Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
MSI Z97 Gaming 5
CPU
Intel i7 4790K
Graphics
Nvidia Geforce GTX 570 / GT 120
I clean installed El Capitan 10.11.4 per tonymacx86's El Capitan+Clover guide without a problem, and the OS X native graphics drivers were working great, recognized both my GTX 570 and my GT120 (I'm running a DaVinci Resolve machine, so the GT120 is my cheap GUI card and the GTX 570 is my image processing card, both from a previous Mountain Lion build).

When I installed the latest CUDA drivers (7.5.27), I was unable to boot without nv_disable=1 and nvda_drv=1. Nvidia Injection is turned off. I haven't been able to figure out a way to roll back to the native OSX drivers or update/roll back to the correct Cuda driver or Cuda+web drivers, and most of the information for El Capitan is geared toward newer graphics cards than the 570.

I've tried installing the 346.03.06f01 web drivers in case Cuda required those, but nothing changed. I've reinstalled OS X on top of my existing installation to no avail. I'm pretty close to wiping the drive and doing a clean install, but I still need a way to enable Cuda and OpenCL as this is an Premiere, After Effects, and 3D modeling machine.

Anyone know how to get Cuda up and running on an El Capitan machine running an old GTX 570 and an even older GT120 card? Do I need to update my graphics cards for El Capitan?

Here are the rest of my system specs:
System definition: Mac Pro 3,1
MSI Z97 Gaming 5
Intel i7 4970K
8GB RAM
OS X 10.11.4
Connecting GTX 570 directly to monitor via DVI-D

Thanks!

Update: After wiping the boot drive and doing a clean install of 10.11, I encountered the same problem. But on a lark, I decided to try out InjectNvidia=true. Lo and behold, I was able to boot into El Capitan, and the computer recognized my GTX 570 and GT120.

Dare I try to install Cuda drivers again, and if so, which version? The latest, or an older release? Do I need to install web drivers as well? I'm going to first install After Effects and Cinema 4D and see if they're utilizing OpenCL or not.

Here is what After Effects reports regarding my GTX 570, which is unable to use Cuda.

Fast Draft: Available
Texture Memory: 409.00 MB
Ray-tracing: CPU
(GPU not available - incompatible device or CUDA driver)
OpenGL
Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Device: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570 OpenGL Engine
Version: 2.1 NVIDIA-10.10.5.2 310.42.25f01
Total Memory: 1.00 GB
Shader Model: -
CUDA
Driver Version: 1.0 (5.0 or later required)
Devices: -
Current Usable Memory: -
Maximum Usable Memory: -

I'm going to try installing the 346.03.06f01 web drivers now and reboot with Nvidia Injection enabled. Fingers crossed.

Sorry if I'm talking to myself too much. Hopefully this is helpful for somebody out there with older GPUs.

Final update: 346.03.06f01 web drivers + 7.5.27 Cuda drivers + Nvidia injection finally got everything working.

Moral of the story: some cards do require Nvidia Injection in El Capitan?

Final update: 346.03.06f01 web drivers + 7.5.27 Cuda drivers + Nvidia injection finally got everything working.

Moral of the story: some cards do require Nvidia Injection in El Capitan?

Lots of cards require Nvidia Injection for OS X in general. ALL 200/300/400/500 and some 600 series card require injection. CUDA has nothing to do with getting a GPU to work in OS X. It will only help if you are using software designed to leverage it, i.e. After Effects.

Lots of cards require Nvidia Injection for OS X in general. ALL 200/300/400/500 and some 600 series card require injection. CUDA has nothing to do with getting a GPU to work in OS X. It will only help if you are using software designed to leverage it, i.e. After Effects.
Just found this discussion via Google search. I wonder if anybody can help. I have a MacPro 4.1 running OSX 10.10.5. It has a Mac enabled GTX 570, and a non enabled GT 640. I have followed various procedures on line and now have the GTX570 working fine on CUDA and thus supporting Premiere. I also have Ray Tracing GPU support for After Effects, but it is using the GT640. I cannot see any way of moving this support to the GTX 570 which would presumably be faster. Any ideas? Go easy on the deep stuff - I'm an old timer!

Just found this discussion via Google search. I wonder if anybody can help. I have a MacPro 4.1 running OSX 10.10.5. It has a Mac enabled GTX 570, and a non enabled GT 640. I have followed various procedures on line and now have the GTX570 working fine on CUDA and thus supporting Premiere. I also have Ray Tracing GPU support for After Effects, but it is using the GT640. I cannot see any way of moving this support to the GTX 570 which would presumably be faster. Any ideas? Go easy on the deep stuff - I'm an old timer!

What version of After Effects are you running?

Yes, and the GTX 570 is on top of the list. I think this is pertinent - I used the AE GPUSniffer and it only shows the GT 640. The Premiere GPUSniffer shows both. So to repeat - the GTX 570 works fine in CUDA but doesn't help OpenCL.
I have all the latest NVidia drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back