Contribute
Register

Z690 Chipset Motherboards and Alder Lake CPU

@wxz8506 There is also an EFI tool called CFGLock.efi by German hackintosher Brumbaer to unlock MSR 0xE2.

We needed this tool in the early days of the z490 vision d bios, before I had asked gigabyte to include cfglock in their bios like MSI and asus has.

I’m surprised asus z690 hero doesn’t have this option somewhere as well. they did on older asus boards from what I can remember. Bios->advanced->cpu configuration. Scroll down and find cfg lock. Z690 bios could be different.

See e.g., asus viii hero manual at page 3-25 https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1151/MAXIMUS_VIII_HERO/E10343_MAXIMUS_VIII_HERO_UM_WEB.pdf

before we had the option to change cfg-lock in BIOS, @CaseySJ described a manual process. here is a link to the page that gives the process. it is in post 17,276.

Good point, but out of caution, AppleXcpmCfgLokck is enabled in the EFI as distributed so CFGLock should not be the issue.

@wxz8506 There is also an EFI tool called CFGLock.efi by German hackintosher Brumbaer to unlock MSR 0xE2.

We needed this tool in the early days of the z490 vision d bios, before I had asked gigabyte to include cfglock in their bios like MSI and asus has.

I’m surprised asus z690 hero doesn’t have this option somewhere as well. they did on older asus boards from what I can remember. Bios->advanced->cpu configuration. Scroll down and find cfg lock. Z690 bios could be different.

See e.g., asus viii hero manual at page 3-25 https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1151/MAXIMUS_VIII_HERO/E10343_MAXIMUS_VIII_HERO_UM_WEB.pdf
It's a toggleable option in my ASUS z170-Deluxe BIOS, CFG Lock.

Checklist Update:

System is completely stable. No crashes or panics (other than second wake-from-sleep cycle).

Screen Shot 2021-11-13 at 5.34.30 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-11-13 at 5.31.52 AM.png

Last edited:
Can you post the SysReport folder and the opencore-XXX.txt boot log?
Asus may have made some customisation on this high-end board.
OK, I've just been working overtime for a little while. I've uploaded it. Thank you

Attachments

• opencore-2021-11-13-184537.txt
    256 KB · Views: 43
  • opencore-2021-11-13-172716.txt
    256 KB · Views: 38
  • opencore-2021-11-13-135946.txt
    256 KB · Views: 37
  • SysReport.zip
    161.6 KB · Views: 36
  • opencore-2021-11-13-190629.txt
    256 KB · Views: 44
It's a toggleable option in my ASUS z170-Deluxe BIOS, CFG Lock.
I have z590i, z590f and b460i respectively. They are all ASUS motherboards. I installed black apple and didn't operate to unlock CFG. There is no CFG option in BIOS. It is said that ASUS motherboard unlocks CFG by default. Maybe the z690 hero motherboard needs to unlock CFG now. I'll try unlocking CFG through OC.

** Good News **

USB 3.0 ports are working and I'm nearly done with Port Mapping on Mac using USBInjectAll and custom SSDT. Some fine-tuning of the SSDT needed. Windows has not yet been installed.
  • XhciPortLimit must be unchecked.
  • USBInjectAll.kext 0.7.7 must be enabled.
  • SSDT-UIAC-Z690-AERO-G.aml must be enabled.
Consequently:
  • Sleep and Wake is working properly. One cycle only. Second sleep/wake cycle reboots system as was previously mentioned by either (or all) @Middleman @ori69 @sjoseph
    • Two keypresses needed to wake.
For iMac Pro just enable XhciPortLimit and USBInjectAll.kext 0.7.7 then all USB 2/3 ports will show up in Hackintool. then do USB mapping and enable USBports.kext and disable both XhciPortLimit and USBInjectAll. My USB 3.0 ports VS USB Typ-C speed difference benchmark.

Attachments

• USB-3.0.png
    USB-3.0.png
    300.5 KB · Views: 44
  • USB-Typ_C.png
    USB-Typ_C.png
    278 KB · Views: 46

I saw this also, CFGLock is not present as a setting on my Z690 Prime P D4 board too.

Checklist Update:

System is completely stable. No crashes or panics (other than second wake-from-sleep cycle).

View attachment 534225

View attachment 534226
CaseySJ,

For the OpenIntelWireless you could maybe try the Alpha 2.1.0 build? I think that works better on Monterey for some model WiFi cards and older systems. I know that it worked for my Intel AC9560 on the Acer Nitro laptop.

For the USB ports, have you tried the USB Toolbox method using the UTBMap.kext? Also does Bluetooth work?

For system testing and performance boost, I think it would also be a good idea to see how much power it draws at idle and during tests, and to see if using different SMBIOS such as iMacPro1,1 it also boosts the Geekbench score.

You may also want to look at the Dual Tau and Synced Cores setting in BIOS or Gigabyte equivalent, not forgetting enabling XMP and see how much that improves the system score.

Back