Contribute
Register

X299 MSI High Sierra Build - Stable system. Looking for 4K monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone:

I am really excited with this thread, because I'm moving from my old system (a 2011 Acer laprtop running 10.10) to a system similar to yours:
MSI X299 SLI Plus
i7 7820X
Asus GFX1070
and, as a helper card (for installation and until Nvidia releases proper drivers for 10.13), a GF 720.
Also 32GB RAM (Corsair Vengeange).

I am trying to install 10.13 beta (the latest beta I could find).

I've been stuck all morning at "can not allocate relocation block" (with OsxAptioFixDrv) or "Couldn't allocate runtime area" (with OsxAptioFix2Drv and OsxLowMemDrv), until finally I found out that

* OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi fixes that problem

* It is important to fully shutdown the machine before trying to boot it. Reboot does not work and triggers these errors.

Now I am at the "+++++++" & reboot phase. That is, clover prints +++++ (I think this means that the kernel is loading), and then there is a reboot. No text written to the screen.

Can you help me with this?

I downloaded your config.plist and I think I copied the items that matter, but no change in my case.

I wonder what is your UEFI configuration and version? I have the latest (140), and all the default settings. Is there something that you changed in the UEFI?

Thanks again, I hope to be able to instal 10.13 beta!

Hello Paulotex.

My EUFI folder (64) consist of :
EmuVariableUefi-64
FSInject-64
HFSPlus
OsxAptioFixfree2000
OsxFatBinaryDrv-64

Sometimes moving the USB to another port also works.

I can't speak with authority, but I have 3 different setups to navigate the entire process. Here is the first save, which gets me to the Installation screen. Hope it helps.

Attachments

• CLOVER Boot.zip
    1.4 MB · Views: 128
Update 09/11

So I managed to High Sierra up and running again, this time with Radeon Rx560. And with Lilu and whatevergreen installed, worked OOB!!!

But then the inevitable snag came. I couldn't continue with setting up my dual-boot (Windows 10) as the disk keeps reformatting itself to APFS before installing.

So now I've gone back and created 2 partitions before installing. Hopefully this way works better.

Will keep you posted.

Thanks Pete,

I gave it a bash, no luck. So I will just leave my Windows installation on the HDD for now until I have a few rand laying around to buy another SSD.

But now I really need your help.

I'm trying to fix my usb problem, and I don't even know where to start. I've looked at Rehabman's guides but his commentary is targeted at people a lot smarter than me. In short, my system is not picking up any of the USB2 ports. My mouse, keyboard, and more importantly my Bluetooth is all detected as USB3. As such, my Bluetooth isn't working. I've tried working through KPG's guide, but that just broke my registry as I lost half my ports in the process.

Would you be able to point me in the right direction?

Thanks man... my hero :headbang:

Finally I was able to boot the installer, also to install macOS. So far pretty everything works so far, USB, Bluetooth, Audio via HDMI (glad I switched from a 1080 to a Vega 64)..

well thats my performance out of the box

Could you please post your EFI? I have the same exact motherboard as you, but having some serious issues with getting XCMP to work :(

Hey petrikleynhans! Thanks for your CLOVER. Unfortunately, no change: reboot after ++++, no messages on the screen.I do have a NVME, but I have also tested without it with no result.

Everyone: here's my situation so far:
MoBo is a MSI X299 SLI Plus, like petrikleynhans. Processor is the 7820X.

So far I have been testing with the 10.13 beta 9. Reboot after ++++, no messages.

I have also tested with the 10.12.6 installer. There is a smaller difference: the system freezes at the ++++. No reboot, but nothing else as well.

My USB port for the installer is the one marked for Flash BIOS. It is USB 2.0 and it has the most success in avoiding the Clover errors:
"Couldn't allocate runtime area"
"can not allocate relocation block"

I am using the latest Clover I could find and I am using a Macbook Pro to install it on the USB.

Both installers work fine on other machines (I tried on another desktop and laptop, both a few years old).

This machine has Windows 10 and Linux installed, and both seem to be working fine, with all hardware (GPU, RAM, CPU, Wifi, USB) recognized.

