Contribute
Register

X99 Sierra installation problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
LOL!
I thought you were referring to "ghosts" "Phantoms" or "bogus" boot menu options we might encounter in Clover Boot Manager screen!
X 99 and X79 are two of the most difficult Motherboards to install Mac in my experience. Often their USB-3.0 ports don't work or actually play havoc to USB Installer disk by frequent crash. in my GA-X79-UP4 the integrated USB 3.0 ports are permanently disabled by me and I am using PCIE USB 3.0 add-on cards! Additionally the Sierra USB Installer and later the System disk required DSDT and SSDT to be able to boot to install and function without KPs.

I suggest doing your research on your X99 installation from Tonymac and other forums to come up with a strategy. Ideally choose the video card others with a successful installation of macOSSierra used on a X99 system to reduce any problem from Graphics card added to the issues posed by the System Board

I'm using a Gigabyte X99-SLI with a 6800K of that helps with your searching

At this Pre-Clover Boot Manager entry stage of booting if there is a crash, the cause is either in the BIOS setup options or with the Sierra USB Installer creation.

Er, no. This is not 'pre-clover'. The only thing preclover is the BIOS which loads a UEFI bootloader (Clover in this case). And no, the problem is with neither of those things.

The row of pluses '++++++++++++++' is just a very basic progress bar shown by Clover (since, as I said, this is not 'pre-clover' in any way, shape, or form - this is long after clover has loaded successfully) while it is loading the macOS kernel. After the '+++++++++++++'es, Clover leaves the picture entirely and hands off control to the macOS kernel, so that row of pluses represents the last thing you ever see from Clover when booting.

Failure to even load the kernel is caused by a motherboard allocating memory-mapped hardware to the same address space that the macOS kernel wants to use.

Note, some distinctions: If you just get stuck at the screen with the ++++++++ pluses, meaning it freezes there but you can still see the pluses and it just stays like that indefinitely, this means the kernel failed to load and it is the issue I just mentioned.

If your computer reboots immediately after the ++++++++++ pluses, or the +++++++++'s disappear but you are stuck at a black screen then the macOS kernel successfully loaded. And immediately kernel panic'ed before any output at all could even be shown. Depending on if the macOS kernel is able to correctly determine how to tell your machine to reboot (from its DSDT table), your machine will either insta-reboot or stall. Either way, the ++++++++'s will be gone.

That is a totally different problem than being stuck at the pluses, and is caused by having an unsupported CPU. Fortunately, you can fix it by using a fake cpuid. The macOS kernel probes your CPU to identify it, and if it doesn't match an incomplete list of possible intel CPUs, the kernel panics and reboots. Thankfully, this is due to a hard coded behavior rather than a real problem. I suggest using 0x306F2 for Broadwell CPUs.

If you get stuck on PCI Configuration Begin, then you didn't follow the various X99 guides available (including mine), because you can't boot Wellsberg/X99 chipsets without applying a kernel patch that gets you passed the PCI configuration step. Also, make sure 'Above 4G Dencoding' is turned OFF in your bios, it can cause this as well.

As for the topic of this thread, the memory map allocation problem...

You'll only be able to solve this by:

1. Finding the correct allocation fix for clover to use (those driver64efi files).
2. Moving or removing the hardware whose memory mapping is conflicting with the macOS kernel space

If you drop into the EFI shell from clover or your BIOS and use memmap to dump the actual hardware memory map and see what is causing the problem. If you don't know how to do that already, it's probably not worth your time to learn everything you need for a memory map to be useful anyway, so don't worry about doing this :).

So, let's eliminate other possible sources of issues. Please perform these steps:

1. Flash the most recent BIOS to your motherboard if it doesn't already have it. This is important, don't skip it.

2. Regardless of whether you had to flash your BIOS or not, do a hard CMOS reset by removing your CMOS battery from the motherboard and shorting the CMOS reset jumper (you can find this in your motherboard's manual) for a while. I usually do 30 seconds just to be extra sure. Remove the jumper and put it back to its original position (or whatever, I dunno the exact procedure for your motherboard), put battery back in. The reason for doing this that the AptioV bios doesn't actually wipe the CMOS when you restore defaults, it just, well, writes the defaults to the spot they live. Sometimes some garbage data will be stuck in your CMOS memory, especially if you've been doing lots of hard resets (which is not exactly uncommon with hackintoshing :) ). This can effect the memory map.

3. Figure out the correct fix. Obviously OsxAptioFix2Drv.efi doesn't work for your motherboard. And the Test2.efi fix is only meant for use with MacOS 10.11.3 and earlier, so I'm not sure why you would even try it with 10.12. Of course it didn't work.

https://nickwoodhams.com/x99-hackintosh-osxaptiofixdrv-allocaterelocblock-error-update/

Go there, read, and understand. You should first remove the OsxAptioFix2Drv.efi (and never again should it return to that folder - it doesn't work for you, and never will) and try the OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi fix. Double check that you tried it, and without other conflicting fixes installed along side it even if you think you've already tried that one.

If it doesn't work, then remove it, install OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi included with clover (NOT the 2, the original one), then download and install Test2-2016.efi (which is NOT the same as Test2.efi). Though, I doubt this will work for Sierra. Really, the free2000 fix is what should work. If it doesn't, you'll need to:

4. Move hardware around. Remove anything you can, try moving drives to SATA ports using a different AHCI controller, move your GPU to a different PCIE slot, basically anything that is a pain in the ass is also worth trying =P. Hopefully, you don't actually get to this step thoug.

