Contribute
Register

Z690 Chipset Motherboards and Alder Lake CPU

I have thought about that for sure. If the E-cores are essentially Atom cores, that means the original macOS Atom kernel could likely be resurrected for this to work to help with the multitasking.
These cores may derive from the Atom line, but they have been upgraded to the full Skylake instruction set, up to and including AVX-2. There is no need for a special kernel: We already know that the E-cores work, thanks to the reports of working P+E cores.
The only issue is that this requires disabling hyperthreading because x86_validate_topology() panics upon detecting a number of threads which is not 1* or 2* the number of cores.

Thanks! PowerManagement is loaded. IntelPowerGadget should allow to test how effective it is.

View attachment 533996

I see some intriguing jumps in addresses… and an easy way to tell cores apart through frequency.
This was with 8 P-cores and hyperthreading, right?
Whenever you reboot with 8 P-cores + 8 E-cores and no hyperthreading, can you take another IOReg to compare with this one?

Interesting point on P-State lower frequency values :

Capture d’écran 2021-11-11 à 16.17.14.png

We have 4 steps before classic 800MHz (0x320):
  • 0x2BC > 700MHz
  • 0x258 > 600MHz
  • 0x1F4 > 500MHz
  • 0x190 > 400MHz
May theses states are for E-Cores ? :)

What about the thunderbolt header ? should he connected somewhere on the motherboard? let me know please where it should be connected. Thanks ++
You have a connector on the motherboard.

gigabyte z690 gaming x-kopia.jpg

is your USB 3.0 port is working? I means have you checked the speed?
These cores may derive from the Atom line, but they have been upgraded to the full Skylake instruction set, up to and including AVX-2. There is no need for a special kernel: We already know that the E-cores work, thanks to the reports of working P+E cores.
The only issue is that this requires disabling hyperthreading because x86_validate_topology() panics upon detecting a number of threads which is not 1* or 2* the number of cores.

Hi all please try this quirk in opencore to disable cpu topology check !

ProvideCurrentCpuInfo
Type: plist boolean
Failsafe: false
Requirement: 10.8
Description: Provides current CPU info to the kernel.
This quirk currently provides the correct TSC and FSB values to the kernel, as well as disables CPU topology validation.
Note: These patches currently target Microsoft Hyper-V and may need to be extended for other purposes.

Hi all please try this quirk in opencore to disable cpu topology check !

ProvideCurrentCpuInfo
Type: plist boolean
Failsafe: false
Requirement: 10.8
Description: Provides current CPU info to the kernel.
This quirk currently provides the correct TSC and FSB values to the kernel, as well as disables CPU topology validation.
Note: These patches currently target Microsoft Hyper-V and may need to be extended for other purposes.
If they don't try this, I will... :)

** Little Announcement **

I decided to assemble an Alder Lake system after all. The plan is to start with a reasonably priced Z690 DDR4 board. This means no on-board Thunderbolt.

Components ordered yesterday:
Components already on hand:
ETA for all parts:
  • Tomorrow (Friday the 12th)
P.S. I have no need for this system; this is pro bono (for the public good). :)
That's the kind of news...!!

So I'm going to join the crew.
I get an ITX Z690 (sff addicted) with i5 12600KF
Only issue we haven't got many boards yet in Europe/Italy

Back