This starts to point to a UEFI setting. I have done most of my attemps with the latest UEFI (140), but today I did a few tries with the first one (100). But no changes, the same behaviour.

I have used the default UEFI configuration, just disabling both "Intel Virtualization Tech" and "VT-D".

RAM is in quad mode @ 2133MHZ. I have also tried with just one memory bank. No difference.

petrikleynhans, could you tell me your UEFI version and what you changed from default? Perhaps there is some problem there?

Thanks everyone for the help. I am still stuck, but learning a lot.

Paulo

Update 09/12

Thanks Pete. Even in my twirl down says USB3 though.

But unfortunately that will have to wait as I have more pressing issues:

1. I can't get Multibeast to create EFI on the APFS-formatted SSD where High Sierra is installed. I partitioned the drive before installation, so I have a HFS formatted partition and the EFI folder ended up there. Is it going to be a problem going forward? Also, once Multibeast for HS is released, will I be able to create an EFI folder on MacOS HS and delete the one on Render Disk, where it's living at the moment?

2. I cannot for the life of me get a stable boot setup. Using the USB, I have about a 1-in-3 success rate. But booting from the SSD, it's 0. I keep getting memory allocation errors, no matter what combination I run. Surely if you use the setup that boots from the USB, you should have success from hard drive as well?

Am I missing something here? Where should I start troubleshooting?

This starts to point to a UEFI setting. I have done most of my attemps with the latest UEFI (140), but today I did a few tries with the first one (100). But no changes, the same behaviour.

I have used the default UEFI configuration, just disabling both "Intel Virtualization Tech" and "VT-D".
Paulo

Hey Paulo,

I used optimized default (think it's F6), and then I just disabled VT-D. That's it.

What I can say is that I'm hopping around on USB ports a lot. I have 4 front USB ports, and I'm jumping from one to the other, alternating between reboots and shut downs. No real method to the madness there, but I do get it to go every 4th time or so.

If you're still stuck, try this one. It's not mine, but it might work for you. It worked for me the first time I tried installing HS.

Attachments

• CLOVER.zip
    3.7 MB · Views: 112
Hi pete1959:

Thanks for the suggestions: repair permissions, VoodooTSCSync kext, and the BIOS settings. But I don't think they apply to me at this very early stage:

There is no installation yet, I'm still trying to boot from the USB. So I think there are no permissions to be repaired. The USB is built fresh, and I can use it to start installation on another (older) machine.

The kernel does not load yet. I see no output after a series of ++++. So I'm still before any kext load.

And about the BIOS: if I do
Legacy USB Support = disabled
I can't boot from USB.

So in general, I will use them for sure once the installation is done, but for now, things are at a much earlier stage.

Update 9/13

Reformatted the SSD to single partition which resolved the EFI issue. Not getting a stable boot from SSD. From USB I have to boot in USB3port, get memory alloc error, restart (not switch off and on), switch to USB2 to boot in.

Edit: I've replaced my EFI on the SSD with an old Nvidia EFI that was stable. I've now shut down 4 times and restarted twice in a row. :) But it brings with it a lot of clutter so now I'll have to clean it up again.

I am also trying to get the power management sorted.
Once these are sorted, I feel that my system is good enough to install Adobe Suite on and start working.

Pete,

Can you pass any advise on the best way to go about getting power management on the X299 / Skylake X setup? I'll literally changing one setting at a time at the moment, so I don't want to go off on a wrong tangent. I've switched from SMBIOS 14,2 to 17,1 which has made a huge difference.

Edit: since the switch to the "Nvidia" EFI, my power management is broken again.:(

Then I also have a few questions for you if you don't mind.
  1. What is the purpose of the SMBIOS setting? What do they do, and why select the ones we're selecting? I managed to get HS installed using imac 14,2. Now I'm on 17,1, but you said a while ago you went up to Mac Pro 6,1. I don't understand what drives these decisions. Could you enlighten me?
  2. What settings should I use for KCMP?
thanks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back