Contribute
Register

GUIDE: GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 UEFI BIOS - ALL WORKING, DSDT not required!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for your fast reply! That's great! The only trouble is that I am using DVI to connect to my monitor, not HDMI. And like I said, it is not the onboard video, it is a GeForce 240 graphics card on the main PCIe 16x slot. Thanks though.

Hey guys,

For those of you who are using VirtualBox, it was seriously messing with my ethernet card. Lan would go down when VM was booting, had to run ifconfig en0 down/up every now and then to sort out. Problem fixed with deleting the Realtek driver and reverting back to Lnx2mac

I have z68ma-d2h-b3 with i5 2400 and i cannot make sleep to work. Also the speedstep is only 2 multipliers 16 and 31. What to do ?????

Thank you for this guide. I found it really exciting and was eager to get to work on my system. I have run into trouble though and am here to inquire. I have read through a large portion of this incredibly long thread but didn't find my answer, though I did find all kinds of interesting information.
I am attempting the installation, having successfully installed the UEFI bios and created a Mountain Lion Unibeast drive with no issues, but booting the Unibeast drive goes to the grey apple screen with a spinner and after a moment it goes to black and the display turns off. The machine does not restart and must be hard restarted. Booting in verbose mode, it mentions something about the previous reason but unfortunately the last, and probably relevant messages flash past to black too fast for me to read. I'll keep trying.
Oddities in my system which may be the cause: I'm using a mere Celeron 2.4 GHz G530. I am using a known compatible eVGA Geforce 240 PCIe 16x card for graphics, knowing that the "HD Video" in the Celeron is not compatible with OS X. I have disabled the video in BIOS, but neither that nor leaving it on Auto or PEG init display first yield any different result.
I am assuming something about the CPU is the issue. But I can't tell.
The only other thing I noticed is there is a reference in the guide to the Boot menu having duplicate entries for the Unibeast drive and to select the one that does not say UEFI. Neither on the Boot menu nor the chimera menu has two choices for me with one labeled UEFI. Does this mean something?
Thank you.

New information for my case, which may have sort of solved itself, but maybe not. The system does not work, as above, with my GeForce 240 installed. However, removing it and using the onboard video ports, even though they are together with the unsupported "HD graphics" of the Celeron processor, I get through the installation process. That, unfortunately, is as far as I get with the onboard graphics, or with the GeForce 240 back in, or with either of those with any number of start up flags (GE=no, PCIRootUID=0, etc). Verbose mode still flashes past too fast, even watching it with a camera and then going back frame by frame.

So I've managed to install, but now get grey Apple screen, spinner, then blackness. Do I have to shell out for an i3-2125 to get HD3000 graphics, or a new graphics card? Has the 240 been dropped by Mountain Lion?

New information for my case, which may have sort of solved itself, but maybe not. The system does not work, as above, with my GeForce 240 installed. However, removing it and using the onboard video ports, even though they are together with the unsupported "HD graphics" of the Celeron processor, I get through the installation process. That, unfortunately, is as far as I get with the onboard graphics, or with the GeForce 240 back in, or with either of those with any number of start up flags (GE=no, PCIRootUID=0, etc). Verbose mode still flashes past too fast, even watching it with a camera and then going back frame by frame.

So I've managed to install, but now get grey Apple screen, spinner, then blackness. Do I have to shell out for an i3-2125 to get HD3000 graphics, or a new graphics card? Has the 240 been dropped by Mountain Lion?

I had a very similar problem on another build with a GT630. To get around it I did this:

1. remove the hard disk and add it to another system capable of running OSX (internal or via USB (i.e. dock) is fine).
  2. install OSX to the hard disk. I used the vanilla ML installer on my mba (specifying the attached disk). Alternatively, using unibeast on another rig capable of OSX would be fine.
  3. once installed and booted, configure with multibeast as directed in this thread and then enable screen sharing in system prefs, making a note of your ip address, I also configured my user account to auto-logon for convenience.
  4. put the hard disk back in the pc in which it is intended and boot it
  5. when it gets to the black screen you can then remote control it from another system (i.e. in safari browse to vnc://ip.address.xxx.yyy)
  6. via the remote control I then created a dsdt file with nvidia support. I won't go into the details for that here though. Part 3 of Toledas HDMI audio guide has the steps required for enabling nvidia in the DSDT.
  7. Once the DSDT was created and saved to /Extra/DSDT.aml I was then successfully able to boot with GE=No

That might not be feasible to some, in that case I would suggest using another GPU.

Hope that helps

Thanks for the great guide! I was hopefull that this time I will finally have a working hackintosh...

I upgraded my motherboard to UEFI. Then I inserted the unibeast drive and choose it from the boot screen (it is listed only once and without UEFI).

Then the installation doesn't start, I get blank screen and after a minute it reboots back to windows... I don't even see the chimera boot screen :(

I tried making a new unibeast drive, but I get the same result. The screen is thru DVI.

Would be grateful for any sort of help :)

Hi, in the UEFI boot menu there might be 2 options listed for your usb key, one of them is prefixed with UEFI, this one does not work and you must use the other one to boot Chimera. Perhaps that is your problem? Certainly it would manifest in the same way.

Hi again memmerson. :)

Could you please answer me a question.

Yesterday bought the Silverstone FT03 case and now I will buy the motherboard.
At first I wanted to mount an ivy bridge system with a Core i5 3570K and B75M-D3H motherboard but
I have the problem that necessarily need PWM fans regulation that make more noise than voltage system.

My other option to avoid using PWM fans is buying Z68MA-D2H-B3 motherboard because accepts PWM and Voltage regulation.

I have seen on the website of gigabyte there a two revs of this motherboard 1.0 and 1.3.

Version 1.3 is interesting because accepts Ivy Bridge processor and PCI 3.0. The problem is i can not find anywhere to buy it here in Europe. Only rev 1.0

My question is simple:
Version 1.0 does not accept Ivy Bridge processors due to hardware issue ?
And it's not possible update 1.0 to 1.3 rev too. right ?

Thanks for the info. And sorry about the little offtopic. :)

Hi Seahawk, I am not sure there is much of a difference. According to GB's website the rev. 1.0 also supports PCIe3 and the Ivy Bridge processors as of BIOS F10, but I've no personal experience of this. My mobo is the 1.0.

Ok. Thank you very much. Now I understand everything.

On the spanish gigabyte web does not speak about ivy bridge cpu's but on the english gigabyte web it does.
I put a link to both. I think so if I decide to buy rev 1.0 would have no problem putting ivy bridge processor.

My goal is watching movies with hdmi connection (audio and video) using GT640. It's possible ?

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3855#ov
http://es.gigabyte.com/products/page/mb/ga-z68ma-d2h-b3rev_10/overview/

Thank so much ;)

Hey guys,

For those of you who are using VirtualBox, it was seriously messing with my ethernet card. Lan would go down when VM was booting, had to run ifconfig en0 down/up every now and then to sort out. Problem fixed with deleting the Realtek driver and reverting back to Lnx2mac

First thanks for the guide, worked absolutely perfectly.

How do you first delete the driver? Just delete the kext files? Is there a config file that needs to be edited?

I'm using Fusion 5 and running into the same problems I did before with any VM software killing the ethernet card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back