Contribute
Register

ADD WINDOWS 10 BOOT EFI AFTER INSTALLED OS X & CLOVER UEFI Simple

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right Steps :
  1. Boot windows 10/8.1/8 [ In Legacy Mode ].
  2. Open Command Prompt [CMD] as administrator
  3. Insert Command :
    Code:
    bcdboot C:\Windows /s C: /f uefi
  4. Now Go to C drive and then open EFI folder .
  5. Copy all the contents into a usb drive [ mainly there are two folder : "Boot" & "Microsoft" ]
  6. Restart PC/Notebook , set Boot Mode to UEFI.
  7. Boot OSX/MacOS & Mount EFI Partition using Clover configurator or Using Finder-Preference.
  8. Open USB drive and go to Boot folder & Rename "bootx64.efi" to "BOOTX64-win.efi"
  9. Now open the EFI Partition , Then Open EFI folder & Copy "BOOTX64-win.efi" to BOOT Folder.
  10. Go to USB drive again & Copy Microsoft folder to EFI Folder of EFI Partition you mounted. Now you will have 4 folders inside EFI i.e. "Apple", "Boot", "Clover" & "Microsoft".
  11. Restart your MAC & choose Windows option from clover bootmenu.

FIX For Only Windows Loading :
After these steps is quite possible that your Notebook/PC is only Booting Windows Partition or drive , to fix it follow theses steps:

1. Go to Bios Setting.
  2. Found option like "Add NEW Boot Entry" [ option only available after setting boot mode to UFEI ]
  3. Add Name (Your Choice) & Path = " EFI\CLOVER\CLOVERX64.efi "
  4. Save setting and reboot again into BIOS.
  5. Move Your this new Boot Entry in Top of Your Boot Mode or Boot Priority .
  6. Save BIOS Setting and Restart Normally.

I finally got this working after trying many solutions. Windows was loading fine but after the splashscreen/spinner I just got an indefinite black screen.

Now I'm not totally sure if everything I did is necessary but I know that disabling integrated graphics in the BIOS was the ultimate solution that worked (note I have a PCI-E graphics card installed). Here's what I did in BIOS:
  1. Set 'Windows 8 Features' to 'Windows 8'
  2. Set 'CSM Support' to 'Never'
  3. Set 'Secure Boot' to 'Disabled'
  4. Disable Intel integrated graphics
Thanks to this post for the solution: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...icks-win-8-1-issue.135934/page-3#post-1087772
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...icks-win-8-1-issue.135934/page-3#post-1087772
Thanks for all the help here also!

I finally got this working after trying many solutions. Windows was loading fine but after the splashscreen/spinner I just got an indefinite black screen.

Now I'm not totally sure if everything I did is necessary but I know that disabling integrated graphics in the BIOS was the ultimate solution that worked (note I have a PCI-E graphics card installed). Here's what I did in BIOS:
  1. Set 'Windows 8 Features' to 'Windows 8'
  2. Set 'CSM Support' to 'Never'
  3. Set 'Secure Boot' to 'Disabled'
  4. Disable Intel integrated graphics
Thanks to this post for the solution: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...icks-win-8-1-issue.135934/page-3#post-1087772
Thanks for all the help here also!
i had the same problem and the only way was to disable the built-in Intel graphics card in the UEFI BIOS.

Last edited:
I followed the original post exactly but I still could not get Clover to boot Windows 10. I have a bunch of NTFS drives show up on Clover bootloader screen but trying to boot any of them has not been successful. I tried "Boot windows EFI" and it just brings me to a black screen with flashing underscore. "Boot windows boot manager EFI" and it brings me to some sort of Windows error page, like disc repair or something. For now I can only boot Windows 10 by pressing F12 on boot.

This method somehow made my system not able to access the BIOS and I had to do a CMOS reset.

PS: motherboard is Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK, OSX and Windows on separate SSDs.
Same thing happened to me except I already tried removing the battery from my mobo and no post. I haven't done the short reset and my mobo does support dual uefi bios so I am hoping to god that if I do that it will work. I haven't touched it for fear that I may f-it up some more but be warned everyone, do not make changes to your BIOS, I would recommend to try the EFI setting first or to just go back to Yosemite till Clover gets fixed.

Same thing happened to me except I already tried removing the battery from my mobo and no post. I haven't done the short reset and my mobo does support dual uefi bios so I am hoping to god that if I do that it will work. I haven't touched it for fear that I may f-it up some more but be warned everyone, do not make changes to your BIOS, I would recommend to try the EFI setting first or to just go back to Yosemite till Clover gets fixed.

