Contribute
Register

10.8.3: AMD Radeon HD 7xxx Graphics Testing Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do think the Vapor-X does use the generic FrameBuffer, however I don't know if that has caused performance hinderances.

If you're looking for a good overclocked 7970, though, it very well may work. My MSI R7970-2PMD3GD5/OC, while it has the right ports, also uses the generic FrameBuffer, and since DVD Player works I'm under the impression that QE/CI is working.

The only big issue I've found so far is that Unigine Heaven locked up the computer (but it did that on Windows, too, so it may not even be an OS X issue).

Maybe someone else can chime in on how well the generic FrameBuffer works with things that are more QE/CI intensive so we know just how well it works, but I'm thinking it looks like a safe bet.

I do think the Vapor-X does use the generic FrameBuffer, however I don't know if that has caused performance hinderances.

If you're looking for a good overclocked 7970, though, it very well may work. My MSI R7970-2PMD3GD5/OC, while it has the right ports, also uses the generic FrameBuffer, and since DVD Player works I'm under the impression that QE/CI is working.

The only big issue I've found so far is that Unigine Heaven locked up the computer (but it did that on Windows, too, so it may not even be an OS X issue).

Maybe someone else can chime in on how well the generic FrameBuffer works with things that are more QE/CI intensive so we know just how well it works, but I'm thinking it looks like a safe bet.
I'm actually thinking about getting one of these two 7950s:

SAPPHIRE 100352-2L Radeon HD 7950
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202006

SAPPHIRE 100352-3L Radeon HD 7950
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202026

I would like to get the 3L because of the 2 DVI ports but the 2L version is on your confirmed list so I'm leaning towards that one. I'd rather it working as easily as possible than have another DVI port.

While it looks like the 3L could work, you can always get an HDMI-->DVI cable (the video signal is the same between the two formats) or an active MiniDisplayPort-->DVI converter for the 2L. I can confirm both types of connection work just fine, so there's no issue there.

Thought I'd get a post together here in the graphics section to collect 7xxx testing in the new 10.8.3. Here are some hints/tricks- I'll be publishing an article sometime next week.

I have the MSI Radeon HD 7870, booting via UniBeast MBR formatted disk- GraphicsEnabler=No. You then have to sleep the rig via Power Button, and when it wakes, joy. Not exactly ideal- but here are my test results. Fully working OpenCL/OpenGL and connectors in 10.8.3.

-------------------------------------

Need more info. What MB chipset platform?

After three days of working with P45, Z68, and Z77 chipsets with 10.8.3, a MSI 7950, a Corsair M4 SSD, and 16gb of Corsair Vengeance ram, I am drawing the conclusion that 8.3 is going to be very problematic with ATI 7xxx GPUs.

Nvidia has nothing to worry about here ...

Ritey

So after redoing my UB usb and put my 7750 back in I still can't get it to boot.

All I get is:

boot0: GPT
boot0: test
boot0: test
boot0: *bunch of gibberish*

Is there something else that I am missing? I made sure that I had 10.8.3 redownloaded from app store.

---------------------------------------

Hit the 'boot from' option when you boot and select the USB. Check if there is a 'UEFI' and a generic boot option (two options) for the same usb stick. If so, do not select the UEFI option and it will clear this up for you.

My xfx 7950 finally works after two days of failed attempts.After frst boot with -x -v i instald clover,and immediately after thet i installed easy beast and sleep enabeler kext for 10.8 .
After second normal boot i get white screen,i put my pc to sleep,,and after weaking it FINALY WORKD.

http://youtu.be/YTJF4DG0d9Q

That's good news for my Vapor-X 6GB 7970. On Thursday I'll post back with results for sure!

Is the DVI-VGA adapter working? :( Because i will buy soon computer parts like :

i3-3225/3220
4GB DDR3 1333MHz
MSI H77MA-G43 ( http://biosrepo.wordpress.com/msi/ on this website i have a flashed 1.9 bios :D )
ASUS DVD-RW Drive

I'm having problems too :(

My board is a Gigabyte Z77-UP5 TH. Here are the steps I followed:

1) Clean install of 10.8.3 (using Unibeast USB stick), and using the integrated graphics for video.
2) Use Multibeast, and get a working system.
3) Install the Clover bootloader.
4) Shut down.
5) Insert my MSI R7970, and connect my display to it via HDMI port.
6) Power-up.

OSX clearly boot up, as I can hear the 7970 fan get whisper quiet (as when drivers load), but all I get is a black screen with the "No Signal" message on it.

So, I reset the system, but this time boot while connected to my integrated graphics. Now everything seems fine. If I look in "System Profiler", my AMD card shows up as it should: "AMD Radeon 7970-X". However, if I connect my display to the card, I once again get a black screen with the "No Signal" message displayed.

Anyone have any ideas of what the problem might be? What can I try to get this working?

Also, I noticed that after I installed Clover, my system type got changed from 'Mac Pro 5,1' to 'imac 12,2'; is there some way to change it back to 'Mac Pro 5,1'?

Thanks in advance for any help!

For the vapor.x 7970 3gb I did some more testing.

Don´t really know how to test the QE/Ci tried the ripple effect, chess and the screensaver, all good :)
DVD Player works fine ( Lg blu ray player with dvd movie).

On which settings is your unigine heaven locked up ? same on unigine valley ?

let me know if I can test anything else.

cheeers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back