Contribute
Register

Cuda causes boot loop El Capitan GTX 570 and GT120

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, and the GTX 570 is on top of the list. I think this is pertinent - I used the AE GPUSniffer and it only shows the GT 640. The Premiere GPUSniffer shows both. So to repeat - the GTX 570 works fine in CUDA but doesn't help OpenCL.
I have all the latest NVidia drivers.

It has been a while since I ran a GTX 570 and/or Adobe CS6 but I believe I had that combination working in the past in a legit 2006 Mac Pro. Make sure the name in the txt file is complete, i.e. GeForce GTX 570.

Here is a thought - The GTX 570 has been 'chipped' to work 'natively' on the Mac - ie it shows the Boot screen. Could that be having an effect? The GT 640 is a standard 'Windows' card.

This is the list I have put on both the ‘cuda_supported_cards’ and the ‘retracer_supported_cards’ text files:

GeForce GTX 570

GeForce GTX 570

GeForce GT 640

GeForce GT 640

Quadro 4000

This is the result of the ‘GPUSniffer’:

Found 4 devices supporting GPU computation.

CUDA Device 0 -

Name: GeForce GTX 570

Capability: 2

Driver: 7.05

Total Video Memory: 2559MB

CUDA Device 1 -

Name: GeForce GT 640

Capability: 3

Driver: 7.05

Total Video Memory: 2047MB

OpenCL Device 2 -

Name: GeForce GT 640

Capability: 1.2

Driver: 1.2

Total Video Memory: 2048MB

Not chosen because it did not match the named list of cards

OpenCL Device 3 -

Name: GeForce GTX 570

Capability: 1.2

Driver: 1.1

Total Video Memory: 2560MB

Not chosen because it did not match the named list of cards

I am flummoxed!

OK - been doing a bit of Googling and may have found the answer. Apparently Apple have a filter in the OpenCL code in the OS that ignores any GPU with more than 2GB of memory if it does not appear on their 'approved' list. In other words it will ignore any cards added to the Adobe list that have more than 2GB.
I have found a site that has details of an edit to a file in the OS LIbrary to remove this filter, but it only has the details for older versions (I am on Yosemite).
I will carry on looking later in the week.

OK - been doing a bit of Googling and may have found the answer. Apparently Apple have a filter in the OpenCL code in the OS that ignores any GPU with more than 2GB of memory if it does not appear on their 'approved' list. In other words it will ignore any cards added to the Adobe list that have more than 2GB.
I have found a site that has details of an edit to a file in the OS LIbrary to remove this filter, but it only has the details for older versions (I am on Yosemite).
I will carry on looking later in the week.

Pretty sure that is false. My GTX 970 works fine with After Effects CC 2015 and it has 4GB of memory. I don't even have to add it to any txt files. The GTX 570 I used to have when I was running a CS6 was a 1.2GB VRAM version.

That would make sense if the GTX-970 is already on the Apple list. You only have to add those that are not on the list. My GTX 570 is 2.5GB.
The patch to the OS has been developed by the same company that chipped the 570.
FWIW

That would make sense if the GTX-970 is already on the Apple list. You only have to add those that are not on the list. My GTX 570 is 2.5GB.
The patch to the OS has been developed by the same company that chipped the 570.
FWIW

The GTX 970 is not supported by OS X at all. You have to use the Nvidia web drivers use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back