Contribute
Register

Final Cut crash with Vega 64 & fans always at high speed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a XFX Vega64 liquid. Everything works fine, the fan is quiet, it seems to change the speed at the load. The only thing is that the FCPX does not want to export in compressed formats hevc h264 h265. ProRes working perfectly!

Great to know!

If you don't want it to change speed at all, I suggest you connect the radiator fan to your motherboard (that is if it's not stuck in the sleeve of the pipe, which I think you can disconnect if you take the top part of the GPU apart). This way you can control the PWM fan (it should be PWM) of the GPU and have it run at a constant speed.

As far as H264/H265, FCPX is definitely using Intel QuickSync. On the iMac Pro there is no iGPU so it's definitely using the Vega card for that as well. There is another thread about enabling H264/H265 support on AMD.

@izo1 @Gaulomatic @studiomix

Wonder if you guys can help me

I just set up my new Hackintosh for FCPX video editing.

I followed @pastrychef Strix Z370-G build w/ i7-8700K + GTX 1080, but with a MAXIMUS HERO X and a VEGA 64 LQ.

Everything worked well on the first run and my benchmarks are on par with his and the FCPX render times are good, but the timeline performance is very disappointing.

The playback keeps dropping frames when the clips are not rendered and even my MacBook Pro 15 2015 can perform better.

Normally an IMac 27 with the 580 can stack 12 Luts on a clip and it would still playback smoothly withou render.

Is there anything else I need to do/can do to fix this?

I heard about radeondeinit and spoofing the Vega ID (right now it’s RX xxx) , would any/both work?

Thanks

I don't have a Vega 64, but I can attest that FCPX works "ok" with the RX560. (I don't use FCPX on a day to day basis tho)

You don't need radeondeinit if you are using WhateverGreen.kext + Lilu.kext.

What SMBIOS are you using?

Could you try going into the bios and setting GPU to "Auto" so the system sees your iGPU?

In System Information is your iGPU being shown as well?

Another thing to try is 6,1 SMBIOS and iMac Pro 1,1 (I've never tried this one but worth a shot, but those systems do have Vega cards and being as close to the GPU as possible is most important rather than CPU).

Just make sure to backup your config.plist every time you try these so you can restore easily.

I want to second this...

It's crazy.. but works.. for whatever crazy reason...
Just tried it.

Vega Frontier Edition.

My fans are just normal, and I never had any trouble with my VEGA 64 LQ.

How does FCPX work with the FE? how many luts can you stack on a unrendered clip, before it starts dropping frames?

Thanks for your help.

I don't have a Vega 64, but I can attest that FCPX works "ok" with the RX560. (I don't use FCPX on a day to day basis tho)

Could you try going into the bios and setting GPU to "Auto" so the system sees your iGPU?

Another thing to try is 6,1 SMBIOS and iMac Pro 1,1 (I've never tried this one but worth a shot, but those systems do have Vega cards and being as close to the GPU as possible is most important rather than CPU).

Just make sure to backup your config.plist every time you try these so you can restore easily.

@izo1 can you do a test for me please.

how many luts can you stack on a unrendered clip, before it starts dropping frames?

@izo1 can you do a test for me please.

how many luts can you stack on a unrendered clip, before it starts dropping frames?

I don’t think the RX560 can handle a lot.

But send me a project file and I can do the test.

how can I change the smbios to Imac pro 1,1?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back