Contribute
Register

Final Cut Pro X Video Editing Hardware and Software on Z97X Motherboard and i7-4790K

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rob one question i have never installed 2 video card on a motherboard,if i install to video cards i need to do SLI Bridge or Crossfire?im going to use only one monitor

Since AMD doesn't support SLI bridge, you can only use Crossfire :) And since OS X doesn't support SLI bridge or Crossfire, its pointless wiring them up if you are ONLY using Mac OS X. FCP X will happily use both cards without Crossfire.

However if you are using Windows as well, you can wire them up in Crossfire mode and they work well.

In all seriousness, put the crossfire cable on the cards and leave it on. OS X will ignore the Crossfire mode anyway and if you use Windows, you don't need to do anything. I leave the Crossfire cables on my dual 280X for when I boot into Windows 7. OS X ignores the cable.

The monitor has nothing to do with Crossfire. I run triple HD monitors off two cards just for development purposes. It was a cheap (ish) way of making sure I had all the ports I needed.

Rob

No as the 5770 cards are supported out of the box.

You need to start reading the threads on the various GPU's and how they work otherwise you will end up in a world of pain trying to get it all going.

Rob

No as the 5770 cards are supported out of the box.

You need to start reading the threads on the various GPU's and how they work otherwise you will end up in a world of pain trying to get it all going.

Rob

thanks Rob,i dont want to mess with the EFI partition modification so i prefer something easy to install.

edit i found this 2 cards on ebay...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Radeon-HD-5...925333?hash=item3ac22e6bd5:g:o7kAAOSw~oFXHtaQ

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ATI-Radeon-...045690?hash=item2ef03d503a:g:KtEAAOSw3mpXDqO9

they can work together?thanks in advance.

Last edited:
thanks Rob,i dont want to mess with the EFI partition modification so i prefer something easy to install.

edit i found this 2 cards on ebay...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Radeon-HD-5...925333?hash=item3ac22e6bd5:g:o7kAAOSw~oFXHtaQ

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ATI-Radeon-...045690?hash=item2ef03d503a:g:KtEAAOSw3mpXDqO9

they can work together?thanks in advance.

The changes to make the EFI partition and doing the install are very, very well documented (indeed I would say they are pretty perfect). Its very easy to make the changes and should take a maximum of 15 minutes even if you move your lips whilst reading and need to use a finger to trace the words :)

Whilst it requires you to use the command line, the changes are all cut and paste commands and it works very well. I can recommend doing this 100%.

The other advantage is that one single 280X card is worth about two 5770's. Power consumption is also significantly less.

Back to the video cards you linked to. YOU DO NOT WANT TO BUY THESE CARDS. I'll repeat that. DO NOT BUY THESE CARDS. and just in case the message hasn't gone in. WALK AWAY FROM THESE CARDS.

You don't want these cards as they have been reflashed to work with real, genuine Apple Macs. You do not have a real, genuine Mac, you have a Hackintosh.

The reason these cards are flashed is so that the video output will work on a genuine Apple Mac during booting. A 'standard' PC 5770 will NOT show the booting screen on a genuine Mac. The opposite is also true. The video cards that are for Apple Macs will NOT show booting on a Hackintosh. Standard PC 5770 video cards WILL show booting on a Hackintosh.

You should be looking to buy cheap 5770 PC cards, not anything that is reflashed. A standard 5770 video card will work out of the box. You should be looking to pay a maximum of $50.

However if you can afford it I would still go with the 280X, choose the right 280X and spend 15 minutes doing the EFI mod and you will have a very good GPU system AND still have space to put another 280X in for even more speed.

Rob

well it's seems that i need to give it a shoot to the EFI partition modification,t Rob i need to do the EFI partition modification even if im using the clover bootloader?

No, you don't have to do anything.

You can decide what you want to do. I would advise you not to buy those graphic cards you linked to. I would advise you to buy a 280X and do the EFI mod. And yes you do need to do the EFI mod with the Clover bootloader.

I would also advise you to choose your 280X very carefully and not to get an XFX version. I would suggest that you looked at a Sapphire card, a Vapour X as these work well. I would also advise you to look at which ports and how many of them you need for your setup as the main difference between the cards appears to be output port configuration.

However all of these decisions are yours to make, only you can decide what's important and what you want to do. Thats why I suggest reading, more reading and more reading so that you make the best informed decision rather than guessing and making a costly mistake.

Rob

No, you don't have to do anything.

You can decide what you want to do. I would advise you not to buy those graphic cards you linked to. I would advise you to buy a 280X and do the EFI mod. And yes you do need to do the EFI mod with the Clover bootloader.

I would also advise you to choose your 280X very carefully and not to get an XFX version. I would suggest that you looked at a Sapphire card, a Vapour X as these work well. I would also advise you to look at which ports and how many of them you need for your setup as the main difference between the cards appears to be output port configuration.

However all of these decisions are yours to make, only you can decide what's important and what you want to do. Thats why I suggest reading, more reading and more reading so that you make the best informed decision rather than guessing and making a costly mistake.

Rob

before i see your reply i found this thread http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/final-cut-pro-el-capitan-and-r9-280x-success.185966/

I just upgraded to a Sapphire Radeon VAPOR-X R9 and am very happy. Swapped it and booted. I am running Clover as boot loader and didn't change anything.

Did you already do the EFI mod?

I thought that you had to do the EFI mod to get the 280X working AND not have to use a USB key to boot. As I recall, you couldn't boot the 280X directly, but could with the USB stick. Has something changed?

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back