*UPDATE #2

So I was able to replace my motherboard with a Gigabyte Gaming 7 LGA 1150 am happy to say that both Sierra and Windows 10 are up and running. I literally just plugged the drives in set up the new board BIOS according to the installation thread and bam everything is back up. =) I'm beginning to think that for me it was a MOBO issue but at this point since everything seems to be running fine, I won't question anything else.

Right Steps :
  1. Boot windows 10/8.1/8 [ In Legacy Mode ].
  2. Open Command Prompt [CMD] as administrator
  3. Insert Command :
    Code:
    bcdboot C:\Windows /s C: /f uefi
  4. Now Go to C drive and then open EFI folder .
  5. Copy all the contents into a usb drive [ mainly there are two folder : "Boot" & "Microsoft" ]
  6. Restart PC/Notebook , set Boot Mode to UEFI.
  7. Boot OSX/MacOS & Mount EFI Partition using Clover configurator or Using Finder-Preference.
  8. Open USB drive and go to Boot folder & Rename "bootx64.efi" to "BOOTX64-win.efi"
  9. Now open the EFI Partition , Then Open EFI folder & Copy "BOOTX64-win.efi" to BOOT Folder.
  10. Go to USB drive again & Copy Microsoft folder to EFI Folder of EFI Partition you mounted. Now you will have 4 folders inside EFI i.e. "Apple", "Boot", "Clover" & "Microsoft".
  11. Restart your MAC & choose Windows option from clover bootmenu.

FIX For Only Windows Loading :
After these steps is quite possible that your Notebook/PC is only Booting Windows Partition or drive , to fix it follow theses steps:

1. Go to Bios Setting.
  2. Found option like "Add NEW Boot Entry" [ option only available after setting boot mode to UFEI ]
  3. Add Name (Your Choice) & Path = " EFI\CLOVER\CLOVERX64.efi "
  4. Save setting and reboot again into BIOS.
  5. Move Your this new Boot Entry in Top of Your Boot Mode or Boot Priority .
  6. Save BIOS Setting and Restart Normally.

This helped me alot! IT WORKS! THANKS!
Just one thing to add: once clover bootloader opened i had SEVERAL WINDOWS ENTRIES shown but only one worked (THE UEFI ONE).
To get rid of the other Bootoptions i did the following:
  • Boot into the Mac OS
  • Open Clover Configurator
  • Locate your config.plist (You will probably have to mount your EFI partition for this)
  • Select Gui on the left side of Clover Configurator
  • Near the top of the screen, you should see 2 checkboxes - one labeled "Legacy", one labeled "Kernel" - Uncheck these.
  • Profit.
src: https://www.******.com/r/hackintosh/comments/413i01/how_to_te_remove_extra_entries_from_clover_boot/

Have fun!

I find I enjoy helping other OS X self builder's and enthusiasts with their systems after I've been helped many times myself by this very community. This is a "straight to the point" guide, not "how I did it guide".

HERE WE GO

This guide has no guarantee it will work for you as it did for me. Use this information at your own risk.

This all inclusive guide is targeted for helping others using UEFI booting of Windows 10 alongside their OS X using the Clover boot loader 'UEFI' option installed on the OS X partition through latest EL Captain Multi-beast version 8xx. If you're using Clover legacy boot settings this guide won't be for you . . . .

so again --->'Not For Legacy Booting' nor older motherboards that don't have ability for UEFI booting.

It is most important that your bios settings are all properly set for UEFI booting. tonymacx86 has plenty of members in this community that have already posted guides to explain how to properly set up your Bios for UEFI boot so I won't be spending any time explaining this.

THE PROBLEM:

You post installed CLOVER UEFI boot loader to your OS X partition, achieved booting OS X UEFI but Windows 10 you can't.

THE DESIRE:

You want the holy grail. The same ability to boot your Windows 10 from the Clover boot loader just like OS X.

HERE'S HOW:

Attached bottom of this post is a zip file containing the proper configured Windows 10 UEFI contents for adding to your Clover boot installation within your permanent OS X partition. Download the zip file and open it. Once zip file is opened reveals the main folder. Inside you'll discover 2 objects. #1 A folder labled 'Microsoft' and #2 a Windows BOOTX64-win.efi file. I'll explain later in steps #9 and #10 for exactly where to place these items. Once completed you should have no problem booting Windows 10 from your Clover boot loader UEFI installation equally without hiccup just like booting OS X from that same Clover UEFI installation.

