Contribute
Register

An iDiot's Guide To Lilu and its Plug-ins

@redde,

Have you tried patching the Azul framebuffer so that the defined connectors match the physical connectors on your motherboard ? .... @CaseySJ has an excellent guide on the subject here :-

Cheers
Jay

@redde,

Have you tried patching the Azul framebuffer so that the defined connectors match the physical connectors on your motherboard ? .... @CaseySJ has an excellent guide on the subject here :-

Cheers
Jay
Yes, i do it for Catalina 10.15.3 and it works fine

Why is VirtualSMC.efi not part of the VirtualSMC release anymore? all guides reference that VirtualSMC.efi needs to be also installed but with recent releases (anything past 1.0.9 I believe) it's no longer bundled. Why is this? Do we no longer need to install it for it to work with recent builds of Clover and Lilu?

Why is VirtualSMC.efi not part of the VirtualSMC release anymore? all guides reference that VirtualSMC.efi needs to be also installed but with recent releases (anything past 1.0.9 I believe) it's no longer bundled. Why is this? Do we no longer need to install it for it to work with recent builds of Clover and Lilu?

@apt.dogcow,

The ViirtualSMC.efi driver is still required if you are using the VirtualSMC kext as your MacOS SMC emulator and booting with the Clover boot-loader.

As to why it is no longer part of the release ? ... well I suspect that it's because the acidanthera team are no longer officially supporting the Clover boot-loader. They stated this intent around the middle of 2019 when they announced that they would be dropping support for Clover and focusing all their effort on their own Open Core boot-loader.

With that said the way things stand at the moment I can confirm that all of the latest acidanthera kexts (lilu, AppleALC, WhatEverGreen ...etc) still work with Clover it's just that the acidanthera dev team no longer test the kexts with Clover before release.

For now you can continue to use the last release of the VirtualSMC.efi driver which was bundled with VirtualSMC 1.0.9 and as far as I can tell continues to work with the just released version of VirtualSMC (1.1.2) ... I have tested it on three different systems this week and all work just fine.

I suspect that at some point it will stop working at which point you will have to switch back to using FakeSMC or re-configure your systems to use the Open Core boot-loader ... but we are not there yet.

It's also quite possible that someone in the community may take it upon them selves to maintain VirtualSMC.efi for those still using the Clover boot-loader

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
@jaymonkey Thanks for the in-depth reply, that makes total sense. I’ve just checked one of my systems that I previously used VirtualSMC on however and I can’t find VirtualSMC.efi anywhere in my Clover EFI drive, I’ve upgraded VirtualSMC a number of time’s since setting it up using KextUpdater so wondering if it’s been removed for some reason as no longer needed? (It’s also not in S/L/E although this isn’t a valid location)

I’ve just checked one of my systems that I previously used VirtualSMC on however and I can’t find VirtualSMC.efi anywhere in my Clover EFI drive.

@apt.dogcow,

It should be in the following two paths on your EFI Partition :-

Code:
/EFI/Clover/Drivers/BIOS
Code:
/EFI/Clover/Drivers/UEFI

Cheers
Jay

It should be in the following two paths on your EFI Partition :-

yeah that’s what I thought too.

6FC078C3-2D9A-4950-AEF1-133A7B1353C1.jpeg

Back