Contribute
Register

Final Cut Pro X Video Editing Hardware and Software on Z97X Motherboard and i7-4790K

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone explain why the z97x motherboard is preferred for fcpx?

There are many other z97 boards, and before i limit myself to the x series, I was hoping to understand why...

The board isn't preferred as far as I know. I chose this board based on NOT wanting anything extra. No WiFi or any other bells and whistles. There are very subtle differences between the boards as manufacturers try to differentiate between themselves and justify a higher price.

After saying that, if you want a reasonably priced board that you know works why wouldn't you buy this one and take away some of the risk. You are welcome to buy another board and discover any foibles or discover it works perfectly.

Rob

Thank you both, i now understand what was confusing me. Marketing is always the big stumbling block on my understanding of tech.

As for your question, why wouldent i...im very interested in a sabertooth z97 (or was, i belive ill go x99 instead. But lets not digress). I still might put a z97 together for my kid..

I am willing to take some stumbling blocks with my choice of boards, over the gigabyte standard. But i really wanted to know what Z stuff i was giving up, turns out thats just sticker marketing :) when all else is equal.

And now I know, and knowing is half the battle.

Thank you both, i now understand what was confusing me. Marketing is always the big stumbling block on my understanding of tech.

As for your question, why wouldent i...im very interested in a sabertooth z97 (or was, i belive ill go x99 instead. But lets not digress). I still might put a z97 together for my kid..

I am willing to take some stumbling blocks with my choice of boards, over the gigabyte standard. But i really wanted to know what Z stuff i was giving up, turns out thats just sticker marketing :) when all else is equal.

And now I know, and knowing is half the battle.

I would also agree with trs96 on his comments. The Realtek LAN chips are, lets be honest, junk. They use the CPU to do some of the Ethernet work which is why they are cheap and not very cheerful.

Our work production boxes are all VMWare servers running masses of Linux servers and I have a stack of Realtek Ethernet cards that we tried and abandoned. We now use Intel LAN Adaptors and they have been 100% rock solid. They are a little more (we pay around £30/$50) and its a simple no brainer from us.

We are happy to pay more for stability and reliability. We don't look for shaving 5% off a production run if it has anything less than a 100% chance of working. So far the Z97X UD5 Black board are working well and the Z87X we also have in our VMWare server has been up for over 200 days and not missed beat. The only reason its not longer is that we had a PSU failure.

We like Gigabyte but I'm pretty sure we'd like Asus as well, just never used them.

YMMV

Rob

Since you cannot use the onboard graphics adaptor with FCPX (remember this sticky is about serious FCPX use), all of the options to do with onboard GPU are irrelevant as you will be turning off the onboard graphics otherwise FCPX will run slowly. So buy a motherboard with simple graphics capabilities.

How can I disconnect the Z97X onboard GPU?

if i buy 2 5770 is just install the card and go?or i need to do something else,like install drivers,edit something on the clover configurator etc etc,im planning to use only one monitor.

also what 5770 video card do you recommend me to buy

if i buy 2 5770 is just install the card and go?or i need to do something else,like install drivers,edit something on the clover configurator etc etc,im planning to use only one monitor.

also what 5770 video card do you recommend me to buy

There should be no need to install drivers or do any configuration changes. I tried three different 5770 cards at different times and sometimes together. They should really just work by plugging them in and turning your computer on. Thats it. I can't recall if they have VGA sockets but don't use that, use the DVI or whatever.

1. The Apple branded 5770 on is NOT the one to buy here. It is identical in performance to the others but has the disadvantage that it will not show the display until the system has booted. the Apple 5770 has custom firmware to make it work on a real Apple Mac. This is the only advantage of the Apple version on a real mac and is the main disadvantage on a Hackintosh.

2. I used both Asus and Gigabyte 5770 cards and both worked perfectly well on both a real mac and on my Hackintosh. I had different pairs of them at any one time and never noticed the slightest difference. They worked well in any combination with the Apple 5770 and each other.

I cannot recommend one over the other as there wasn't any difference. Your choice will be limited to what you can source second hand. I cannot recommend any other cards as I have never tried them. They may work perfectly they may not. I would avoid XFX cards as I have heard they have custom firmware in some of their graphics cards. This may be incorrect and I may be doing them a disservice, but I know the XFX 280X cards are a problem.

Rob

There should be no need to install drivers or do any configuration changes. I tried three different 5770 cards at different times and sometimes together. They should really just work by plugging them in and turning your computer on. Thats it. I can't recall if they have VGA sockets but don't use that, use the DVI or whatever.

1. The Apple branded 5770 on is NOT the one to buy here. It is identical in performance to the others but has the disadvantage that it will not show the display until the system has booted. the Apple 5770 has custom firmware to make it work on a real Apple Mac. This is the only advantage of the Apple version on a real mac and is the main disadvantage on a Hackintosh.

2. I used both Asus and Gigabyte 5770 cards and both worked perfectly well on both a real mac and on my Hackintosh. I had different pairs of them at any one time and never noticed the slightest difference. They worked well in any combination with the Apple 5770 and each other.

I cannot recommend one over the other as there wasn't any difference. Your choice will be limited to what you can source second hand. I cannot recommend any other cards as I have never tried them. They may work perfectly they may not. I would avoid XFX cards as I have heard they have custom firmware in some of their graphics cards. This may be incorrect and I may be doing them a disservice, but I know the XFX 280X cards are a problem.

Rob
thank you Rob for reply to my message,im thinking to buy this video card http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00RXA5G5O/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

Rob one question i have never installed 2 video card on a motherboard,if i install to video cards i need to do SLI Bridge or Crossfire?im going to use only one monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back