Also, if you don't know where to get those .efi files I mentioned, you didn't actually follow step 3.

Last edited:
Thank you for your comprehensive answer to the problem the OP had indicated by the initial post. What I meant in my answer was that any crash that a bootable macOS USB installer encounters before it displays the "CLOVER BOOT Manager Screen" can be either from :
  1. Incorrect BIOS Setup option or incompatibilities.
  2. Wrong kext in drivers64UEFI folder-problem with the installer
I did not say it is "pre-clover" as CLOVER EFI is the bootloader the Installer has in its EFI . The word "Pre-CLOVER BOOT MANAGER Screen" is meant to denote the interval between powering the Computer on and the Clover Boot Screen showing up.
I was emphasizing the troubleshoot to be focused on the Installer creation; not on the down stream events like the use of Boot Flags.

If you get stuck on PCI Configuration Begin, then you didn't follow the various X99 guides available (including mine), because you can't boot Wellsberg/X99 chipsets without applying a kernel patch that gets you passed the PCI configuration step. Also, make sure 'Above 4G Dencoding' is turned OFF in your bios, it can cause this as well.

Ok awesome, I will follow your patch for this because I've been stuck at [ PCI Configuration Begin ] for weeks now. I'm fairly certain I have looked at your guide before though but I'll do it and report back:).

I believe OP has gotten past the reallocation error at the beginning and is also stuck at this secondary error of [ PCI configuration Begin ] so if anyone else can share how they got past this step that would be great. I will also report back after trying @metacollin's guide, hopefully that will fix everything!

Last edited:
Update:

After trying @metacollin's kernal patches, I get a "boot failed" error:
IMG_0219.JPG
However, I removed the Broadwell-E CPUID Patch and got back to the [ PCI Configuration Begin ] hang :-/

Again, this in combination with @Rocket88's guide (which is very close to to my specs except I am using the X99A MSI Gaming Pro Carbon motherboard and a 980 Ti) as his guide gets me past the reallocation error but stalls me at the [ PCI Configuration Begin ] hang. Any help/insight would be appreciated :)

For most newcomers to Hackintoshing without deep and extensive background on CPU , Motherboard, Graphics Card, RAM , BIOS , UEFI and the nuts and bolts of Clover EFI bootloader structure and functions , an easy way to look at the various stages of what happens to the system from the time the Power on is initiated after a bootable disk (USB installer or System HD) is connected to the system will be:

• BIOS Setup related
  • Clover >drivers64UEFI contents related
  • Clover config plist related
  • Clover>kexts >numbered folder contents related.
  • /L/E or /S/L/E related
BIOS related depends upon the BIOS version and the BIOS setup menu chosen and saved before booting the first boot device.
These set up options are saved in the CMOS part of BIOS ROM . CMOS is volatile and hence needs constant power to retain the data saved . The MoBo Lithium coin battery with a 10 year life-span keeps the data retained in CMOS. If the battery fails , or removed , or ' the CLEAR CMOS pins are shortened , the stored information will be removed and whatever default instructions in the BIOS ROM will be loaded. Clear CMOS pins should be shortened only with NO POWER going to the board.

Once the firs boot device is chosen its bootloader (Clover EFI Bootloader in the case of Hackintosh) will be loaded in steps. For the very early steps drivers64UEFI folder contents help. If the appropriate OsxAptioFixDrv- is not in the folder you will get a one line error relating to that and System crashes immediately after a series of ++++++.

If the correct drivers are loaded, the next step is reaching the CLOVER Boot Manager Screen. How long it will stay there is determined by the time we have set through Config.plist. From this stage in a Multiboot system using CLOVER as the Bootloader, we will get a chance to switch to the OS of our choice. If we don't choose, after the set time, OS X or MacOS drive will begin to boot.

The next part of the booting process is guided by the boot flags we have already configured through the config.plist or temporarily alterable through Option>Boot Args:- menu by typing in or deleting existing ones.

There are a few other menu below Boot Args: we can also manually configure to make the onward journey of a Installer disk without untoward events to its destination, the installation screen or the system disk to its destination of Login Screen.

As long as these road maps are given and the disk has the right Kexts in its Extensions folder for the OS X kernel to use to access various hardware, booting will be smooth.

If there is any problem such as a hang (freeze) or crash (KP) the fault is with some kexts or the instructions as to how to handle them. Booting the disk in a Verbose mode with boot flag -v makes the diagnosis of the problem a little easier as the GUI with apple logo covers up the ugly part and we have no way to know the cause of Freeze or crash.

A photograph of the problem screen helps if it is uploaded to the Forum. Many might have encountered those problems and some of the experts in this Forum have already found solutions to many. A good search will often show us the answer if the troubleshoot thread has adequate information such as the Hardware specs and proper description of the problem supplemented with ample screen images. This is where anybody posting in this Forum has to pay special attention to the "wigged apple judge with a gavel" and "rules"-link near by to click and read in its entirety.

[ PCI configuration Begin ]
is one of the boot errors relating to Graphics card. Anytime Graphics card is mentioned we should also include the Display Monitor connection. Sierra does not like VGA monitor. So if you have that connection, you may waste a lot time trying to fix problems. The often suggested troubleshoot for "[PCI configuration Begin]" is to add npci=0x3000 or npci=0x2000 to the Options>Boot Args:-

Posting the existing boot Args: to the forum will be helpful to make any other suggestions.
I hope the experts in the Forum will comment/ correct on any flaws in what I have posted so that the readers will derive benefit.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back