Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> Do the Samsung 970 EVO Plus drives work ? New Firmware Available 2B2QEXM7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice!
Can i upgrade 970EVO+ firmware for my PM981a device? they are related, quite similar! Right?
Absolutely no idea!

How did you do the firmware update? I can't get it to boot from the USB and it sounds like you need a windows installation to even booth the firmware ISO from the USB. I'm debating installing Windows on a partition on my main drive just so I can install this damn firmware update lol.

I had the same problem to start with, ie wouldn't boot the USB stick.
The quickest way I found was to just reset the BIOS to Optimised Defaults - after saving the current settings of course.
It then booted the USB firmware updater just fine.
After the update I went back into the BIOS and restored my old settings.
Nice and easy really.

Still gotting this issues? or solved with any kind of miracle ? XD

solved

Have 4pc 970 Evo plus
One of them had not upgrade firmware
When I upgrade it today, All problems resolved
Now, have Mojave 10.14.6 on apple raid 0
(4pc 970 evo plus 250gb)
Without any problem

Last edited:
So I was struggling with random reboots every 5 mins until I found this thread and updated the firmware on both my 970EVO+ and 960PRO. Now it's much better, but still a problem there (panic/reboot 3 times since Friday - last time just now).

I don't really see anything of note in e.g. system.log in the Console. Anywhere else to check?

And should I look at updating my kexts or..?

I don't really see anything of note in e.g. system.log in the Console. Anywhere else to check?
And should I look at updating my kexts or..?
  • First point: I don't know well macOS logging and can't answer.
  • Second point: I think keeping Clover & your kexts up to date is a best practice. So, yes, if I were you, I would tried that
My experience with 970 EVO Plus: fresh install about two weeks ago, absolutely no reboot / strange behaviour since then (firmware up to date from factory).

Once you tried updating Clover + kexts (I would start only with kexts first), if you still experiencing panic / reboot may be you would try a fresh install.

Do panic / reboot happen after a particular operation (like sleep / hibernate...)?

• First point: I don't know well macOS logging and can't answer.
  • Second point: I think keeping Clover & your kexts up to date is a best practice. So, yes, if I were you, I would tried that
My experience with 970 EVO Plus: fresh install about two weeks ago, absolutely no reboot / strange behaviour since then (firmware up to date from factory).

Once you tried updating Clover + kexts (I would start only with kexts first), if you still experiencing panic / reboot may be you would try a fresh install.

I did a CCC of my existing install from the 960PRO to the 970EVO+. One perhaps interesting point to note was that the panics initially seemed to be caused by a botched uninstall of Kaspersky security - it was looking for a component that was no longer there and crashing the main thread for some reason. I rooted out all the remaining directories I could find for this and these crash reports have stopped now. Could still be something hanging around and related to this and not the drive - hard to tell.

Will try updating kexts and see if that helps. Obvs would prefer not to go through rigmarole of fresh High Sierra install, if possible.

Do panic / reboot happen after a particular operation (like sleep / hibernate...)?

It appears to be just random, when it's sat there with the desktop open.

I had the same problem to start with, ie wouldn't boot the USB stick.
The quickest way I found was to just reset the BIOS to Optimised Defaults - after saving the current settings of course.
It then booted the USB firmware updater just fine.
After the update I went back into the BIOS and restored my old settings.
Nice and easy really.

I ended up getting it to work by using an app called Etcher to create the bootable usb. Unetbootin simply wasn’t working.

I have Samsung NVMe 970 PRO 512GB with StarTech M.2 Adapter x4 PCIe 3.0 installed on Mojave, everything work fine except I'm not happy with the speed: Write 2000mb/s - Read 2900mb/s:)
I didn't see any firmware or drives update for NVMe 970 PRO what can I do, please any advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back