Contribute
Register

Can't boot after updating Clover to 5155

OK - so when I boot from the USB I have, it loads Clover 3423 but doesnt show any other option to boot from other than the USB.

clover3423.jpg

Then, if I boot from there, I get an OSX Installer with access to the utilities menu.

osxInstaller.jpg

What can I do from this point? I am at a loss.

So I found an older SSD with 10.11.6 El Capitan that I can boot into. However, the 10.15.6 Drive I am struggling with will not mount, but it does show up in Disk Utility.

I may be getting closer to resolving things but could still use some guidance. Thanks.

OK - so when I boot from the USB I have, it loads Clover 3423 but doesnt show any other option to boot from other than the USB.

View attachment 571738

Then, if I boot from there, I get an OSX Installer with access to the utilities menu.

View attachment 571739

What can I do from this point? I am at a loss.

Well you can do quite a lot from the Installer but some things may seem a bit arcane if you don't feel confident.

First thing I would do, is back at the main Installer screen you should have Disk Utility as an option. With this you can check if there are any problems with your main destination drive.

It's possible, if you run the Terminal app from the menu you have open above, to mount the EFI partition of your main drive and copy the EFI-Backup files into it to restore your bootable main drive. BUT this is fiddly and not intuitive - learning Terminal commands is a bit up-hill.

As @Feartech pointed out earlier, Clover v5155 will use a different code-base to v3423. It is now based on OpenCore runtimes.

So I found an older SSD with 10.11.6 El Capitan that I can boot into. However, the 10.15.6 Drive I am struggling with will not mount, but it does show up in Disk Utility.

I may be getting closer to resolving things but could still use some guidance. Thanks.

Okay, that's good. El Capitan was released years prior to the earliest version of the newer APFS files system Apple used in Catalina, hence why El Cap can't mount it.

I wonder if you could download the Catalina installer from the App Store and use UniBeast from our Downloads section to create a new UniBeast bootable USB stick?

I haven't tried downloading Catalina from an El Cap system myself as I've never needed to, but if you have the Catalina installer and UniBeast you should be good to go.

No need to actually install again but just boot from the new stick and select your existing drive.

Well you can do quite a lot from the Installer but some things may seem a bit arcane if you don't feel confident.

First thing I would do, is back at the main Installer screen you should have Disk Utility as an option. With this you can check if there are any problems with your main destination drive.

It's possible, if you run the Terminal app from the menu you have open above, to mount the EFI partition of your main drive and copy the EFI-Backup files into it to restore your bootable main drive. BUT this is fiddly and not intuitive - learning Terminal commands is a bit up-hill.

As @Feartech pointed out earlier, Clover v5155 will use a different code-base to v3423. It is now based on OpenCore runtimes.
Thanks for that!

I am a little familiar with Terminal but by no means an avid user. It sounds like I will be able to do what I am hoping to do. I will open up Terminal but what commands do I enter or where can I find relevant documentation?

I wonder if you could download the Catalina installer from the App Store and use UniBeast from our Downloads section to create a new UniBeast bootable USB stick?

I haven't tried downloading Catalina from an El Cap system myself as I've never needed to, but if you have the Catalina installer and UniBeast you should be good to go.

No need to actually install again but just boot from the new stick and select your existing drive.
Might this be another USB Stick I have "MAC OSX Install ESD"?
(Although this looks to be Mountain Lion)

I also have one for this build titled Utils.

Last edited:

OK, I tried booting into the OSX USB and running First Aid on the Main 10.15.6 Drive:

"Problems were found with the partition map which might prevent booting"
But what to do now?

OK, I tried booting into the OSX USB and running First Aid on the Main 10.15.6 Drive:

"Problems were found with the partition map which might prevent booting"
But what to do now?

As I hinted at above, if the Disk Utility version is from an older macOS or OS X version then it might not be familiar with the APFS system, so will either not recognise it or say there are problems. So don't use an older version to "First Aid".

As I say, the safest path would be to create a new Catalina USB installer, using UniBeast and the "Install macOS Catalina.pkg" file from the App Store (https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT211683).

This will have the correct Disk Utility version.

As I hinted at above, if the Disk Utility version is from an older macOS or OS X version then it might not be familiar with the APFS system, so will either not recognise it or say there are problems. So don't use an older version to "First Aid".

As I say, the safest path would be to create a new Catalina USB installer, using UniBeast and the "Install macOS Catalina.pkg" file from the App Store (https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT211683).

This will have the correct Disk Utility version.
Thanks! I will try this and go from there.
Thanks for your help. I'll keep you posted.

Back