Contribute
Register

Z690 Chipset Motherboards and Alder Lake CPU

Any updates on what's working or not? I am going to order the Z690 motherboard but not sure which to get, (the more PCI E lanes the better for me, I need to slide a BMD Decklink mini monitor 4K etc)...I am also going with the 12900k..Just waiting to make sure not too much troubles with this motherboard. Thank you legends !

Hi all please try this quirk in opencore to disable cpu topology check !

ProvideCurrentCpuInfo
Type: plist boolean
Failsafe: false
Requirement: 10.8
Description: Provides current CPU info to the kernel.
This quirk currently provides the correct TSC and FSB values to the kernel, as well as disables CPU topology validation.
Note: These patches currently target Microsoft Hyper-V and may need to be extended for other purposes.
System restart in loop when I enable this quirk.

Does Thunderbolt work on your Gigabyte B550 Vision D build?
@ori69 has already mentioned that GC-Titan Ridge works on his Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X, including hot plug. This was tested in Big Sur.

On-board Ethernet also works in Big Sur, but not Monterey.

@ori69 has already mentioned that GC-Titan Ridge works on his Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X, including hot plug. This was tested in Big Sur.

I remember he flashed his card, right?

Yes, but I read an article of @Middleman on his Gigabyte B550 Vision D Ryzen build and he said in the article that the thunderbolt was still under testing. I was curious about how it went with his build. Sorry for the confusion, you are right I should have posted my question under his article indeed.

I remember he flashed his card, right?
Yes:

Screenshot 2021-11-09 at 20.44.05.png
Screenshot 2021-11-09 at 20.44.41.png
Screenshot 2021-11-09 at 20.44.14.png

Interesting video from der8auer on the performance of the Alder Lake e-cores.

1 E-core = 20-25% of the die area of a P-core with roughly 33% the performance. So this is definitely a way for Intel to maximize perf per watt per area. An E-Core has roughly the perf of a core in the 7700K.

I'm guessing in the future as the e-core IPC increases, we'll see a higher proportion of E-cores vs P-cores. To conclude, the E-core of today ain't the Atom core of 10 years ago. They're decent.

I will go with Gigabyte Z690 AORUS MASTER and i9-12900K. Today it's Black Friday here. :) But no ddr5 on stock. :(
Finally found this: Memorie Kingston FURY Beast, 32GB DDR5, 5200MHz CL40, Dual Channel Kit. I just hope that mine NZXT Kraken X62 will fit 1700.

@ori69 I have one question which was asked by someone here. You may not read that. How long is your Gaming X POST time? I ask because Gigabyte Z590 Designer takes very long to start booting.

Back