Contribute
Register

X299 Big Sur Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can download footage from here. I did a quick try in FCPX playing and scrubbing without any problem.

I saw that link, seems like it's all H264 files which are easy to edit.

I did do a quick test from another H265 60p 4k clip (not from a Sony camera) and it seemed ok.

@izo1 test to disable the usb for tb3 in the ssdt - for me it looks like usb3 from tr-tb3 makes trouble in some BS-systems...
It was working fine with Radeon VII.

Now I took out the TB3 card until I can figure it out. Without the TB3 card it's rock solid.

Here no problem between the 6900 XT Reference and Gigabyte Titan Ridge with modified firmware. Big sur 11.4 with SMBIOS IMAC Pro 1.1 (i prefer this based on my hardware), Weg and Adgpmod = Pikera in the boot arg.

Damn, I guess I'm stuck with mine, I've read on some weird Hackintosh forum that they've made it to work with everything. Thanks man..

I saw that too but their setup guide doesnt seem to be complete and seems to be copy and pasted from the thunderbolt 3 stuff. I'm still waiting for them to fully update it.

I just get the ASUS Thunderbolt EX4 card, but you said that it did not work well with macOS. I do not know is there some fixes for this issue?

I only had one thunderbolt device to test so it may work differently for you guys. It does not like the latest BIOS with resizable bar support (BIOS Error Code 00 or 62 depending on if TB settings are enabled or not).

Is it worth the upgrade?

When people ask if the new Navi2 are worth the upgrade, are they asking in reference to the MSRP or the actual market prices that these GPU's are currently going for? Because there is at least $1000 discrepancy in there, and at to me that is a pretty big difference between "it's worth it" to "it's way overpriced for what you get"

Here no problem between the 6900 XT Reference and Gigabyte Titan Ridge with modified firmware. Big sur 11.4 with SMBIOS IMAC Pro 1.1 (i prefer this based on my hardware), Weg and Adgpmod = Pikera in the boot arg.

What firmware version are using for Titan Ridge? If you could post a screenshot System Information > Thunderbolt that would be great. I may have to reflash mine.

What firmware version are using for Titan Ridge? If you could post a screenshot System Information > Thunderbolt that would be great. I may have to reflash mine.

Attachments

• screenshot_03.png
    screenshot_03.png
    298.6 KB · Views: 69
When people ask if the new Navi2 are worth the upgrade, are they asking in reference to the MSRP or the actual market prices that these GPU's are currently going for? Because there is at least $1000 discrepancy in there, and at to me that is a pretty big difference between "it's worth it" to "it's way overpriced for what you get"

I'm a professional video editor
I make a living from the hardware I purchase

The price of the product is not so much the matter in the purchase decision

If I did not know how to make an Hackintosh then surely I would buy a Mac Pro 2019
Then everything there is 10 times more expensive

The question is whether when I have an old RX VEGA 64 or Radeon VII
Will I see better performance with the RX 6900 XT ?

No numbers in the benchmarks
But real-world Work
With new and hard-to-encode files

And the answer is not always clear

Because we've already seen an i7 processor 8700k at $ 300
Beats in its performance 18Core processor (7-9-10 generation) at 1000$
in video Editing Thanks to intel uhd and quick sync technology

As I wrote in the previous post
that my Dual Radeon VII does not bring more performance
in Davinci Resolve or FCPX

So the question is more professional Than financially

I'm a professional video editor
I make a living from the hardware I purchase

The price of the product is not so much the matter in the purchase decision

If I did not know how to make an Hackintosh then surely I would buy a Mac Pro 2019
Then everything there is 10 times more expensive

The question is whether when I have an old RX VEGA 64 or Radeon VII
Will I see better performance with the RX 6900 XT ?

No numbers in the benchmarks
But real-world Work
With new and hard-to-encode files

And the answer is not always clear

Because we've already seen an i7 processor 8700k at $ 300
Beats in its performance 18Core processor (7-9-10 generation) at 1000$
in video Editing Thanks to intel uhd and quick sync technology

As I wrote in the previous post
that my Dual Radeon VII does not bring more performance
in Davinci Resolve or FCPX

So the question is more professional Than financially
My answer to that would be: you will do.

I have a B550 Vision D board with Ryzen 5900X and a RX6800 dGPU. Running on Big Sur 11.4 I see that I am getting a lot of performance out of my system - on Cinebench r23 my system ranks 3rd in multicore (20,000+) compared to Threadripper (1st) - and they beat all other previous Intel scores in the list. VDA decoding and HVEC encoding on this absolutely runs no problem. If you also upgrade your motherboard and/or SSD to something like WD SN850 using PCIe 4.0 you will definitely see much higher gains in video editing because of the extra throughput.

Well... a monkey just teleported in my head guys! So... Anyone had experience with Cascade Lake-W Platform? It's actually the same as the real Mac Pro 2019 (same chipset C621 and same Xeon W-32XX CPUs)

What kind of benefits one would have with it compared to the Skylake HEDT? ok ECC RAM for max stability and more PCIe 3.0 lanes, anything else?

I'm planning to switch to Asus Pro WS C621 Sage - W-3235/W3245 - ECC RAM - 6800XT

Given the actual price I would sell my actual X299 board + 9980XE + NonECC RAM + 5700XT for a pretty penny

Any thoughts on this madness would be greatly appreciated! @ramazarusx I've seen you're actually tryin something similar, updates?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back