Contribute
Register

Z690 Chipset Motherboards and Alder Lake CPU

Thanks! It's much clearer now…

In IORegistryExplorer, is X86PlatformPlugin attached under the first CPU?
Have you tried with @vandroiy 's data provider kext?
I was kicking myself all night for that.

Correct, I’ve got X86PlatformPlugin and am using @vandroiy's data provider.

Screen Shot 2022-03-22 at 8.47.59 AM.png

This is not EFI's fault, only memory timing. You have 4x16GB 2666MHz, and I 2x32GB 3600mhz. I noticed that this motherboard has problems as you put four memory bones. It's better to work on two.
Hi ori69,
Thanks for your reply. I have removed two ram and set "maximum cpu performance +1" on bios setting.
But result are same I have tested several times. It's increased a bit because of "maximum cpu performance +1".
If possible please share your EFI, I want to try with your EFI.

Thanks a lot.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-03-24 at 12.01.08 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-24 at 12.01.08 AM.png
    598.9 KB · Views: 73
I have a successful up-and-running Monterey on an i7 12700 with Asus Prime Z690-P DDR4. It seemed like the CPU isn't running in full performance (https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/13780898).

Was wondering if my SSDT-PLUG-ALT.aml is actually working properly as my processors are named PR00, PR01 and so on, and the SSDT-PLUG-ALT.aml uses CP00, CP01 and so on.

Tried renaming all CP00, CP01... to PR00, PR01... in SSDT-PLUG-ALT.aml, but then it won't get pass kernal.

Attachments

• Working EFI.zip
    4.1 MB · Views: 246
Hi ori69,
Thanks for your reply. I have removed two ram and set "maximum cpu performance +1" on bios setting.
But result are same I have tested several times. It's increased a bit because of "maximum cpu performance +1".
If possible please share your EFI, I want to try with your EFI.

Thanks a lot.
But you still have a memory set for 2400mhz, and I have on 3600mhz. Therefore, my performance is greater. Set the XMP profile on these 2 memories.

I have a successful up-and-running Monterey on an i7 12700 with Asus Prime Z690-P DDR4. It seemed like the CPU isn't running in full performance (https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/13780898).

Was wondering if my SSDT-PLUG-ALT.aml is actually working properly as my processors are named PR00, PR01 and so on, and the SSDT-PLUG-ALT.aml uses CP00, CP01 and so on.

Tried renaming all CP00, CP01... to PR00, PR01... in SSDT-PLUG-ALT.aml, but then it won't get pass kernal.
That's because the SSDT-PLUG-ALT is not the one that needs to be edited but SSDT-CPUR - that's the one required to define the CP00 for Alder Lake and that requires 64 variables (which I have adjusted in my build). In my Asus Z690 Prime P D4 build the SSDT-PLUG-ALT is left as is. I have experimented with it enough to say the performance is best when set using SMBIOS MacPro1,1. Anyways this is what I achieved Geekbench and Cinebench. For the Cinebench I achieved this top score using all cores but no hyperthreading enabled:

Screenshot 2021-11-12 at 7.49.31 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-11-16 at 3.01.23 PM.png

I attach a copy of my EFI if you're interested. You are welcome to test it.

Attachments

• EFI copy.zip
    18.9 MB · Views: 172
Last edited:

Names are just names—arbitrary 4-byte sequences.

SSDT-CPU-WRAP and SSDT-PLUG-ALT essentially do the same thing: Defining CPU objects that macOS can use. You need ONE of those, but not both.

In this case, CPU-WRAP does nothing because you've taken the version for C621, which has a socket object in the path and this socket object is not present on Z690. The right version is SSDT-CPU-WRAP-Z690.aml, and this is then used with a SSDT-PLUG.aml which attaches the power management plug-in to _SB.CP00, as defined in SSDT-CPUR-Z690.

The easier solution is to remove SSDT-CPU-WRAP and just use SSDT-PLUG-ALT.aml, which defines processors and attaches power management. Then we'll have to investigate why CPU power management does not work on this MSI board. (So far, I'm clueless… :banghead: )

But you still have a memory set for 2400mhz, and I have on 3600mhz. Therefore, my performance is greater. Set the XMP profile on these 2 memories.
Thanks for your reply. I just wanted to check with your EFI. Please send me your EFI if possible.
Thanks.

Names are just names—arbitrary 4-byte sequences.

SSDT-CPU-WRAP and SSDT-PLUG-ALT essentially do the same thing: Defining CPU objects that macOS can use. You need ONE of those, but not both.

In this case, CPU-WRAP does nothing because you've taken the version for C621, which has a socket object in the path and this socket object is not present on Z690. The right version is SSDT-CPU-WRAP-Z690.aml, and this is then used with a SSDT-PLUG.aml which attaches the power management plug-in to _SB.CP00, as defined in SSDT-CPUR-Z690.

The easier solution is to remove SSDT-CPU-WRAP and just use SSDT-PLUG-ALT.aml, which defines processors and attaches power management. Then we'll have to investigate why CPU power management does not work on this MSI board. (So far, I'm clueless… :banghead: )
Thanks for explaining! I think I found the missing piece - I didn't use the updated CPUFriendDataProvider.kext that tweaks the Alder Lake CPUs to its max usage. Information is still kinda scattered and I missed on that part.

In case anyone stumbles into the same problem - use CPUFriend and the following CPUFriendDataProvider.kext!

Attachments

• 487281_CPUFriendDataProvider-RKL.zip
    3.6 KB · Views: 102
Hi all! Let me know if this is not the right thread for this.

I've got a new 12900K build that has been working nicely for a few months, but I'm having trouble getting its Thunderbolt 4 to work with OpenCore for my new Studio Display.

I have the MSI Z690i, which I believe has a JHL8540 Thunderbolt 4 controller. I've seen other posts in this forum with tweaks for that controller, but those seem mostly cosmetic. My issue is that OpenCore never reaches the boot picker if I fully enable the controller. The BIOS setting for this is called "DTBT Controller 0". If I enable that BIOS setting, OpenCore won't load.

bios-setting.jpg

Thunderbolt (and the Apple Studio Display) is confirmed working in Windows with full resolution and USB hub / speaker support, so the Thunderbolt controller and Displayport-in are working.

OpenCore seems to be unable to figure out how to output video to the studio display. Here's a (debug mode) log from OpenCore: https://gist.githubusercontent.com/...8982e8792bb235/opencore-2022-03-24-012247.txt

Any ideas?

Attachments

• opencore-2022-03-24-012247.txt
    249.3 KB · Views: 65
Back