Contribute
Register

GUIDE: GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 UEFI BIOS - ALL WORKING, DSDT not required!

Status
Not open for further replies.
PLEASE CAN I ASK THAT ANY QUESTIONS ARE POSTED IN THIS THREAD RATHER THAN BY PM TO ME. THIS IS TO ENSURE THAT OTHERS MAY BENEFIT FROM ANY DISCOURSE THAT MAY FOLLOW. THANKS!

Using this method of installation I have a hackintosh that boots in about 15 seconds (including UEFI POST!) and provides full hardware support with, so far, no issues.

Status
[WORKING]
+ UEFI BIOS: Speedier boot times. Native power management. No DSDT required.
+ Graphics: Intel HD3000 (perfect, no glitches/artefacts)
+ Networking: Realtek RTL8111E Gigabit Ethernet
+ Audio: Realtek ALC899
+ SATA3
+ USB3 (tentative)
+ Trim support for SSDs
+ Dual-monitor support (DVI & HDMI)
+ Power Management (Sleep, restart and shutdown)
+ P-States
+ Single-click wake from sleep
+ No BIOS reset from sleep
+ Motherboard sensors (FakeSMC)
+ AirPlay (including Display Mirroring)
+ App Store + iCloud
+ SATA Optical drives
+ Bluetooth
+ Hot-swapping of SATA disks (thanks to quandd)
+ Overclocking​

[WORKING WITH FURTHER MODS]
+ HDMI audio (method here, thanks to savestheday)​

My Hardware
+ Gigabyte Z68MA-D2H-B3 Motherboard - UEFI BIOS version U1b
+ Intel Core i7 2600k CPU
+ 16GB RAM
+ Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD
+ Corsair H60 Cooler (push/pull config)
+ Fractal Design Core 1000 chassis
+ Nexus Value 430 PSU
+ 2x 22" Monitors (dual-screen) attached via DVI and HDMI
+ Apple Keyboard (wired aluminium)
+ Apple Trackpad and Mouse
+ Broadcom Bluetooth USB​

Preparation
1.) Upgrade your BIOS to UEFI BIOS version U1b, instructions on how to do this in Windows here (thanks to ttb1263) and also on OSX here
2.) Remove any add-in graphics cards for the install process, this significantly reduces the risk of installation problems. The card can be re-added post-install. Most supported cards (check the various HCL's about the web) work with just GraphicsEnabler set to Yes or No (in /Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist), although some require additional changes.
3.) For the install attach your display to the on-board (HD3000) DVI connector. You can use HDMI when installation is complete, this is because HDMI doesn't get a desktop until after the MacMini system definition is installed during the MultiBeast install phase.
4.) BIOS Settings - As default except:
- Set "Internal Graphics Memory Size" to 512MB.
- Set SATA mode to AHCI.​
- In System\ATA Port Information you can enable Hot-Swap for each for each disk it is required (not necessary for system disks, see note below).​
5.) On another machine running OSX and with the Mountain Lion installer downloaded, create a UniBeast Mountain Lion USB install key (USB key capacity 8GB minimum).
6.) Download the latest MultiBeast 5.x and place on the UniBeast USB key.​

Installation
1.) Insert UniBeast USB key.
2.) Turn on the PC, at the UEFI/BIOS screen press F12 to enter the boot menu. Specify the UniBeast USB key as boot device, you will see it listed twice, select the one that doesn't start with UEFI.
3.) Install OSX Mountain Lion (note: install partition should be <= 1TB otherwise you may have boot loader problems).
4.) After installation completes, for the first boot or until the Chimera boot loader is installed (i.e.: by MultiBeast) you need to boot to the UniBeast USB key again. This time, at the Chimera boot menu select the Mountain Lion installation disk and NOT the UniBeast installer.
5.) OSX Mountain Lion should now boot successfully.​

Multibeast Configuration
After the installation of Mountain Lion completes and while at the desktop for the first boot:
1.) Copy MultiBeast from the USB key to the desktop
2.) Install Multibeast 5.x with the options specified below:​

