Contribute
Register

XPS 15 9560 MacOS Catalina 15.1 Full Install Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
After some trial and error in eliminating kexts that seems to hang it, I can get to the various "utility" screens--disk utility or install macOS. I've replaced the killer wireless adapter with the DW 1820. -v was super helpful. However, I seem to keep getting kernel panic and crash during the actual Mac OS installation. I believe I have the bios settings correct via the other postings around. I've tried both Mojave and Catalina, and I can't quite get over the finish line. I started with the tools on this thread, but seem to be stuck. Any suggestions appeciated. Thanks.

Last edited:
After some trial and error in eliminating kexts that seems to hang it, I can get to the various "utility" screens--disk utility or install macOS. I've replaced the killer wireless adapter with the DW 1820. -v was super helpful. However, I seem to keep getting kernel panic and crash during the actual Mac OS installation. I believe I have the bios settings correct via the other postings around. I've tried both Mojave and Catalina, and I can't quite get over the finish line. I started with the tools on this thread, but seem to be stuck. Any suggestions appeciated. Thanks.

I've been doing a bit of research and found that a lot of people have issues with the DW1820, and even if they get it working, there may still be some downsides. How does installation go if you continue with the original killer wireless adapter?

I've been doing a bit of research and found that a lot of people have issues with the DW1820, and even if they get it working, there may still be some downsides. How does installation go if you continue with the original killer wireless adapter?
Doesn’t seem to make a difference. It is about 50% of the way through the actual OS installation

Thanks a lot for the guide, installation was very smooth despite it being my first hackintosh build ever. Nearly everything seems to be working as outlined in your guide!

I've been having issues with plugging in a second display. I currently have a 4k Philips 27 inch monitor that I used to hook up through USB-C or HDMI, but hooking it up through USB-C results in a reboot and plugging in through HDMI results in a black screen that only disappears on force reboot (power button).

I'm running the 1080p model with an i7-7700HQ and 16GB of ram, and have internet access through an external USB Wi-Fi dongle.

I have fully adhered to the guide and have not installed any other kexts. Since I'm a total beginner I honestly would not know where to start looking to solve this problem, so any help would be much appreciated!

Completely lost my OS X Boot option. I am dual booting Windows 10 on the same HD.

My Windows 10/High Sierra dual boot build was working well for a long time. Recently my Windows partition just disappeared. Unable to recover and no working backup, I am now trying to install either Mojave or Catalina on it. I was able to install and boot in newer OS but when I migrate data from a backup of the old OS using migration assistance it goes into kernel panic after the migration finished and goes into a neverending reboot loop. Any suggestions on how I can solve this issue? Also, it would be really nice if I can get the USB-C to work for video & audio. It would be great if there is a solution for that, otherwise, I'll just have to switch to using HDMI.

***UPDATE*** Feb 14, 2020
I figured out that when I use Migrate Assistant it overwrites the kexts in S/L/E folder in Catalina with the ones from High Sierra. Since the list of required kexts between the 2 OS are different it triggered the kernel panic. So I had to manually copy & paste the applications and user files from backup to Catalina and it is stable. Confirm: USB-C supports both video & audio to an external monitor.

Last edited:
My Windows 10/High Sierra dual boot build was working well for a long time. Recently my Windows partition just disappeared. Unable to recover and no working backup, I am now trying to install either Mojave or Catalina on it. I was able to install and boot in newer OS but when I migrate data from a backup of the old OS using migration assistance it goes into kernel panic after the migration finished and goes into a neverending reboot loop. Any suggestions on how I can solve this issue? Also, it would be really nice if I can get the USB-C to work for video & audio. It would be great if there is a solution for that, otherwise, I'll just have to switch to using HDMI.

***UPDATE*** Feb 14, 2020
I figured out that when I use Migrate Assistant it overwrites the kexts in S/L/E folder in Catalina with the ones from High Sierra. Since the list of required kexts between the 2 OS are different it triggered the kernel panic. So I had to manually copy & paste the applications and user files from backup to Catalina and it is stable. Confirm: USB-C supports both video & audio to an external monitor.

I've been wanting to use an external display but plugging one in always results in a black screen that only goes away on force reboot... It's literally the only thing that's keeping me from using Catalina as my main driver and I haven't been able to find a solution. Would you mind sharing your list of Kexts? Thanks!

Hi, thank you for the guide. However, even though the Wifi card appears in System Information, it will not turn on. Any ideas on how to fix this? Thanks!

I've been wanting to use an external display but plugging one in always results in a black screen that only goes away on force reboot... It's literally the only thing that's keeping me from using Catalina as my main driver and I haven't been able to find a solution. Would you mind sharing your list of Kexts? Thanks!
Just updated to Catalina from Mojave today, at first HDMI was working with no issues. However it stopped working after installing a Catalina software update. After the update, I had to use kernel flag -disablegfxfirmware to be able to boot. Only now am I unable to use HDMI. Are you using this flag or using a fakeID for your IntelGFX? I'm also stuck on this and trying to figure out a way around it.

Just updated to Catalina from Mojave today, at first HDMI was working with no issues. However it stopped working after installing a Catalina software update. After the update, I had to use kernel flag -disablegfxfirmware to be able to boot. Only now am I unable to use HDMI. Are you using this flag or using a fakeID for your IntelGFX? I'm also stuck on this and trying to figure out a way around it.
Update:
I got HDMI to work, reverted back to my stable Mojave install with a time machine backup and updated to Catalina ver. 10.15.1 from the Mac App Store. After the initial Catalina update I DID NOT install any further updates. This is where I ran into HDMI issues yesterday. I would like to run the most recent build of Catalina, but it's obviously not the end of the world to run an older build, this solution works for me. Give this a shot if you can or let me know if anyone else is having this problem.

Edit: currently not using the above kernel flag on this build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back