Contribute
Register

10.8.3: AMD Radeon HD 7xxx Graphics Testing Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Radeon 7970M (Foxconn) in Clevo P370EM (NP 9370) working with full QE/CI. 1300 score on Luxmark default setting.

I used Clover graphics injector and the Buri framebuffer. Out of the box it works with HDMI external screen.

In order for the internal LCD display to work you have to patch the 3rd connector in the Buri framebuffer with:

Code:

After that I used the rotation trick to eliminate the white screen upon boot.

What is not working:

Internal LCD display exhibits some color banding as in it's running in 16 bit color mode. I had this issue with an nvidia 680M as well which I could not fix.
HDMI Audio (Capre Verde/Pitcairn) is not working and to the best of my knowledge is not supported.

Is Buri Framebuffer same as Clover Graphics Injector? I have gotten my 7770 to boot up but only on one of my two monitors and in a smaller resolution when using Clover Graphics Injector. However I also didn't really know what the options in there did, and fb-rotate doesnt seem to help either.

Anyone tried Chimera 2.1?How will install our graphics cards now?.We have a bootloader finally.

Ok, i have my HD7770 working. Not perfectly but 3 monitors work.

Problems: Dell U2711 will not display resolution higher than 1920x1080 (native res 2560x1440). Might be because I only have a HDMI cable and no DisplayPort. will report back when i have displayport cable. HD4000 monitor max res 1024x768.

I have IGFX set to primary & enabled. I have a monitor hooked up to internal HD4000 graphics to monitor boot progress mainly. GraphicsEnabler=No. Cleared out S/L/E of Intel & Nvidia kexts, ran multibeast with chimera 2.1.

Hello everyone!
This is a message from a long time Mac user (the Classic II was part of my childhood) who recently got a Mac Pro (3, 1).
I'm a game dev, and wanted to upgrade from the 256 MB card I'm using now to one of the Radeon 7xxx cards. (the exact one can be found in the link below)
http://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-Radeon-Mini-Displayport-Graphics-GV-R797OC-3GD/dp/B00752QYLK/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top
While I am somewhat computer minded, by the looks of things installing such a card appears ..well... difficult. I was wondering if such a card would be a good choice for a user like me, or if getting a card like this is only for hardcore mac users who are willing to sit down to a lot of work to get such a beautiful card installed. I was also wondering if it's even possible to get such a card installed in the old 3,1.
Any help would be VERY appreciated.
Thanks! :D

-SS

Hello everyone!
This is a message from a long time Mac user (the Classic II was part of my childhood) who recently got a Mac Pro (3, 1).
If you are using a real mac pro and not a hackintosh your only way to use a hd7xxx card is to buy a mac branded card.
You cant just go into a computer shop and buy a card you like.
The card must be a Mac Edition, like this one from sapphire: http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/product/?cid=1&gid=3&sgid=1157&pid=1777&lid=1

Hello everyone!
-SS

visit these forums: http://forums.macrumors.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1

there you will find people who put "normal" cards into mac pros. Usually there is a problem with powering the cards, 7970 OC could present a problem. If its for gaming only, go with nvidia though (less power and easier installation and you get to see boot screens). Unless you want to buy special power source, your choice will be amd 7950 vs nv 670, maybe non oc nv 680/770

just ask the question in those forums, there is lot of good users. Also if you contact user MacVidCards, he will offer you not only hw working natively with macs (custom efi), but also very good support.

I have a MSI 7970 TFiii OC (R7970-TF3OC-BE | MSI AMD Radeon HD)

I have not been able to get this working yet. When I set the Internal Graphics to 1st - and internal to disable I got a few warnings regarding bad bios settings?

Also I have noticed that when I log back into the bios my settings (sometimes) have been changed. (probably by the Video Card?).

What system description should I be using? iMac? Or Mac Pro? Any which version is working for you guys?

I don't think this could be a card issue- as many of the other MSI cards (7970's) are reported as working...

I am running a z77x-ud5h with F14. Also 10.8.4.

Any help would be REALLY appreciated! You guys rock!

Cheers

Hi guys.I have tried a couple of combinations with 7850 .First I am with Chimera 2.1.1 + ML 10.8.3 ,I can use Graphics Enabler=Yes now,but this do not change anything ,still need sleeptrick and still cannot use 7850 as Primary, I have to use the Intel hd4000 as primary set at 96mb with manual strings in org.chameleon.Boot.plist .The graphics card is showed : AMD Radeon HD 7xxx .Then I have updated to 10.8.4 and 7850 is No go! In system information it is showed as HD7850 which finally it is recognised,but none of my 3 connected montiors to the AMD card are usable,they cannot be turned on,The SLEEP trick does NOT work either!I canNOT put my system to sleep with 10.8.4.If I set up my PCIE card to be primary I have gibberish text and Chimera does not boot so with 10.8.4 is still no go for AMD 7xxx series set as primary.I have fourth monitor connected to intel HD4000 and now this is the only monitor that works.Strange thing with 10.8.4 ,AMD cards is recognized correctly,but no signal to the monitors from the AMD card,and Intel hd4000 is fully working without any strings or modifications(only set as Primary in Bios and 96MB config).Now the Intel HD4000 is recognized as 768MB ,before was 512mb.The intel hd 4000 is fully working out of the box( I havent tried to change the VRAM to different number than 96 MB yet).After trying this ,I have restored my 10.8.3 from 10.8.4.The only good news with 10.8.4 is for Intel hd4000,I will wait for a solution for AMD 7000 series,but I think the solution will be with the release of Mavericks.

Ok, i have my HD7770 working. Not perfectly but 3 monitors work.

Problems: Dell U2711 will not display resolution higher than 1920x1080 (native res 2560x1440). Might be because I only have a HDMI cable and no DisplayPort. will report back when i have displayport cable. HD4000 monitor max res 1024x768.

I have IGFX set to primary & enabled. I have a monitor hooked up to internal HD4000 graphics to monitor boot progress mainly. GraphicsEnabler=No. Cleared out S/L/E of Intel & Nvidia kexts, ran multibeast with chimera 2.1.

OMG what are you trying to do? You set the iGPU as the main GFX and then delete the system kexts for it? Makes no sense.

Use Chimera 2.1.1 with GE=Yes and 7xxx will work with no need of the iGPU at all.

Use Chimera 2.1.1 with GE=Yes and 7xxx will work with no need of the iGPU at all.

without sleep trick/fbrotate script?

can someone confirm this please?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back