Important Notes
+ In the screenshot above I have specified the Core i7 SSDT, you may instead want to select the Core i5 or the Core i5/i7 Overclocked SSDT depending on your requirements. I have written a simple guide for enabling overclocking in this post, also for increased overclocks (>4.2ghz) check my post here.
+ Enabling Hot-Swap for your internal disks will make them appear with the external disk icon in OSX. It's not a problem, but if you want your system disk to appear with the correct icon you can just disable Hot-Swap for that disk, it's not as if you're going to be hot-swapping the system disk anyway...!​

Hi, I am having some problems with the Screen Resolution. Every time I log on or wake up from sleep, my screen resolution is changes to as shown in photo, like zoomed, by default in System Preferences is set to "Best for Diplay" and every time I must change to 1280x2024 (optimal for my screen), but the changes does not save. It's again to "best for display" Dock is not visible and icons are huge! I added one photo as I see when I log in, and the normal screen.

Also Chrome and other programs do not work too well, always "Not Responding", any issues?

Attachments

• C360_2012-09-05-19-46-43.jpg
    C360_2012-09-05-19-46-43.jpg
    824 KB · Views: 331
  • C360_2012-09-05-19-47-27.jpg
    C360_2012-09-05-19-47-27.jpg
    899.1 KB · Views: 788
Thank you Memmerson, that's a very clever suggestion and looks to be feasible but I'm not familiar with DSDT creation/editing, and I can't help but to have continued tinkering. If I may present you and everyone with my continuing story:
I had access to an i5 with HD3000 graphics and installing this CPU in place of the Celeron G530, and removing my GeForce 240, allowed me to successfully utilize the onboard mainboard graphics. I was able to boot my Mountain Lion drive, install Multibeast...
and run straight into the Boot0 issue, because of my Advanced Format 4k drive. Luckily this guide, posted previously in this thread : http://www.tonymacx86.com/25-boot0-error-official-guide.html
helped me to fix with Method B. Method A did not work for me, I wonder if it has to do with being on Mountain Lion and not Lion like in the guide. Anyway. I was glad to get through that issue relatively easily. Luckily, I had an available Mac to do it with.
I'm not out of the woods. Even with the (borrowed) i5, my GeForce 240 no longer works, either due to Mountain Lion, or need of a DSDT like Memmerson says. Frankly, I'm no noob but I'm not smart enough for DSDT editing (just don't understand it. yet anyway).

My question, after all that nonsense which I really post in hopes of helping others like me, my question is: How much do I have to modify this great guide to boot Lion on the UEFI? Is that possible? Is it outrageous?

Quick question on HDMI audio, when it says delete non dsdt hda enablers, I deleted alc899, but do I also delete applehda since it is replaced when you install alc899, or will this DSDT replace it?

Thanks,

Clayton :D

Clayton,
did you get an answer to this question. I have am at the no DSDT state and all is good, but I'd like to get rid of the audio pop and get HDMI audio working. We need some additional clarification on this.

Thanks for all the hard work that went into making this rather easy.

Clayton,
did you get an answer to this question. I have am at the no DSDT state and all is good, but I'd like to get rid of the audio pop and get HDMI audio working. We need some additional clarification on this.

Thanks for all the hard work that went into making this rather easy.

Can anyone comment on this questions? When using this DSDT for HDMI what exactly am I removing from the \S\L\E folder? Do I have to use KextTool to take it out or can I just drag it to the desktop? Do I then just run Multibeast with the same settings shown on the first page of this thread? Sorry if my questions are noobie'ish, I should probably know this stuff by now, but I have a very nicely working system at this point and don't want to screw it up.

This is an upgraded Lion > ML clean install system.

Also I can get my graphics card (Sapphire Radeon HD 5770) to work, but the colors are screwed, don't line up and I get artifacts. Using the HD3000 graphics it is perfect. Any suggestions on how to get the Radeon to work, only because I have it...?

Is it just me, or does it seem like QE/CI or OpenGL aren't working as I was under the impression if they all were working correctly you'd get the ripple effect when playing with widgets, unless they took that effect out in ML...

Now I've reinstalled ooo a dozen times tonight, tried all sorts of things and it never came out like that.

