Contribute
Register

Final Cut crash with Vega 64 & fans always at high speed

Status
Not open for further replies.
@
Cool! Do not you find it difficult to attach config.plist and kexts used in clover? Thank you in advance!

...And another question, the update 10.13.3 went smoothly straight from AppStore?

Yes all went well thanks to @pastrychef s amazing work, which made it possible.

Files in attachment, again all the work of @pastrychef

Attachments

• Other.zip
    443.1 KB · Views: 83
@izo1 can you do a test for me please.

how many luts can you stack on a unrendered clip, before it starts dropping frames?

Please send me a project file somehow with whatever you want to be tested.

FCPX UI still confuses the hell out of me, I'm mostly an Adobe person.

@UncleMac

I can confirm, the stabilization is still crashing on 10.13.3, fan spinning crap is still happening. BUT: I have tested this on the X299 Skylake-X of a friend of mine: He has the special iMac Pro kernel installed (10.13.3, Build 17D2047) - and it does NOT crash. H.264 and H.265 export works as well!

His configuration:
Intel Core i9 7960X
AMD Vega 64 XTX (Liquid)
Asus Strix X299-E Gaming

Installed as per:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...c-pro-successful-build-extended-guide.229353/

Last edited:
Please send me a project file somehow with whatever you want to be tested.

FCPX UI still confuses the hell out of me, I'm mostly an Adobe person.

Thank you for the help.

Here you go.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ldwquhsgjbcigtn/Test4kRender.zip?dl=0

Please add a lut to each clip and see how many clips you can stack on original media (not optimized) before you start dropping frames.

Also, can you see on the FCPX browser how the timeline smootheness is?

The original clip is inside the FCPX library, you can right clip to open and get it.

Does it also stutter or play well when you simply open the video clip on quicktime?

Please add a lut to each clip and see how many clips you can stack on original media (not optimized) before you start dropping frames.

Before I started, I disabled "Background Render" so we see things in real time rather than from a rendered file.

I added a quick Kodak LUT I always use in other programs, but did not adjust anything with the Color Wheels. Just left it on default.

Results.

(A) 2 Clips + Scale + LUT (see attached) = Perfectly plays without frame drops in both Better Quality and Better Performance mode

(B) 3 Clips + Scale + LUT (see attached) = Frame drops in both Better Quality and Better Performance mode

Anything above 2 clips drops frames. This seems similar to a top end MacBook Pro (2017) performance with an Radeon Pro RX560.

Also, can you see on the FCPX browser how the timeline smootheness is?

It's pretty smooth, although I assume an RX580 or Vega 56/64 would be smoother? RX560 is MacBook Pro level in terms of GPUs. (and their maxed out version). However it's not as smooth as scrubbing a ProRes file which is an Intra-based codec rather than Inter-frame codec like H264.

Your source files are 4K 29.97p and your timeline is 4K 23.98. Always make sure you work in the correct framerate that matches your source files. This is probably why you were noticing stutters as FCPX is trying to bring down your 30p files to 24p. This adds additional processing. I made a new project that was 4K 29.97p that matches your source footage to test.

Better Performance/Better quality both play smooth (without LUTs applied).

Also I tried "Stabilization" and no crashes. Works fine.

The original clip is inside the FCPX library, you can right clip to open and get it.

Does it also stutter or play well when you simply open the video clip on quicktime?

The original LOG clip in the bundle file plays perfectly fine. No frame drops. It's a standard H264 file so it shouldn't have any issues.

Hope this helps. Using FCPX 10.4

I use dual monitors so the player window is on the left side in full screen. No issues so far. I can't attest that I pushed FCPX to it's limits like I do other programs (ie Premiere, After Effects, etc)....so can't attest it is 100% working for your purposes, but from a quick small test it seems to be doing ok with an RX560.

Before I had 980Ti's (Dual) and FCPX was unusable due to a dual GPU bug that stuttered the playback. This is one of the reasons I don't use FCPX. The other is the non-standard UI I don't want to learn. Also Adobe has tight integration with all their apps so I can't ignore that.

I tried to get this system as close as to a real iMac as possible. Using 18,3 SMBIOS (which has the RX580). The 6700k is in the 17,1, but GPU is more important. I have iGPU enabled so H264 export also works fast in FCPX (which uses Intel QuickSync).

I'm currently building a x299 10-core Hackintosh. It does not have an iGPU so I will be figuring out how to match the iMac Pro 1,1 as much as possible with a Vega 64 LQ edition.

I honestly do not want to use AMD because I prefer nVidia due to CUDA (I use certain applications that require CUDA). And also it's nice to have a good GPU for the rare gaming/VR session on the Windows side. But seeing that nVidia performance is horrendous under High Sierra, I moved to AMD on the cheap for now because I need to get work done. I do not want to buy a $10,000 iMac Pro (I hate all-in-ones).

