Contribute
Register

Z690 Chipset Motherboards and Alder Lake CPU

Just woke up and eager to continue the work!

I owe everyone some more details:
  • GC-Titan Ridge and GC-Maple Ridge have not yet been tested. They are on the agenda, but USB port mapping is first priority.
  • I will install various CPU/GPU/Sensor monitoring apps. However, we have already seen that vit9696 (Acidanthera) is modifying OpenCore for Alder Lake. I suspect VirtualSMC may need some modifications as well.
  • Currently all P-Cores and all E-Cores are enabled, and Hyper Threading is disabled.
  • XhciPortLimit kernel quirk is indeed broken in Big Sur 11.6. Disabling both XhciPortLimit and USBInjectAll shows the first 15 ports. But enabling XhciPortLimit shows the first 14 ports.
    • This suggests that removing some HSxx ports might make SSxx ports visible (total of 15).
  • Fenvi FV-T919 is also not yet installed. I wanted to test on-board Intel WiFi 6 / Bluetooth 5.2. But current OpenIntelWireless drivers are misbehaving in Big Sur. Will re-test on Monterey soon.
My plan is to spend the weekend on finding and fixing problems...and longer if problems persist!
Good to see you're up and ready CaseySJ. You're so eager I think I can almost hear the sound of the latex gloves snapping! :D

Use your V4 boot file to boot from EFI file. After displaying the first picture, the progress bar of the second picture is always suspended here in EB log: Exits: start
Can you post the SysReport folder and the opencore-XXX.txt boot log?
Asus may have made some customisation on this high-end board.

Couple more data points:
  • Time from OpenCore boot picker to Big Sur login screen: 16 seconds.
  • View of built-in audio (Realtek ALC 4080), which is USB-based and therefore AppleALC is not required.
Screen Shot 2021-11-12 at 7.24.25 PM.png

Just woke up and eager to continue the work!

I owe everyone some more details:
  • GC-Titan Ridge and GC-Maple Ridge have not yet been tested. They are on the agenda, but USB port mapping is first priority.
  • I will install various CPU/GPU/Sensor monitoring apps. However, we have already seen that vit9696 (Acidanthera) is modifying OpenCore for Alder Lake. I suspect VirtualSMC may need some modifications as well.
  • Currently all P-Cores and all E-Cores are enabled, and Hyper Threading is disabled.
  • XhciPortLimit kernel quirk is indeed broken in Big Sur 11.6. Disabling XhciPortLimit and enabling USBInjectAll shows the first 15ports.
    • This suggests that removing some HSxx ports might make SSxx ports visible (total of 15).
  • Fenvi FV-T919 is also not yet installed. I wanted to test on-board Intel WiFi 6 / Bluetooth 5.2. But current OpenIntelWireless drivers are misbehaving in Big Sur. Will re-test on Monterey soon.
  • Also ready to install Windows 11 this morning -- will work on this to map USB ports. So much pressure from this thread to Just do It on Windows. :)
Plan is to spend the weekend to find and fix problems - get as many issues sorted out as possible - then begin work on the build guide. The more problems we encounter, the better, because that will help with the Troubleshooting section.

** Good News **

USB 3.0 ports are working and I'm nearly done with Port Mapping on Mac using USBInjectAll and custom SSDT. Some fine-tuning of the SSDT needed. Windows has not yet been installed.
  • XhciPortLimit must be unchecked.
  • USBInjectAll.kext 0.7.7 must be enabled.
  • SSDT-UIAC-Z690-AERO-G.aml must be enabled.
Consequently:
  • Sleep and Wake is working properly. One cycle only. Second sleep/wake cycle reboots system as was previously mentioned by either (or all) @ori69 @sjoseph
    • Two keypresses needed to wake.

Last edited:
Plan is to spend the weekend to find and fix problems - get as many issues sorted out as possible - then begin work on the build guide. The more problems we encounter, the better, because that will help with the Troubleshooting section.
Go Casey Go. Even though I have a M1-Max MBPro 14" The first thing I did this AM was to open this thread and see the progress from last night. I think the one thing Apple did that will take some catching up for INtel and AMD is to put the RAM GPU and other glue on the die. We are seeing a shift to the ultimate System on Chip. I took an apple motion project that took a couple hours to render on my Z390 hack with a really good (but older) graphics card and rendered it on the MB-Pro in 20 min. With that said, I am certain Intel has some pipeline stuff we don't know about yet, or the should :) I still need a desktop Hack (or Mac) so I'm rooting for this one!

** Good News **

USB 3.0 ports are working and I'm nearly done with Port Mapping on Mac using USBInjectAll and custom SSDT. Some fine-tuning of the SSDT needed. Windows has not yet been installed.
  • XhciPortLimit must be unchecked.
  • USBInjectAll.kext 0.7.7 must be enabled.
  • SSDT-UIAC-Z690-AERO-G.aml must be enabled.
Consequently:
  • Sleep and Wake is working properly. One cycle only. Second sleep/wake cycle reboots system as was previously mentioned by either (or all) @Middleman @ori69 @sjoseph
View attachment 534216
USR1? Need it or forget it?

** Good News **
Cheering from the sideline. This thread reminds me of the good old days of the moonshot! Also, it reminds me of the old lines about why do you want to climb Everest? "... because it's there."

My ASUS Rog z690 hero motherboard, BIOS -- > boot -- > does not have the option of CFG lock
before we had the option to change cfg-lock in BIOS, @CaseySJ described a manual process. here is a link to the page that gives the process. it is in post 17,276.

** USB Port Map Complete (for now) **
Gigabyte Z690 Aero G

• Several USB 2.0 ports had to be disabled in order to maintain 15-port limit
  • Attached file SSDT-UIAC-Z690-AERO-G.aml works with USBInjectAll 0.7.7
  • XhciPortLimit needs to be disabled in Big Sur​

Screen Shot 2021-11-13 at 4.55.11 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-11-13 at 4.55.19 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-11-13 at 5.02.16 AM.png

Attachments

• SSDT-UIAC-Z690-AERO-G.aml
    707 bytes · Views: 47
Back