Contribute
Register

Solved > Do the Samsung 970 EVO Plus drives work ? New Firmware Available 2B2QEXM7

Motherboard
ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-E
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
GTX 1080 Ti
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
So I was struggling with random reboots every 5 mins until I found this thread and updated the firmware on both my 970EVO+ and 960PRO. Now it's much better, but still a problem there (panic/reboot 3 times since Friday - last time just now).

I don't really see anything of note in e.g. system.log in the Console. Anywhere else to check?

And should I look at updating my kexts or..?

Motherboard
MSI Z270 Gaming Pro Carbon
CPU
i5-7600
Graphics
RX 550
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
I don't really see anything of note in e.g. system.log in the Console. Anywhere else to check?
And should I look at updating my kexts or..?
  • First point: I don't know well macOS logging and can't answer.
  • Second point: I think keeping Clover & your kexts up to date is a best practice. So, yes, if I were you, I would tried that
My experience with 970 EVO Plus: fresh install about two weeks ago, absolutely no reboot / strange behaviour since then (firmware up to date from factory).

Once you tried updating Clover + kexts (I would start only with kexts first), if you still experiencing panic / reboot may be you would try a fresh install.

Do panic / reboot happen after a particular operation (like sleep / hibernate...)?

Motherboard
ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-E
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
GTX 1080 Ti
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
  • First point: I don't know well macOS logging and can't answer.
  • Second point: I think keeping Clover & your kexts up to date is a best practice. So, yes, if I were you, I would tried that
My experience with 970 EVO Plus: fresh install about two weeks ago, absolutely no reboot / strange behaviour since then (firmware up to date from factory).

Once you tried updating Clover + kexts (I would start only with kexts first), if you still experiencing panic / reboot may be you would try a fresh install.
I did a CCC of my existing install from the 960PRO to the 970EVO+. One perhaps interesting point to note was that the panics initially seemed to be caused by a botched uninstall of Kaspersky security - it was looking for a component that was no longer there and crashing the main thread for some reason. I rooted out all the remaining directories I could find for this and these crash reports have stopped now. Could still be something hanging around and related to this and not the drive - hard to tell.

Will try updating kexts and see if that helps. Obvs would prefer not to go through rigmarole of fresh High Sierra install, if possible.

Do panic / reboot happen after a particular operation (like sleep / hibernate...)?
It appears to be just random, when it's sat there with the desktop open.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
I had the same problem to start with, ie wouldn't boot the USB stick.
The quickest way I found was to just reset the BIOS to Optimised Defaults - after saving the current settings of course.
It then booted the USB firmware updater just fine.
After the update I went back into the BIOS and restored my old settings.
Nice and easy really.
I ended up getting it to work by using an app called Etcher to create the bootable usb. Unetbootin simply wasn’t working.

Motherboard
GA-Z170X-UD5 TH
CPU
i7-7700K
Graphics
GTX 980 Ti
Mac
MacBook Pro
I have Samsung NVMe 970 PRO 512GB with StarTech M.2 Adapter x4 PCIe 3.0 installed on Mojave, everything work fine except I'm not happy with the speed: Write 2000mb/s - Read 2900mb/s:)
I didn't see any firmware or drives update for NVMe 970 PRO what can I do, please any advice?

Hi! I have put a 970 EVO Plus in a 2017 iMac. Before installing I took it to a computer service store who could put the m2 in a windows-computer and upgraded the firmware for me. I paid like $20 for this, as I have no people around who could do it for me. I just have to trust that they made the proper firmware-upgrade. At any rate, this m2 cannot be detected after install, even when I have used Unetbootin and Etcher (sorry about the picture being posted the wrong way)... Could it be hardware-related? I cannot for the life of me figure out why this is happening! I have used equipment (like the recommended Sintech adapter (ST-NGFF2013C)) and procedures described here: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/imac-retina-5k-27-inch-2017-cpu-and-nvme-ssd-upgrade-pitfalls-and-tips.2177812/#post-27283795

Any suggestions? I cannot see that most people here have trouble in detecting the m2?

Attachments

Motherboard
Z370 Aorus Pro
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
Vega 64
Hello!
Today I was installing Catalina ( 15.10.1 ) on this SSD --> EVO 970 Plus.
My experience was difficult because I don't have all knowledges about Hackintosh. This is my third computer with Mac Os and I did the installation very well except:
  1. Injection of Vega 64 8GB.
  2. Power off, reboot and sleep.
NOTE: Before update the firmware I had a lot of problems installing Catalina. After this, work fine.

Motherboard
Asus STRIX Z390-H GAMING
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
5700 XT
I can confirm the plus drives work, at least to some extent. My new system has only been up and running for about 48 hours now but so far so good. I did a fresh Mojave install following this guide: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/the-everything-works-asus-z390-i-gaming-i7-8700k-sapphire-rx580-pulse-build.272572/

The only issue I ran into so far was that I needed to use Display Port rather than HDMI to connect, otherwise the screen just goes black and becomes unresponsive. However, I don't think that's related to this drive. Just something to note.