacPro6.1.
I think it is advantageous for you to be able to receive advice.
OpenCore uses 0.6.3 and first try it on Catalina.

By the way, I've heard that GT730 doesn't work, but what exactly is the situation?

It depends on which model GT730. The Kepler ones tend to work. I
think the best performing in Geekbench is the MSI:

As Tech PowerUp notes, this uses a GK208B GPU Kepler implementation.

Last edited:
I think this is the story about eGPU.
If @nguyendj says "I'm running a GT730 on my MacBook Pro," I'd say "write a guide."

I also had some problems with updating an HP8300 with i5-3570K
and Nvidia GT 730 GPU. The machine had been configured as an iMac13,2.

As an iMac13,2 with macOS 10.15.7, the native AGPM dGPU power management
seemed to be set up for Nvidia. When I switched to iMac15,1, as recommended
by Dortania, the native AGPM seemed set up for an AMD dGPU. Although I used
the AGPMInjector app to prepare a new AGPMInjector.kext based on iMac15,1
with GT730, the Heuristic seemed to remain the proper (-1) one for AMD, and
did not switch to the proper (4) Heuristic for my Nvidia card.

I also tried MacBookPro10,1 as recommended by Toleda for Nvidia. The Apple
version came with a 3rd generation Ivy Bridge i7 processor, so it looked hopeful.
The native AGPM seemed set up for Nvidia, and I got the correct AGPM heuristic even
with my AGPMInjector.kext disabled. I thought I was all set up for Big Sur, but then
noticed that the Dortania guide says that the MacBookPro10,* generation is not
Big Sur eligible. Sure enough, the Big Sur update did not show up in Software
Updates.

However, I did note that the behavior of Apple's DRM was the same for the iMac13,2
SMBIOS and the MBP10,1 SMBIOS. To play DRM-protected content on AppleTV,
I needed to disable my IGPU in BIOS, and set shikigva=256. Although VideoProc
reports no HEVC and no H264, and Hackintool reports a VDADecoder failure,
AppleTV and Quicktime play fine. There is a small slow-down in Siri response
and putting up some windows (in Xcode and IORegistryExplorer) without IGPU
however. When I re-enable the IGPU in headless mode, the window and Siri
response improves, but AppleTV fails quickly.

I then tried updating to a MacBookPro11 SMBIOS. Apple's used a 4th generation
CPU. Mine would start to boot, but when the Apple Progress Bar switches midway,
the screen would go black and not come back. I tried with and without IGPU, but
it kept failing. I could have tried agdpmod or nvidia boot arguments, but I moved
on to MacPro6,1 instead.

With a MacPro6,1, I noticed the produced AGPMInjector.kext set the Device Property
for Heuristic to an AMD value (-1), whereas I was expecting the Nvidia value (4) after
choosing the Nvidia GT730. I manually changed that by manually editing the Info.plist in
AGPMInjector.kext, and it has been working fine since.

I also noticed that my USBPorts.kext file did not work as expected, and I had trouble
generating a new one. I have to admit I don't follow the Hackintool instructions
precisely. I eventually found that my Info.plist description for MacPro6,1-EHC2 entry
was causing my attempts to boot to hang before putting up the Apple progress bar.
I modified the MacPro6,1-EHC2 entry by adding a couple of ports there, and removed
two ports from the MacPro6,1-InternalHub-EHC2 entry, and now all the ports attach
as expected. The USB power levels can be changed to expected by using an SSDT-USBX
or by adding power entries in the USBPorts.kext's Info.plist.

When I finally had everything sorted out with MacPro6,1 with macOS 10.15.7, I noticed
the behavior of Apple DRM was the same as described above -- disabling IGPU and setting
shikigva=256 makes AppleTV and Quicktime work for me.

I then updated the MacPro6,1 to Big Sur. Pretty much everything worked as expected,
except for Apple DRM and my Edimax EW-7822ULC AC1200 wireless adapter. Edimax has
not released a driver for Big Sur, and it no longer wakes up the network connection.

Hackintool still reports a failure of the VDADecoder, VideoProc still reports no H264 and no HEVC,
Safari and Firefox won't play protected content. Apple Music TV works on AppleTV. However, Google
Chrome and Microsoft Edge seem to play protected content just fine, including AppleTV at tv.apple.com.
Last night I watched the last episode of Long Way Up and the movie Greyhound again.

I've tried Big Sur MacPro6,1 with and without IGPU enabled, with IGPU primary or Nvidia primary
in BIOS, and with and without shikigva=256. They all seem the same. Does anyone have working
DRM settings for AppleTV?

I've tried Big Sur MacPro6,1 with and without IGPU enabled, with IGPU primary or Nvidia primary
in BIOS, and with and without shikigva=256. They all seem the same. Does anyone have working
DRM settings for AppleTV?
It seems that the situation has changed significantly with the update on November 12th.

I did a clean install of Big Sur with USB Stick with OpenCore0.6.3 EFI for SSD booting with "HP8300CMT i7-3770 RX570 SMBIOS = iMacPro1.1".
At the last restart, it remained stopped with the HP logo displayed, but when I turned off the power with the power button and then restarted, it continued normally and the installation was completed.
After making the necessary settings, copy additional applications and personal settings from "HP6300 iMac13.2 Mojave" over the network.
Copy EFI from USBStick to SSD and restart.
I started it as it was when I restarted, but I noticed that if I did not clear NVRAM, the operation would be slow because extra information during installation remained, so I restarted and cleared NVRAM again.

After performing the basic operation test, remove the SSD and move it to "HP8300SFF i5-3470", and use the EFI-USB Stick for SSD boot of "HP8300SFF i5-3470 GT640 Catalina OpenCore0.6.3 SMBIOS = MacPro 6.1" to install the Big Sur SSD. Start-up.
After doing some basic operational testing to see if it works, I put the SSD back into the HP8300CMT.

Next, we conducted a video output display test on the RX570.
I only have a 1980x1080 monitor, so I'm testing with Full HD "Passengers (2016)".

To my surprise, a beautiful image that was different from what I expected was displayed.

At this point, I was using mattystonnie's guide, but when I replaced it with an EFI of only AGPMInjector.kext with the guide setting removed, there was no change in the image.

I apologize to you for my ignorance if you were talking about this video.

Next, I did a video test with the HP8300SFF, and although there was a difference in the performance of the dGPU, a sufficiently beautiful video was displayed, contrary to my expectations.
I was suspicious, and then I did a video test with "HP6300SFF Mojave", but a beautiful video was displayed.

I don't know what's going on, but I'm currently updating the "HP8100 CMT RX460 High Sierra".
It seems that it will be a while before the display test of "Apple TV +" is done.

Is there a way to run Big Sur with and intel dedicated graphic card (HD 4000) ?

HP 8300 elite i7-3770.

Reactions: GTG
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back