==================================================

Also like a couple others I've been suffering from the Gfx disproportions after restart, I install ML, boot from USB (actually internal SSD I formatted to be my install media) install MB5.0.2 all correct options, restart from Primary SSD. It's perfect, shut down, restart, perfect, on THIRD boot directly from the Primary SSD and then on it gets distorted at boot until you go to Scaled and flip to 720p then back to 1080p.

I've gotten around this by the Graphics Mode clause in the chameleon boot plist, but noticed most others don't have this issue so trying to find out why that is what it is.

==================================================

Furthermore in my putzing around, I had my comp randomly restart and then in BIOS there was no more MAC for the Eth when you hit F9 to check system info. After trying to reload default options, power cycle, turn the option off, then on while power cycling I still had no MAC or working Eth in Win7 or ML.

However, after I pulled the CMOS Batt and flipped the switch on the PSU (virtually unplugging it) and played a couple Death Races on the iPad before putting it back together, I booted into the BIOS and viola, Eth worked again. So that tiny tidbit I hope helps some one.

Thanks as always,
Jakweeze

Is it just me, or does it seem like QE/CI or OpenGL aren't working as I was under the impression if they all were working correctly you'd get the ripple effect when playing with widgets, unless they took that effect out in ML...

Now I've reinstalled ooo a dozen times tonight, tried all sorts of things and it never came out like that.

Also like a couple others I've been suffering from the Gfx disproportions after restart, I install ML, boot from USB (actually internal SSD I formatted to be my install media) install MB5.0.2 all correct options, restart from Primary SSD. It's perfect, shut down, restart, perfect, on THIRD boot directly from the Primary SSD and then on it gets distorted at boot until you go to Scaled and flip to 720p then back to 1080p.

I've gotten around this by the Graphics Mode clause in the chameleon boot plist, but noticed most others don't have this issue so trying to find out why that is what it is.

Furthermore in my putzing around, I had my comp randomly restart and then in BIOS there was no more MAC for the Eth when you hit F9 to check system info. After trying to reload default options, power cycle, turn the option off, then on while power cycling I still had no MAC or working Eth in Win7 or ML.

However, after I pulled the CMOS Batt and flipped the switch on the PSU (virtually unplugging it) and played a couple Death Races on the iPad before putting it back together, I booted into the BIOS and viola, Eth worked again. So that tiny tidbit I hope helps some one.

Thanks as always,
Jakweeze

BIOS Sys Info - F9, no MAC

see my post in #341

BIOS Sys Info - F9, no MAC

see my post in #341

sorry maybe I wasn't clear but that issue was one that was fixed :D

Furthermore it was unneeded to swap down BIOS or send it in for repair, I'm guessing if you were to pull the CMOS battery and cut off the power to the board for 5 minutes and reinstall the battery then reenergize the board your issue would be/would have been fixed as well!

Hi, I am having some problems with the Screen Resolution. Every time I log on or wake up from sleep, my screen resolution is changes to as shown in photo, like zoomed, by default in System Preferences is set to "Best for Diplay" and every time I must change to 1280x2024 (optimal for my screen), but the changes does not save. It's again to "best for display" Dock is not visible and icons are huge! I added one photo as I see when I log in, and the normal screen.

Also Chrome and other programs do not work too well, always "Not Responding", any issues?

Look at post 136 on page 14 of this thread. Use your resolution size instead of 1920x1080. Your photo is exactly what I was experiencing prior to making the change.

Look at post 136 on page 14 of this thread. Use your resolution size instead of 1920x1080. Your photo is exactly what I was experiencing prior to making the change.

aye that's what I was talking about (in reference to that post (I have read the entire thread actually as all people should do!)) saying that I as well had to flip it to 720p then back to 1080p like he did.

and fixed it only in the method described in the following post by the chameleon mod (which stopped the odd aspect ratio at start up and the need to toggle it)

or are you talking about in the graphics mode string that I should use my resolution size there? (assuming you're just meaning 1080p)

so at the moment I'm just curious about the QE/CI/OpenGL issue, do widgets ripple for you kids?

do widgets ripple for you kids?

Yes they do, and all other features working. I've tested it with dashboard, DVD Player, Chess and Steam- CS:GO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back