CPU
i5-8600
Graphics
HD 630
Mac
MacBook, MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
Android
What's the benefit of doing a BIOS update on this build?
support the newest series of Intel processors (the 9th Gen).
Yes, 9th Gen support. (Which I don't have right now, but I might.)

Also I wanted the claimed performance & stability in the F11 update which was:
  1. Support of future 9th Generation Intel® Core™ processors
  2. Update CPU microcode
  3. Update Intel IRST version
  4. Improved system performance and stability
But I admit, I have no evidence of poor performance or lack of stability. Merely the promise of better is enough for me :lol:

There are two kinds of computer users. One kind uses their computer and gets on with what they're supposed to be doing. The second kind spends all their time looking for enhancements, upgrades, tweaks, modifications, customisations, improvements, go faster stripes, etc. I'm definitely in that group :)

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370N-WiFi-F10-Clover
CPU
i5-8600
Graphics
HD 630
Mac
MacBook, MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
Android
Hmmm. 2 times (in 2.5 days) since going to F12 my machine has not woken from sleep. Monitor seems to wake but not resume DP connection. Then cycles through the inputs (1xDp, 2xHDMI) looking for a signal. Not finding one, the monitor goes to standby.

Not happy about this! Was previously 100% reliable waking from sleep. Maybe I've not set the BIOS settings as they were before. Maybe the F12 upgrade has some glitch. Maybe the modification procedure had some unintended consequence or maybe I didn't do it properly (most likely!).

To try and narrow down to the BIOS version, have gone back to F10. If no sleep problems (a week minimum) (never mind a week, I couldn't wait) then I'll go back to F12 and see if I get them again.

[EDIT] have tested quite a few times under F10 with both light sleep and deep sleep. 100% response so far. Will keep testing and then go back to F12 in a while and see if can reproduce.

Last edited:
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370N WiFi
CPU
i5-8400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
[EDIT] have tested quite a few times under F10 with both light sleep and deep sleep. 100% response so far. Will keep testing and then go back to F12 in a while and see if can reproduce.
What is the difference between light and deep sleep?

Motherboard
CPU
i5-8600
Graphics
HD 630
Mac
MacBook, MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
Android
What is the difference between light and deep sleep?
If you select "sleep" from the main menu, the screen goes dark but the system LED stays on. After a configurable period ("turn display off after" in Preferences/Energy Saver), the system goes into full sleep and the LED goes off. That's what I mean by light/deep. I'm sure there's better terminology.*

Now I've set my "turn display off after" to only 1 minute, so it goes into full/proper sleep then. This is to help my testing.

After satisfying myself that F10 was okay (i.e. cycling quite a few times through sleep and full sleep) I couldn't wait to go back to F12. Have done that now and have not reproduced any failure to wake. But waiting to see how it performs.

No idea if I caused a problem or not. Have to wait and see. Sleep/wake has always been 100% for me. I like to leave the machine on but sleeping. If ever you try to wake a machine and its light comes on but there's nobody home ... it's a bad feeling :thumbdown

[Edit] * after looking up, there's screen off, then there's sleep and maybe also "safe sleep" or hibernate. I'm not sure what state my machine is in when the system LED is off. That's what I meant by deep sleep, but I don't know. Kind of hard to test. Anyway I went back to F12 and will see what happens.

Last edited:
Motherboard
GA-Z370N-WiFi
CPU
i7-8700
Graphics
RX 570
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
Is anyone using a Magic Trackpad 2 in here?

I am using a BCM94360CS2 (MacBook Air) wifi/bt card and everything works fully natively with no added kexts (handoff, bluetooth, wifi, airdrop, etc)..

But.. the one thing that's driving me crazy is I can't set the Magic Trackpad click firmness or turn on silent clicking.
(I LOVE silent clicking..).

Is it possible a kext of some kind is needed to complete this part of the puzzle?
I've tried plugged in and wireless and no change....all other settings/gestures/etc are there and works as they should.

Motherboard
CPU
i5-8600
Graphics
HD 630
Mac
MacBook, MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
Android
Is anyone using a Magic Trackpad 2 in here?

I am using a BCM94360CS2 (MacBook Air) wifi/bt card and everything works fully natively with no added kexts (handoff, bluetooth, wifi, airdrop, etc)..

But.. the one thing that's driving me crazy is I can't set the Magic Trackpad click firmness or turn on silent clicking.
(I LOVE silent clicking..).

Is it possible a kext of some kind is needed to complete this part of the puzzle?
I've tried plugged in and wireless and no change....all other settings/gestures/etc are there and works as they should.

I am using MT2 (which i love & it's one of the main reasons I left Windows because couldn't find a trackpad).

Are you on HS or Mojave? Under Mojave and with no kexts and no changes of any kind I have:

Screen Shot 2019-04-08 at 08.52.41.png

Looking in the Help (clicked the ? bottom RH corner) I see the following:

Note: Depending on the Mac you’re using, you’ll see only some of the options described below.

What SMBIOS model are you set to? Same as mine (18,1)?

Motherboard
CPU
i5-8600
Graphics
HD 630
Mac
MacBook, MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
Android
That's interesting. Seems 18,1 under HS doesn't give the same options. Maybe try different SMBIOS. I'd search for Z370N under HS and check out the SMBIOS they use?

Motherboard
GA-Z370N-WiFi
CPU
i7-8700
Graphics
RX 570
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
I just don’t even understand how the SMBIOS is impacting this (if it is).

The MT2 full suite of options are available, I think, to literally any Mac of any vintage in the last 8 years that connects to it. So frustrating.