This guide designed for simplicity of how to rather an explanation as to why.

1. Boot into Windows 10 directly by using keyboard hot key such as F8 or F12 (you likely require the bios boot settings being switched back to the legacy boot options 1st in order to do this.)

2. Once booted back into Windows 10. Open command window 'run as administrator'

3. enter command: bcdboot C:\Windows /s C: /f uefi

4. You should then see a following message "Boot files successfully created". 1st step success!

5. Restart computer, enter bios & reset the bios legacy boot settings back to UEFI boot settings if need be.

6. Clover boot options should now be back. Now boot into OS X El Captain or your whatever OS X installation.

7. You now should see a Windows 10 drive and possibly a reserve drive mounted on the OS X desktop. Leave them there.

8. Using an EFI mounter like 'Clover configurator' mount OS X 'EFI' partition. Follow next 2 steps as specified.

9. Open the mounted 'EFI' drive/folder on the OS X desktop then simply drag the attached entire 'Microsoft' folder inside that 'EFI' folder. Don't mess with any contents within 'Microsoft' folder. It is configured to boot Windows 10 UEFI. Just drag the folder as specified.

For those who are still newbies learning your way around OS X and have attempted to mount your EFI drive/folder but do not see it mounted on your desktop try this:

A. Open Finder (smiley face square icon bottom of your desktop)
B. Now left click the actual word 'Finder' located at top left corner of your desktop for revealing a list of selactable options.
C. Select Preferences
D. Under 'show these items under desktop' make sure 'Hard Disks' is checked (EFI drive should now be seen mounted on desktop)

10. Now take BOOTX64-win.efi and drag that file into the 'BOOT' folder sitting inside underneath same 'EFI' folder. You now are completely done.

11. Other Points Need Mentioned to avoid mistakes. Underneath 'EFI' folder make sure you put nothing in the Apple or Clover folders. Leave them alone. The Microsoft folder should now be seen listed or being grouped among APPLE, BOOT & CLOVER folders under 'EFI' after you dragged it there. The only file you'll put within another folder is placing BOOTX64-win.efi inside that 'BOOT' folder sitting inside the "EFI' folder.

12. You can unmount Windows 10 or any mounted partitioner for that matter on the OS X desktop simply by right clicking then selecting 'eject' from the list.

13. Hopefully now a restart back into the Clover provide you booting options either OS X or Windows without problem.

I hope this simple explanation for multiboot of OS X and Windows works for you. God Bless.

Good work m8! You just saved my arse!!!!

I find I enjoy helping other OS X self builder's and enthusiasts with their systems after I've been helped many times myself by this very community. This is a "straight to the point" guide, not "how I did it guide".

HERE WE GO

This guide has no guarantee it will work for you as it did for me. Use this information at your own risk.

This all inclusive guide is targeted for helping others using UEFI booting of Windows 10 alongside their OS X using the Clover boot loader 'UEFI' option installed on the OS X partition through latest EL Captain Multi-beast version 8xx. If you're using Clover legacy boot settings this guide won't be for you . . . .

so again --->'Not For Legacy Booting' nor older motherboards that don't have ability for UEFI booting.

It is most important that your bios settings are all properly set for UEFI booting. tonymacx86 has plenty of members in this community that have already posted guides to explain how to properly set up your Bios for UEFI boot so I won't be spending any time explaining this.

THE PROBLEM:

You post installed CLOVER UEFI boot loader to your OS X partition, achieved booting OS X UEFI but Windows 10 you can't.

THE DESIRE:

You want the holy grail. The same ability to boot your Windows 10 from the Clover boot loader just like OS X.

HERE'S HOW:

Attached bottom of this post is a zip file containing the proper configured Windows 10 UEFI contents for adding to your Clover boot installation within your permanent OS X partition. Download the zip file and open it. Once zip file is opened reveals the main folder. Inside you'll discover 2 objects. #1 A folder labled 'Microsoft' and #2 a Windows BOOTX64-win.efi file. I'll explain later in steps #9 and #10 for exactly where to place these items. Once completed you should have no problem booting Windows 10 from your Clover boot loader UEFI installation equally without hiccup just like booting OS X from that same Clover UEFI installation.

