Contribute
Register

Final Cut crash with Vega 64 & fans always at high speed

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is funny, for me its the other way around... FCPX is exporting ProRes and H.265 (10 bit), but not H.264. On the other hand, that's is not really a problem. I usually use ProRes for archive purposes and use HandBrake for Deployment - due to its massive encoding options.
Why on the contrary? Similar. I'm not sure about x265, since I did not have to use the new codec yet, or I just did not notice. But the fact that any ProRes works, it gives an opportunity to continue working on projects. The only thing that hangs the system if you click on the image stabilization, but then again, I never do that in the FCPX.
I use third-party plugins or Adobe... Sorry of my english.)

The only thing that hangs the system if you click on the image stabilization

Strange, this does not happen to me. I recently edited a video where I had to use this feature a lot, but it did not crash anything. I am using macOS 10.13.2 and FCPX 10.4.

I don’t think the RX560 can handle a lot.

But send me a project file and I can do the test.
Strange, this does not happen to me. I recently edited a video where I had to use this feature a lot, but it did not crash anything. I am using macOS 10.13.2 and FCPX 10.4.

I also get the stabilization crash!

How is your timeline scrubbing and playback? do you drop frames?

I am editing xavc files from my a7rII and phantom 4 pro and only on proxy can i get smooth timeline and no droped frames.

Otherwise, on better performance and optimized media it still stutters and drops frames.

any help would be appreciated. thanks

Hummm. Did you try my videoclip test.mov (H.264), that you use to get your fanspeed down with Quicktime?

Try putting Stabalization on that clip - let us know if it doesn't crash with a Vega card.

Link to video clip (101mb) - 1080p H.264
https://www.dropbox.com/s/3jwbdkqvwvj71s3/test.mov?dl=0

Hummm. Did you try my videoclip test.mov (H.264), that you use to get your fanspeed down with Quicktime?

Try putting Stabalization on that clip - let us know if it doesn't crash with a Vega card.

Link to video clip (101mb) - 1080p H.264
https://www.dropbox.com/s/3jwbdkqvwvj71s3/test.mov?dl=0

@unklemac

this clip has a very low bitrate 13,39 Mbit/s so I can scrub through it on my timeline without any problems.

But for one of my 4k Phantom pro files or A7RII which have 100Mbit/s, the system gets taxed much more.

this is also related to the fact that I can scrub through a timeline when using proxy files, but cant do it when I am using original or optimised media.

Something is preventing my hackintosh from being able to easily scrub through high bitrate codecs.

For comparison, I can scrub through my 4k files easily on my MacBook Pro 15 2015.

SAD!

@UncleMac

You are right, it crashes the whole system. It's crazy - my own videos didn't do that with my rig. They were 25 FPS HD, recorded with a GH5.

Maybe a little bit off-topic, but I wanted to do a compute benchmark and downloaded ethminer (yeah, I know, it's waste of energy) just to see how much crap of nothing my card can compute. Result: ~10 MH using OpenCL. Garbage result, I believe. Can anyone confirm this?

@NelsonCarvalheiro

Have you tried to include the STABILIZATION on this h.264 file? Apparently not. Otherwise, you would have saved all the owners of Vega64 from the problem of freezing and exporting files in h.264 codec ))

Last edited:
NelsonCarvalheiro

Have you tried to include the STABILIZATION on this h.264 file? Apparently not. Otherwise, you would have saved all the owners of Vega64 from the problem of freezing and exporting files in h.264 codec ))

Yes, it works. Stabilisation also works on h.265. I think this was because of the 10.13.3 update. I also added whatevergreen, so the system now recognises the card.

I did the following tests:

1 clip of h.264 opened in quicktime - scrolling is very choppy

1 clip of h.264 of with no luts on FCPX - unrendered in orinal media - choppy playback

1 clip of h.264 of with 1 luts FCPX - unrendered in orinal media - very choppy playback

1 clip of h.264 of with 2 luts FCPX - unrendered in original media - no playback , frames are dropped all over the place

1 clip of h.264 of with 6 luts FCPX - unrendered in optimized media - smooth playback, but the graphics card and the processor are taxed to the limit. instant No shut down

1 clip of h.264 of with 8 luts FCPX - unrendered in optimized media - smooth playback, but the graphics card and the processor are taxed to the limit, resulting in an instant system reboot

And with proxy media on FCPX I can add 12 or maybe even 20 luts and it plays it unrendered

With h.265 in proxy is the same thing. As long as i keep with proxys the playback is super smooth.

In premiere pro, I can even get it to play on 1/4 resolution, let alone scrub.

do any of you use premiere? everything is working fine for me with the vega frontier minus doing an HSL secondary on the footage presents artifacting. however when using open cl instead of metal the issue is resolved.. yet in resolve this function works fine using metal as the render engine. strange.

Yes, it works.
Cool! Do not you find it difficult to attach config.plist and kexts used in clover? Thank you in advance!

...And another question, the update 10.13.3 went smoothly straight from AppStore?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back