Contribute
Register

[Guide] Fanless mini Mojave: i5-8600 | Gigabyte Z370N WiFi | Intel HD630

Status
Not open for further replies.
[EDIT] have tested quite a few times under F10 with both light sleep and deep sleep. 100% response so far. Will keep testing and then go back to F12 in a while and see if can reproduce.
What is the difference between light and deep sleep?

What is the difference between light and deep sleep?

If you select "sleep" from the main menu, the screen goes dark but the system LED stays on. After a configurable period ("turn display off after" in Preferences/Energy Saver), the system goes into full sleep and the LED goes off. That's what I mean by light/deep. I'm sure there's better terminology.*

Now I've set my "turn display off after" to only 1 minute, so it goes into full/proper sleep then. This is to help my testing.

After satisfying myself that F10 was okay (i.e. cycling quite a few times through sleep and full sleep) I couldn't wait to go back to F12. Have done that now and have not reproduced any failure to wake. But waiting to see how it performs.

No idea if I caused a problem or not. Have to wait and see. Sleep/wake has always been 100% for me. I like to leave the machine on but sleeping. If ever you try to wake a machine and its light comes on but there's nobody home ... it's a bad feeling :thumbdown

[Edit] * after looking up, there's screen off, then there's sleep and maybe also "safe sleep" or hibernate. I'm not sure what state my machine is in when the system LED is off. That's what I meant by deep sleep, but I don't know. Kind of hard to test. Anyway I went back to F12 and will see what happens.

Last edited:
Did the bt reset and factory reset of Apple devices - no luck.

Thanks for updating with the result. Shame.

Myself, I'd try different SMBIOSs. The reason I think that matters is the message about "some mac models" not having the same options. It's this value MacOS checks. So find a HS build on the same m/b and use their SMBIOS number. I think it'll be that simple (famous last words!).

Alternatively to prove the BT and Magic Trackpad is working, if you have cloned backups, I'd try Mojave under 18,1 and see if MT works like mine. This doesn't help HS, but it would confirm HS is part of the problem.

Ugh - any ideas on now what?

Are there any core files that I could try copying over from Mojave to HS that deal with this?
Sort of a wing and prayer here..

This sucks.

(moving to Mojave not an option as I'm using and very happy with the 1080ti setup for both Mac/Win sides of this machine)

any ideas on now what?

First, don't copy files around. Its a config thing, I reckon.

Second, make 100% certain the MT options you want are available on HS models. Just in case. (Also I assume you have the most recent HS version? I'm sure you do but anyway.)

Then look for a Z370N HS build. I think there are others on here also on other Hack sites. Check their SMBIOS number. Ask if their MT works the same.

Might be good to post a general help here saying "Magic Trackpad 2 on HS problem". You might get advice from other m/b users that could help.

(Understand about Mojave. It was a useful exercise anyway.)

Second, make 100% certain the MT options you want are available on HS models. Just in case.

No question about that.
All the MT2 features predate HS anyhow, by a couple years.

Will poke around for HS builds - Hoping some are still actually on HS and haven't all moved to Mojave.
I noticed a ton of the z370n builds are either just using Intel UHD 630 or an AMD dGPU - all to be up on Mojave.

Honestly I'd have a Vega card if the performance of the AMD cards wasn't so relatively awful in X-Plane 11, which is what I care about on the Win10 install. That's supposed to get better by the end of the year as they are implementing Vulkan, but - until they do - who knows. Power draw/heat are another reason I'm not on an AMD card as this is an ITX build and the last thing I need in there is an AMD furnace.

So a variety of threads have all but confirmed that it's simply a bug introduced by Apple into 10.13.6

Here too.. (I linked to a thread above about this but it was endlessly awaiting mod approval)

Totally brutal. Thanks Apple.

People in all these threads had everything working fine and all that changed was the point release update to 10.13.6, usually for good reasons like security and/or FCP X updates that needed it, etc.

I posted about the possibility of copying over key files relating to bluetooth from 10.13.5 perhaps. Those must be similar enough that it might be possible one would think - maybe not though - I'm not an expert for sure.

Last edited:
So - this is pretty funny (to me anyhow), but I'm trouble getting pref changes to stick when I change them on the HS install in SysPrefs.

So...I boot into my Mojave install, change my Trackpad prefs and then just copy over those two files from the Mojave to HS installs and boom!

Preferences just as I'd like them.

This is so clearly just a dumb bug that Apple hasn't fixed.

How sad really that something like this persists.
I have to imagine it would be a super simple fix but still hasn't been done (and may never be).

One thing that really helps here is if you get the basics dialed in this way and then just use BetterTouchTool for swipe customizations, which I've always done anyhow, you don't really need to ever go back into Trackpad prefs anyhow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back