This guide designed for simplicity of how to rather an explanation as to why.

1. Boot into Windows 10 directly by using keyboard hot key such as F8 or F12 (you likely require the bios boot settings being switched back to the legacy boot options 1st in order to do this.)

2. Once booted back into Windows 10. Open command window 'run as administrator'

3. enter command: bcdboot C:\Windows /s C: /f uefi

4. You should then see a following message "Boot files successfully created". 1st step success!

5. Restart computer, enter bios & reset the bios legacy boot settings back to UEFI boot settings if need be.

6. Clover boot options should now be back. Now boot into OS X El Captain or your whatever OS X installation.

7. You now should see a Windows 10 drive and possibly a reserve drive mounted on the OS X desktop. Leave them there.

8. Using an EFI mounter like 'Clover configurator' mount OS X 'EFI' partition. Follow next 2 steps as specified.

9. Open the mounted 'EFI' drive/folder on the OS X desktop then simply drag the attached entire 'Microsoft' folder inside that 'EFI' folder. Don't mess with any contents within 'Microsoft' folder. It is configured to boot Windows 10 UEFI. Just drag the folder as specified.

For those who are still newbies learning your way around OS X and have attempted to mount your EFI drive/folder but do not see it mounted on your desktop try this:

A. Open Finder (smiley face square icon bottom of your desktop)
B. Now left click the actual word 'Finder' located at top left corner of your desktop for revealing a list of selactable options.
C. Select Preferences
D. Under 'show these items under desktop' make sure 'Hard Disks' is checked (EFI drive should now be seen mounted on desktop)

10. Now take BOOTX64-win.efi and drag that file into the 'BOOT' folder sitting inside underneath same 'EFI' folder. You now are completely done.

11. Other Points Need Mentioned to avoid mistakes. Underneath 'EFI' folder make sure you put nothing in the Apple or Clover folders. Leave them alone. The Microsoft folder should now be seen listed or being grouped among APPLE, BOOT & CLOVER folders under 'EFI' after you dragged it there. The only file you'll put within another folder is placing BOOTX64-win.efi inside that 'BOOT' folder sitting inside the "EFI' folder.

12. You can unmount Windows 10 or any mounted partitioner for that matter on the OS X desktop simply by right clicking then selecting 'eject' from the list.

13. Hopefully now a restart back into the Clover provide you booting options either OS X or Windows without problem.

I hope this simple explanation for multiboot of OS X and Windows works for you. God Bless.

I have removed an older Windows 10 installation on my Hackintosh, and installed a new hard drive with a clean installation of Windows 10 Pro anniversary.
Same problem: Windows will not load under Clover (blank screen) though it works perfectly well booting directly into it, and Clover stdill boots into El Capitan.
I therefore tried the steps above, but fell at the first hurdle.
bcdboot C:\Windows /s C: /f uefi does not work. The error message is that the files cannot be found. The EFI folder is set up, with subfolders Microsoft>boot, but they are, of course, empty.
Anyone have any suggestions?

I have removed an older Windows 10 installation on my Hackintosh, and installed a new hard drive with a clean installation of Windows 10 Pro anniversary.
Same problem: Windows will not load under Clover (blank screen) though it works perfectly well booting directly into it, and Clover stdill boots into El Capitan.
I therefore tried the steps above, but fell at the first hurdle.
bcdboot C:\Windows /s C: /f uefi does not work. The error message is that the files cannot be found. The EFI folder is set up, with subfolders Microsoft>boot, but they are, of course, empty.
Anyone have any suggestions?
Check your install to make sure youinstalled UEFI mode by clicking Start->Run and typing msinfo32 and hitting enter. The resulting screen should tell you if your BIOS Mode is Legacy or UEFI. Clover installed UEFI will not boot Legacy mode Windows, so make sure you install Windows in UEFI mode. To ensure this, with only the Windows-drive-to-be connected and the installation media USB plugged in, boot the system and hit the function hotkey that allows you to choose a boot device. If your USB has the UEFI capable installer on it you will see 2 entries of the USB installer - one with USB info and one with UEFI in front of the USB info. Choose the UEFI one.

I have completed setting up Clover/Sierra on my new hackintosh per the standard instructions on this board - and Clover seems to be working properly to allow me to select Sierra on startup.

I have a blank drive in the system on which I want to install Win10, and then select either/or from Clover on startup. Are the instructions at the top of this thread up to date?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back