Contribute
Register

ADD WINDOWS 10 BOOT EFI AFTER INSTALLED OS X & CLOVER UEFI Simple

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's very easy. Delete BOOTX64-win.efi from EFI/BOOT and restore your Microsoft(EFI/Microsoft) folder to Original state.

On Microsoft/boot folder, change the name of 'bootmgfw.efi' to 'bootmgfw-orig.efi'.

Go to your CLOVER(EFI/CLOVER) folder and copy XCLOVER64.efi to Microsoft(EFI/Microsoft/boot) ... Do not rename XCLOVER64.efi.

Reboot and enjoy.

Finally! Worked for me!!!
After some long days of trial and error, selecting answers all over these forums, your solution worked for me. Can't believe it.

I already had my Hackintosh running smoothly on an SSD for more than a year now. A few days ago I tried to install Windows 10 onto an second SSD. Here's my setup:

SSD 1 - macOS High Sierra
SSD 2 - Windows 10
HDD - files etc

After installing Windows 10 following this @Going Bald's method, making sure I'd disconnected all other drives (you can do this by phisically removing the wires, but disabling them via BIOS setup worked for me), my system automatically started booting Windows, no matter the order selected on Boot Priority - neither pressing F12 and selecting Mac OS X.

To recover the old Clover menu boot, I used EasyUEFI on Windows by following these steps explained by @jpz4085 in this topic.

So the last step was to make Windows 10 able to boot via the Clover menu, since I was getting to a dead no-signal screen after it started loading. And it worked. Didn't have to restore my EFI/Microsoft folder to Original state (also wouldn't know how to do it) but the file copying and renaming totally worked.

Now (for aesthetics purposes only hehe) I have to figure out how to remove all the other useless Windows entries on Clover and I'm good.
Thank you! Obrigado!

You don't want multiple EFIs correct? Thinking of adding windows to machine with dvd bay to hd.
Done before but forget. If its installed on the 2nd drive, I just copy the boot info from Efi on 2nd
to the first? Windows may have a problem with the id from the install?

You don't want multiple EFIs correct? Thinking of adding windows to machine with dvd bay to hd.
Done before but forget. If its installed on the 2nd drive, I just copy the boot info from Efi on 2nd
to the first? Windows may have a problem with the id from the install?
If you already have an EFI partition Windows 10 will use it instead of creating a new one. If installing on a separate drive from Mac OS, easiest is to format the drive with Mac OS disk utility as if you were going to install Mac OS, then boot the Win10 install DVD/USB, select the Mac partition and delete it (leave the EFI partition alone). Press next and Win10 installer will create all partitions needed.

Thank you.

So it's fine having extras... Ive done win/Mac configurations on the the same drive and would have to
sometimes get into the Efi to regain access to clover so really in that sense its easier to have separate.

Never seemed to have a problem with multiple efis. Running 3 or 4 different os on Mac Pro.

I’m stuck at step 1-5. For me W10 dont start. I see logo but after appari black screen. I had install it into separate hd but before I have disconnected all drives and W10 is install and start perfectely. I download your zip but i am not expert and I fear to do problem at high Sierra. When I read “get efi and put into clover, move plist and mount efi OS X, after move bootlog in trash.....”, for me is chimere. Sorry I need explain step by step. Thanks at all

Last edited:
Hello friends!

Sorry for dragging this thread out even longer but im having an issue generation the uefi files in Win10. When i type the bcdboot... command into command prompt it returns saying "Failure when attempting to copy boot files" with no explaination or anything.

Anyone know what the deal is and how i can get around it?

x

It's very easy. Delete BOOTX64-win.efi from EFI/BOOT and restore your Microsoft(EFI/Microsoft) folder to Original state.

On Microsoft/boot folder, change the name of 'bootmgfw.efi' to 'bootmgfw-orig.efi'.

Go to your CLOVER(EFI/CLOVER) folder and copy XCLOVER64.efi to Microsoft(EFI/Microsoft/boot) ... Do not rename XCLOVER64.efi.

Reboot and enjoy.
I have Windows 10 on a dedicated SSD, UEFI.
A dedicated SSD for Catalina.
And I must say that this definitely works kind Sir!

EDIT:
It apparently looked like a beautiful day, but situation quickly turned into something different.
This solution worked for the first reboot, then at the next reboot, which I did a few hours later, the system got stuck at the motherboard splash screen. Leaving me out of the bios, out of the bootable drives, out of everything. No key on keyboard had any effect on system.

I started taking off system hardware to identify a possible faulty part, video card, network card, RAMs, and only at the end hard drives when I realized that the part 'bricking' the system was the windows hard drive.

Last edited:
It seems as though this thread has died since the last post was almost a year ago. Is there a newer solution? I have tried almost all of the solutions that appear here and am still without the ability to boot into Windows 10 from Clover. The last thing I tried is the "It's very easy" method described in the post above. Now there are two more Windows entries that show up when I try to boot but selecting either of them either takes me to a screen where I'm told that my Windows drive is being repaired, etc., followed by a restart or just a blinking cursor followed by a black screen.

If there is any newer information or a different post that can handle this for Mojave users I'd be glad if someone would point me to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back