Contribute
Register

X299 MSI High Sierra Build - Stable system. Looking for 4K monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi pete1959:

Thanks for the suggestions: repair permissions, VoodooTSCSync kext, and the BIOS settings. But I don't think they apply to me at this very early stage:

There is no installation yet, I'm still trying to boot from the USB. So I think there are no permissions to be repaired. The USB is built fresh, and I can use it to start installation on another (older) machine.

The kernel does not load yet. I see no output after a series of ++++. So I'm still before any kext load.

And about the BIOS: if I do
Legacy USB Support = disabled
I can't boot from USB.

So in general, I will use them for sure once the installation is done, but for now, things are at a much earlier stage.
Hey Paulo,

I also struggle with the row of plusses a lot. The only way I managed to get past it, is to try as many different EFI's as you can find.

There's one from Fabiosun that I found helpful, also visit Pete's thread on his successful X299 build, KPG has a few. Somewhere I always managed to find one that got me past the hump. All the best!

Thanks for all the support guys!

I am now thinking it might be the beta version I am trying. I have the beta 9, and I think pete1959, you installed beta 4? At least I think I read in another thread by you that it was the version you used. Are you still using that version or have you upgraded?

And petrikleynhans, what is your beta version?

I am also compiling Clover to add some more debug messages.

Here is a pic of the screen (debug on) before it restarts:

And 2 more questions:
* What is the clover version you are using? I have 4200, which seems to be the latest. Perhaps this one is buggy and you are using another?
* What is the FakeSMC version you are using? I am using Rehabman 2017-0607 (version 6.5-333-1759), which is the most recent I could find.

Perhaps the problem is in one of these items?

Note:
I have tried other CLOVER, like the one from pete1959 and from petrikleynhans, and from other places; it seems the problem is somewhere else...

I have ran some CPU and GPU stress testing in Windows and Linux, and they all went very well. Without OC, the CPU and GPU stay at around 65C under load. I have a nice Noctua D15 CPU fan ;-) But I think this shows that my hardware is in good shape.

Hey Paulo,

Did you check that your CFG is disabled in BIOS? Also try different USB ports. Also try a USB3 stick if USB2 doesn't work and vice versa.

I honestly don't know which version of clover or FakeSMC I'm using as it has all been patched together. Try the one from pete (somewhere in this thread), he cleaned it out which is good.

I'll let you know if I think of something else, just keep trying.

Did you check that your CFG is disabled in BIOS?
Yes!!!!! That was the issue! Thank you! Now I can stop spamming your thread and go back to normal installation issues ;-)

Thank you all for the help!

Yes!!!!! That was the issue! Thank you! Now I can stop spamming your thread and go back to normal installation issues ;-)

Thank you all for the help!
Awesome!

Keep in touch, you might be able to help me finish off my build, I still have issues to resolve. And I believe there are many MSI hackers out there that really struggle to find content specific help.

Cheers,

Hi petrikleynhans and pete1959 I just finished installation! I have the usual problems (missing USB3, missing audio), but it sleeps and performs beautifully. I am away this weekend, so post-install activities will begin on Monday evening.

petrikleynhans, are you happy if I post here a step by step guide on how to do the installation? I started from scratch, so it might help others with the same system. Or perhaps should I use your original thread, in a way of conclusion? I just think that starting a new thread on the MSI SLI Plus installation is a bit unnecessary...

Hey Paulo, congrats! :clap::headbang:

Regarding USB3, install USBInjectall.kext and XHCI-200-series-injector.kext into your system using a kext installer.
Regarding audio, I found this worked for me. Add AppleALC to your kext folder in Clover. Then download and install the VoodooHDA application (not the driver or the kext, the one that installs to your system preference.

You're welcome to post here. However, I'm going to update this thread myself once everything is sorted (I'm still struggling to get Bluetooth, I need to hide the other EFI folders on startup etc.) Also, I think you deserve to create your own thread and stake claim to say you've built a successful hackintosh. I for one am looking forward to create the [SUCCESS] tag!

All the best, hope you enjoy your new Mac,
Petri

Hi petrikleynhans:

I am having trouble doing any DSDT editing/patching with MacIASL, because the disassembly of the unpatched DSDT does not compile. I open MacIASL, it extracts the default DSDT and, without patching anything, I press compile. I get compile errors.

Did you also got these and were you able to solve them? This stops me from fixing the USB ports, because I can't compile the DSDT with the ports renamed.

I have decided to use VoodooHDA for sound, since it works without any DSDT patching. It is not perfect (I can't control the volume of the HDMI output on the Mac, have to do it on the monitor), but it is good enough.

I haven't tested the Ethernet ports yet, don't know if they work without any patching. Have you tested them?

And on power management: The default power management after the installation was already good. The machine sleeps and wakes fine, and the idle was not too bad. A bit noisy around 15W, but ok.

However, I decided to ssdtprgen to generate a SSDT. This allowed me to have a very clean Clover config (just AppleIntelCPUPM in binary patches, and just enable C6 in CPU; ACPI flags are all off), and very good idle power (10W). This also seems to stop some random restarts that I was having. None since implementing this SSDT (fingers crossed).

Thanks for all the help!

Paulo

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back