Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H
CPU
i7-3770K
Graphics
GTX 650 Ti
Mac
  1. iMac
I have been searching the forum for some way to fix this.

I was wanting to update Catalina from 10.11.6 to 10.11.7 and was following the instructions here: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/macos-10-15-7-update.303590/

I didn't seem to get very far - after backing up my HD, I went to update Clover. Update was installed sucessfully! I then went to reboot and now it just hangs at the Apple Logo. I may have messed up by updating the kext files mentioned before I did the Clover update.

readOut.jpg

...if that helps.

I am able to boot using a USB to get me access to Terminal and Disk Utility and I am wondering if I can do anything there or what other option there is to revert Clover or restore my HD. Anyone have ideas? Thanks.

I have been searching the forum for some way to fix this.

I was wanting to update Catalina from 10.11.6 to 10.11.7 and was following the instructions here: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/macos-10-15-7-update.303590/

I didn't seem to get very far - after backing up my HD, I went to update Clover. Update was installed sucessfully! I then went to reboot and now it just hangs at the Apple Logo. I may have messed up by updating the kext files mentioned before I did the Clover update.

View attachment 571705
...if that helps.

I am able to boot using a USB to get me access to Terminal and Disk Utility and I am wondering if I can do anything there or what other option there is to revert Clover or restore my HD. Anyone have ideas? Thanks.
when you updated your clover, did you then add in all the needed config.plist changes? as it now requires a lot of opencore elements to be added in for it to boot correctly

Not that I am aware of. I have noted that all that was needed was to simply update to the latest Clover version. I did not see any other requirements.

If that be the case, is there a way to add or include those changes after the fact?

Not that I am aware of. I have noted that all that was needed was to simply update to the latest Clover version. I did not see any other requirements.

If that be the case, is there a way to add or include those changes after the fact?
best to use your backup EFI to boot back into macOS

also worth transition over to opencore, that way you only have to learn the one bootloader, and opencore is a lot cleaner bootloader

Thank for your reply.

How exactly would I do that? Where/how can I access it?

At this point, I am just trying to revert any changes to be able to start over.
when you update your clover, it creates a folder called EFI-backups in your main drive

Thank for your reply.

How exactly would I do that? Where/how can I access it?

At this point, I am just trying to revert any changes to be able to start over.

Hi there.

It will depend on how your Z77 motherboard BIOS is set to boot - from UEFI or the older "Legacy" method.

If we assume it is Legacy there will be a backup EFI folder in the root of your main drive.

(Just edited: I think even UEFI Clover places the backup in root too.)

It will depend on how your Z77 motherboard BIOS is set to boot - from UEFI or the older "Legacy" method.

If we assume it is Legacy there will be a backup EFI folder in the root of your main drive.

I see it is set to UEFI Only. Should I change it?

Also, referring to the EFI backup folder - I cannot even boot to be able to access the desktop.

I realize this may be a simple thing for those of you that work with this stuff all the time, but I am not all that well versed as some of you. Thanks for understanding.

I see it is set to UEFI Only. Should I change it?

Also, referring to the EFI backup folder - I cannot even boot to be able to access the desktop.

I realize this may be a simple thing for those of you that work with this stuff all the time, but I am not all that well versed as some of you. Thanks for understanding.

Well, didn't you say you had a bootable USB stick? If you can get to the Clover drive menu just select your main drive and it should boot (?)

Back