Contribute
Register

XFX RX 6950 XT Crashing my System!

@kSilva

If that is the case (of the system crashing after running an app) it may well be to do with power management settings. Check if you have implemented any power management solutions such as SSDT-PLUG or DummyPowerManagement has been enabled in Kernel > Quirks. If problems after this still occur ie. It crashes then you may need to use something like CPUFriend to help stabilise the system.

Not sure if the ADATA drive which uses the SMI SM2262EN controller would have the same issue, I doubt it would to be honest. But that was the whole point of using a different drive, to see if the same issues occurred in your system.

So now you need to look at some other troubleshooting steps.

Sleep & Power management, CPU and systemwide should be checked by reviewing the steps in these guides -

I would reiterate the importance of temporarily removing any other drives and peripherals while troubleshooting the system. As it could just as easily be another drive or device connected to the system that is causing the issue.

Hey fellas, I found an M.2 drive (XPG 1TB SX8200PNP) that I used before in the same rig with Monterrey installed in it. Only reason I removed that drive was because I upgraded to the current 4TB PNY in which I did a clean install. So, I went ahead and booted it up with the EFI bootloader that I had setup for the 6950xt card. Everything loaded up fine, I updated Geekbench and Lightroom to the latest version, however when I ran Geekbench the computer crashed and rebooted. I also tried Lightroom and it also crashed.
Do you think the issue is still the M.2 Drive, does that XPG also have issues, should I still try to buy at WD_Black?
The Dortania guide doesn’t recommend SSDs that use 3D Nand flash memory so maybe that XPG drive isn’t optimal but I’m not sure now either drive is the culprit. Maybe.
When you tested under windows you ran geekbench and it was fine? Also curious what your CPU temps are in OSX or Windows under load. Seems worthwhile asking if you’ve checked that out.

Hey guys I have an update.
I'm able to run Geekbench without the computer shutting down and re-starting. I also did a stress test and benchmark with Unigine’s Heaven without any issues.

Here is the problem:
Every time I use any of the AI features of Lightroom such as noise reduction or masking it shuts down. Adobe says "The quickest and easiest way to determine if the problem is with your video adapter or driver is to disable the Use Graphics Processor preference" I did that and it did not make a difference, it still continues to have the same issue whether that feature is disabled or not.
Additionally, this problem even happens on Windows ( in Lightroom, when I apply noise reduction or masking)
But here's the kicker, when I use the AI features in Lightroom with my Radeon VII GPU the computer doesn't shut down.
This makes no sense at all. Can anyone please shine some light. Could it be the PSU? It already has a 850W. I wonder if it will matter if I install a 1200W PSU.

Can any of you smart people shed some light on possible solutions?

If the issue was with the PSU, it would happen in other Apps and at other times, not just affect your use of Lightroom. So unless you have need for a 1200W PSU save your money.

Given the issue occurs in Windows and macOS with your new GPU, I would lean towards there being a bug in Lightroom, which affects the graphics processes when you are using the RX 6950 XT. Adobe are never going to admit this, so you may need to revert to using your Radeon VII.

Can you RMA the RX 6950 XT and buy an RX 6900 XT instead?

The older RX 6900 XT may not have the same issues in Lightroom. I don't recall anyone on this site reporting any issues when using Lightroom when they are using a Navi or Big Navi GPU. Other than you of course.

Can you RMA the RX 6950 XT and buy an RX 6900 XT instead
Yes, I'm still within the 30 day window. I'll take your advice, return it, get the 6900 XT and avoid all of the headaches.
I'll report back once I'm up and running with the new card.
Also, is there any particular GPU variant within the same price range that you recommend?

Thanks again.

I haven't heard of any not working, so the normal Sapphire, PowerColor, Gigabyte, MSI, Asus and XFX cards are OK.

All depends on price, as the RX 6900 XT cards may not be available in the same way the RX 6950 XT cards are, or at the same price point.

Hi KSilva,

So I've had a quick look at your EFI you posted earlier (as I have a RX6800 & RX6600 on various systems). And I came across what seems to be 4 potential issues that may be causing your system crash problem.

1) The first is that you seem to still have an Intel IGPU attached to the setup. I would recommend this being removed:

Screenshot 2023-07-25 at 12.02.15 PM.png

2) You don't have any tools installed, not even OpenShell:

Screenshot 2023-07-25 at 12.05.20 PM.png

3) You are using iMac19,1 SMBIOS for the card instead of MacPro7,1 (biggest culprit imho)

Screenshot 2023-07-25 at 12.06.56 PM.png

4) You've not turned on EnableVectorAcceleration under UEFI > Quirks which vastly helps with the GPU's ability to work smoother under macOS

Screenshot 2023-07-25 at 12.10.36 PM.png

Can you RMA the RX 6950 XT and buy an RX 6900 XT instead?

The older RX 6900 XT may not have the same issues in Lightroom.

I have some bad news

As suggested, I ordered a brand new XFX RX 6900 XT (Speedster SWFT 319) and I'm having the exact problem I had with the RX 6950 x. It shuts down and reboots whenever I try to use the denoise feature in in Lightroom.m.m on additional it takes a lot longer to boot after the çmm

That is bad news. Must be a bug in the software that causes the crash. Your guess is as good as mine as to who to contact Adobe or AMD to see what they say about this issue.

Have you checked the LR forum to see if anyone else has encountered this issue?

Back