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-01-25 at 3.49.15 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-01-25 at 3.49.15 AM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 156
  • Screen Shot 2018-01-25 at 3.48.52 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-01-25 at 3.48.52 AM.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 179
Last edited:
Hope this helps. Using FCPX 10.4

I use dual monitors so the player window is on the left side in full screen. No issues so far. I can't attest that I pushed FCPX to it's limits like I do other programs (ie Premiere, After Effects, etc)....so can't attest it is 100% working for your purposes, but from a quick small test it seems to be doing ok with an RX560.

Before I had 980Ti's (Dual) and FCPX was unusable due to a dual GPU bug that stuttered the playback. This is one of the reasons I don't use FCPX. The other is the non-standard UI I don't want to learn. Also Adobe has tight integration with all their apps so I can't ignore that.

I tried to get this system as close as to a real iMac as possible. Using 18,3 SMBIOS (which has the RX580). The 6700k is in the 17,1, but GPU is more important. I have iGPU enabled so H264 export also works fast in FCPX (which uses Intel QuickSync).

I'm currently building a x299 10-core Hackintosh. It does not have an iGPU so I will be figuring out how to match the iMac Pro 1,1 as much as possible with a Vega 64 LQ edition.

I honestly do not want to use AMD because I prefer nVidia due to CUDA (I use certain applications that require CUDA). And also it's nice to have a good GPU for the rare gaming/VR session on the Windows side. But seeing that nVidia performance is horrendous under High Sierra, I moved to AMD on the cheap for now because I need to get work done. I do not want to buy a $10,000 iMac Pro (I hate all-in-ones).

Thank you so much for testing this out for me.

It is clear now that something is not working right because of the VEGA 64 in a SMBIOS of 18,3. I tried yesterday to change it to IMac Pro 1,1 and I couldnt eve boot past clover , I got that black and white stop sign.

The stangest thing is that the render times are very good. I mean, my bruce x test is 12 seconds, which is a on par with the IMAC Pro with the vega 64. http://create.pro/blog/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/final-cut.png

I also get a open CL score of over 210K. Again, better than the IMAC PRO

The only thing is the scrubbing of these high bitrate files, and not even optimised media can help me...

I have to resort to working with proxy files.

Thank you so much for testing this out for me.

It is clear now that something is not working right because of the VEGA 64 in a SMBIOS of 18,3. I tried yesterday to change it to IMac Pro 1,1 and I couldnt eve boot past clover , I got that black and white stop sign.

The stangest thing is that the render times are very good. I mean, my bruce x test is 12 seconds, which is a on par with the IMAC Pro with the vega 64. http://create.pro/blog/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/final-cut.png

I also get a open CL score of over 210K. Again, better than the IMAC PRO

The only thing is the scrubbing of these high bitrate files, and not even optimised media can help me...

I have to resort to working with proxy files.

Have you tried 17,1 or even 6,1 by any chance? Worth a shot and easy to do.

For iMac Pro 1,1 I think it's more work, a user replied with how to do it but I think it's more for x299 systems.

Also how do you have your iGPU enabled for the 8700k?

If you go inside of the ASUS bios under SA (I think) there should be an option for AUTO. Set the RAM to 128MB or something like that. Also set Multi Monitor support to enabled. See if that helps. If you have tried AUTO try IGFX (or whatever it says) as the default loader and see if FCPX is faster with your monitor connected to iGPU. Also try PEG as well.

For iMac Pro 1,1 I think it's more work, a user replied with how to do it but I think it's more for x299 systems.

Also how do you have your iGPU enabled for the 8700k?

If you go inside of the ASUS bios under SA (I think) there should be an option for AUTO. Set the RAM to 128MB or something like that. Also set Multi Monitor support to enabled. See if that helps. If you have tried AUTO try IGFX (or whatever it says) as the default loader and see if FCPX is faster with your monitor connected to iGPU. Also try PEG as well.

Yes, the IGPU is enabled, and multimonitor is also enabled.

I am new to this hackintosh scene, so dont mind me asking, why/how do you think doing the other smbios would help?

Yes, the IGPU is enabled, and multimonitor is also enabled.

I am new to this hackintosh scene, so dont mind me asking, why/how do you think doing the other smbios would help?

The SMBIOS helps mostly with the GPU and power management.

Also do you have the proper SSDT for your 8700k?

The Vega series is only on the iMac Pro so your best bet is to get as close as possible to a real Mac especially on the GPU side.

I realized this many months ago and I've been Hackintoshing for a few years now.

I until the last remained on the MacPro 6.1, I has already tried everything. Previously, starting with OCX 10.7 10.8 used the designation 5.1 Then with OSX10.9 switched to 6.1 - now in order for vega64 to work properly in High Sierra it was necessary only to return to the configuration 5.1 - OMG!!! ))))))) It working!) Tnx for idea!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back