Contribute
Register

AMD RX 580 - Disappointing performance (10.12.6)

Status
Not open for further replies.
sounds great

... it looks like it is to compare with Yo great system
you think there is some performance still not available in my system? running 10.13.1

... YES, coz Yo system ist much stronger than my sys and even that, there are the same scores with the BruceX.
Maybe U should try to config Yo sys as Mac Pro 6,1 because 6 cores ???
whats a puls version? my card is an xfx rx 580 8gb

The only Sapphire PULSE 8GB version of RX580 is official use in the eGPUs for Apple devices.

Clock-for-clock your i7-7700 should be just a hair stronger, so CPU speed is irrelevant in this comparison. Heaven probably uses only 1 CPU core anyways. 632/940 points mean that RX580 is 33% slower, or in other words, the relic from 2013 (780ti) is 50% faster.

Disgustingly poor performance from the Radeon.

It depends.
If you build your hacks just to do synthetic benchmark tests then you will always be disappointed.
If you build your system to do real work, you be surprised how well Apple have made use of "poor performance from the radeon".
E.g. I use the radeon to do real work with FCPX and it wipes the floor compared Nvidia cards and all the benchmarks were irrelevant. I sold my old 650Ti and 1070 as they could not cope with FCPX. Those Nvidia cards worked well with Adobe Premiere but that was not my work flow and not my choice of Apps.

Even the 2017 MacBook Pro laptops are being used by professionals now for FCPX as even the low-end Radeon in them are well suited for the job on hand.

Benchmarks don't tell the whole story.

It depends.
If you build your hacks just to do synthetic benchmark tests then you will always be disappointed.
If you build your system to do real work, you be surprised how well Apple have made use of "poor performance from the radeon".
E.g. I use the radeon to do real work with FCPX and it wipes the floor compared Nvidia cards and all the benchmarks were irrelevant. I sold my old 650Ti and 1070 as they could not cope with FCPX. Those Nvidia cards worked well with Adobe Premiere but that was not my work flow and not my choice of Apps.

Even the 2017 MacBook Pro laptops are being used by professionals now for FCPX as even the low-end Radeon in them are well suited for the job on hand.

Benchmarks don't tell the whole story.
absolutely right! well said. im also interested in real world tests, such as fcpx and after effects or cinema 4d. im not a gamer, im a motion designer/ editor and from that standpoint i really couldnt care less if X nvidia card performs better in a synthetic benchmark. thats why i uploaded the after effects testrender file earlier, to compare for real results.

peace

@rna23

As long as I don't have the new FCPX (not the pay version), I can report really nothing :(

I sugest: U send me yo config.plist and I'll tell U (when I know) what's wrong with it.

Have a nice day(night) :headbang:

Hi, here I post my config. I would really compare them side by side on www.diffchecker.com. Would You be able to add both configs there and send me the link?

Attachments

• config.plist
    4.8 KB · Views: 281
absolutely right! well said. im also interested in real world tests, such as fcpx and after effects or cinema 4d. im not a gamer, im a motion designer/ editor and from that standpoint i really couldnt care less if X nvidia card performs better in a synthetic benchmark. thats why i uploaded the after effects testrender file earlier, to compare for real results.

peace
Hi, I'm impressed by the performance of Your system. Would You mind sharing Your config? I would like to see what might be wrong in my config so my RX580 runs so bad. Do You use any special kexts or just the Lilu and Whatevergreen?

I actually ran a Geekbench 4 OpenCL test and it gave me a super-poor result od 49.073. Other people report around 131.000.
Plase share Your way of letting this GPU work properly as this is really bad ... Thanks!

Hi,

so it seems my problem is solved. It was in the power connectors. I actually used both of the connectors and it seems only the 8-pin was supposed to be used.

Now I got 140.431 in Geekbench 4 /OpenCL. But Luxmark is still just 13.719 ...

And BruceX is 27s, which is much better but not comparable to Your results ... So still not there completely ...

Hi,

so it seems my problem is solved. It was in the power connectors. I actually used both of the connectors and it seems only the 8-pin was supposed to be used.

... great to hear about it :clap:
Now I got 140.431 in Geekbench 4 /OpenCL. But Luxmark is still just 13.719 ...

My Geekbench 4 & LuxMark scores looks almost the same:

1. Geekbech 4 2. LuxMark
Geekbench4_GigabyteZ170N-WiFi+SapphireRadeonRX580Nitro+10.13.2(17C88)_OpenCL=146082_th.png LuxMark.png
And BruceX is 27s, which is much better but not comparable to Your results ... So still not there completely ...

I think, that "macnb" got really right :clap:

Hi,
... great to hear about it :clap:

My Geekbench 4 & LuxMark scores looks almost the same:

1. Geekbech 4 2. LuxMark
View attachment 300607 View attachment 300608

I think, that "macnb" got really right :clap:

Hi,

I'm waiting for my Saphire RX580 to work with FCPX, because I had terrible times with NVIDIA 1060.
Can you share your config files, because you have a simmilar configuration?

Thanks

I'm waiting for my Saphire RX580 to work with FCPX

Great !!!
Here my suggestion: if it's still possible for You, take the PULS version of RX580. "The Sapphire RX 580 Pulse 8GB is the only current generation AMD GPU identified correctly in macOS. This is due to it being used in the Apple external graphics dev kit."

https://developer.apple.com/development-kit/external-graphics/
because I had terrible times with NVIDIA 1060.

As we can read everywhere, the AMD Radeon is the first choice to work with FCPX.
Can you share your config files, because you have a simmilar configuration?Thanks

Please, first config Your "tonymacx86" account and write in Your signature Your hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back