Contribute
Register

Solved > Do the Samsung 970 EVO Plus drives work ? New Firmware Available 2B2QEXM7

Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
Android
Are you guys just having this problem on Sierra? Im about to do a build with an M.2. 970 Evo plus 1TB in a Z390 M mATX motherboard and i don't wanna do the same mistake. Im planning on running it as a music production build with a gc titan ridge for thunderbolt compatibility and on macOS MOJAVE. :)

Motherboard
gigabyte Z270-HD3
CPU
i5-6400
Graphics
AMD Radeon Frontier Edittion
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
hey guys I did find the firmware update for the nvme drives

And with the firmware update I was able to format my nvme drive with out if crash/restarting my computer so now Im trying a clone trick to copy over to the nvme insted of installing again will let you know but I have the samsung 970 evo plus 1tb installed

OK update I got mine working off the nvme completly now wow how faster of a boot.

Last edited:
Motherboard
MSI Z270 Gaming Pro Carbon
CPU
i5-7600
Graphics
RX 550
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
Hi there,

I have just received my Samsung 970 EVO Plus (500GB) today - last firmware from factory.
Fresh install of macOS Mojave (10.14.2) on it without any problem. Since then, no crash or reboot at all. I will keep you informed of any problem.

8FCB5C95-DECE-4035-A0E7-F868C02C9CEB.jpeg

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
hey guys I did find the firmware update for the nvme drives

And with the firmware update I was able to format my nvme drive with out if crash/restarting my computer so now Im trying a clone trick to copy over to the nvme insted of installing again will let you know but I have the samsung 970 evo plus 1tb installed

OK update I got mine working off the nvme completly now wow how faster of a boot.

How did you do the firmware update? I can't get it to boot from the USB and it sounds like you need a windows installation to even booth the firmware ISO from the USB. I'm debating installing Windows on a partition on my main drive just so I can install this damn firmware update lol.

Motherboard
CPU
i5-7600
Graphics
RX 550
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
Nice!
Can i upgrade 970EVO+ firmware for my PM981a device? they are related, quite similar! Right?
Absolutely no idea!

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
iMac, MacBook, MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Apple, eMac, iMac, Power Mac, PowerBook, Xserve
Mobile Phone
iOS, Other
How did you do the firmware update? I can't get it to boot from the USB and it sounds like you need a windows installation to even booth the firmware ISO from the USB. I'm debating installing Windows on a partition on my main drive just so I can install this damn firmware update lol.
I had the same problem to start with, ie wouldn't boot the USB stick.
The quickest way I found was to just reset the BIOS to Optimised Defaults - after saving the current settings of course.
It then booted the USB firmware updater just fine.
After the update I went back into the BIOS and restored my old settings.
Nice and easy really.

Motherboard
Prime X299 Edition 30
CPU
I9-10900X
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mobile Phone
Android
Still gotting this issues? or solved with any kind of miracle ? XD
solved

Have 4pc 970 Evo plus
One of them had not upgrade firmware
When I upgrade it today, All problems resolved
Now, have Mojave 10.14.6 on apple raid 0
(4pc 970 evo plus 250gb)
Without any problem

Last edited:
Motherboard
ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-E
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
GTX 1080 Ti
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
So I was struggling with random reboots every 5 mins until I found this thread and updated the firmware on both my 970EVO+ and 960PRO. Now it's much better, but still a problem there (panic/reboot 3 times since Friday - last time just now).

I don't really see anything of note in e.g. system.log in the Console. Anywhere else to check?

And should I look at updating my kexts or..?

Motherboard
CPU
i5-7600
Graphics
RX 550
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
I don't really see anything of note in e.g. system.log in the Console. Anywhere else to check?
And should I look at updating my kexts or..?
  • First point: I don't know well macOS logging and can't answer.
  • Second point: I think keeping Clover & your kexts up to date is a best practice. So, yes, if I were you, I would tried that
My experience with 970 EVO Plus: fresh install about two weeks ago, absolutely no reboot / strange behaviour since then (firmware up to date from factory).

Once you tried updating Clover + kexts (I would start only with kexts first), if you still experiencing panic / reboot may be you would try a fresh install.

Do panic / reboot happen after a particular operation (like sleep / hibernate...)?