Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> Do the Samsung 970 EVO Plus drives work ? New Firmware Available 2B2QEXM7

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 2 of them (Big Sur/Monterey) and never had an issue. They both came with 2B2QEXM7 and I have never update the firmware.
I have 2 970plus evo's, one is being used for on 12.5.1 and the other on windows 10. I have updated both in the past... they are as of now both on 2B2QEXM7, same as yours. I just checked them earlier today.

I did a fresh install of 10.15.7, used @CaseySJ 's opencore files from Hackindrom for the Z490 w/openintel (which uses 0.7.4). I then updated to Monterey 12.2.x. It didn't want to update to 12.5.x. There was no option. I somehow got it to 12.5.1 (don't ask how.. I know it wasn't from the appstore).

Once confirmed all was working I then updated Opencore to 0.8.3. Checked that APFS timeout was set to -1. It was.

In the process of doing all this I moved a bunch of files over to the drive from my old install... several gb's. I did delete alot after... several gb's more.

Trim is shown as supported and as I said before APFS timeout is at -1.

Boot and shutdown times have been a non issue.

o_O Have the 970plus issues been addressed?

Trim is shown as supported because the drive supports trim, which is normal. You mentioned a fresh install, which is why you have no issue with boot times (shutdown times were never an issue).

The boot times are fine for fresh installation but after a while (I'm not sure how long), they return back to the abnormal delay we are all complaining about.

I'm not sure how the drive will perform under Ventura, but I do not expect it to behave any differently from Monterey. In my opinion, it should be avoided as the main drive, and be used only as a secondary drive.

Trim is shown as supported because the drive supports trim, which is normal. You mentioned a fresh install, which is why you have no issue with boot times (shutdown times were never an issue).

The boot times are fine for fresh installation but after a while (I'm not sure how long), they return back to the abnormal delay we are all complaining about.

I'm not sure how the drive will perform under Ventura, but I do not expect it to behave any differently from Monterey. In my opinion, it should be avoided as the main drive, and be used only as a secondary drive.
I have my Monterey install running on a 970EVO M2 and don't notice any issues. Is there something I can do to see ? I have been running on OpenCore and Monterey since about May.

Since it's working, then, there's no need to dig any further... if after one point you'll get very long boot times (for example mine was 8 minutes, for others, it was 2, others 15 etc.), then I would suggest you to just get another primary drive and leave the 970EVO as your secondary, at least that's what I did and it works perfectly fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back